MWBytes Freezes up at appwiz.cpl.mui

I recently mistyped the google.com url and typed gogole.com I believe. In doing so Malwarebytes, which I have paid real time scanning activated, popped up and stated that it had stopped access to a bug or what not. Later that evening when Malwarebytes was scheduled to run its auto update and its auto scan my computer crashed. I left it down and went to work when I returned home I began trying to find out what happened. The pc booted fine it gave me the error that it was shut down incorrectly and to start in safe mode etc etc. I chose to start normally. Everything went well no problems. I made sure Malwarebytes could update and ran the update. I also have Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus which worked fine too. I ran full scans and everything came back clean. I then booted in to safe mode and began running malwarebytes full system scan. It made it to this file and the system locked up.

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-appwiz.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_30630be66ffaf1f7\appwiz.cpl.mui

Can anyone help with this problem?

I restarted the system by hard booting and attempted to run the scan again and reached the same problem.

OK, I added the exclusions as you suggested and went ahead and added it in Malwarebytes to exclude Security Essentials as well. I then went back in to safe mode and again it froze. This time it froze on a different file but i noticed the last time it froze was approx 11min in to the scan this time it was 10min 56 sec in to the scan. The file it froze on this time was.

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-authentication-authui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_0dfae70253a9fb02

What I mean by freeze is the computer locks the mouse up and it is non responsive to even the ctrl-alt-delete method. The num lock light still operates so I don't think it is quite a full lock. Any other suggestions?

Sorry to step in....

Why are you scanning in Safe Mode?

Disk Check Instructions

Please do the following, use the instructions appropriate to your version of Windows:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

If no joy,do you think there is any symptoms you suspected you may have malware on the system?

Please let us know how it went.

Thank you :)

Possibly an infection is present. Follow the instructions below and you'll be on your way.:)

We don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Firefox: I was scanning in safe mode due to a potential bug that I thought had caused the crash to begin with. I have already ran a disk check which came back secure. But thank you for the suggestion.

Buttons: I will do as you advised thank you again and sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread. I thought I had read it as this would be the place to ask.

Again thanks to the both of you. I don't think that I am infected all of my scans that do finish come back clean. I was spooked when I got the "Warning pop up" from Malwarebytes when I had mistyped the google address as I spoke of in the first post. My system crashed and it is a 1 month old machine so obviously I had some red flags going off.

I went in to safe mode as that is how I was instructed in my schooling when possibly contending with a bug. that is when i noticed the system hang during the scan process. I am in the process of doing as Buttons suggested now. Again thank you both.

I do not believe I have an infection and am more worried as to possible compatibility issues. I am not sure to be honest. I am running Windows 7 64 bit which I should have stated previously. I may wind up contacting technical support in the long run. I have always had a great experience with forums and figured I'd give it a go here first.

Thanks to you both again!