Updating Adobe reader

I'm having a bit of an issue with purchased pdf files on my sony e-reader, so I thought one thing I might try is updating my Adobe Reader software. I'm currently using 8.2.6 on a Windows XPSP3 system. I don't want to install Adobe Reader X right now because I'm reading that people are having some serious issues with it. I would like to go to a version 9.x. (I already have Adobe's link to older versions of Adobe Reader).

Just one question: Do I have to uninstall 8.x before I install 9.x, or will 9.x just install over 8 and/or overwrite it or delete it?

I also have Adobe Reader 7.x on my desktop PC with XP3 Media Center Edition SP3, and it really needs updating, as it's not playing nicely with my browsers anymore. I guess same question: Do I have to uninstall 7 before installing 9? I've asked at the Adobe support forums a few days ago, and no answers.

Thanks!

P.S. One of the vendors e-mailed me the pdf file of a book I bought, and it's hiccuping on the reader, but not freezing it entirely. I could also download it from my e-mail server via a different browser. FF does an AV scan, and maybe that's causing a problem. Just another shot in the dark/ruling stuff out.

I'm having a bit of an issue with purchased pdf files on my sony e-reader, so I thought one thing I might try is updating my Adobe Reader software. I'm currently using 8.2.6 on a Windows XPSP3 system. I don't want to install Adobe Reader X right now because I'm reading that people are having some serious issues with it. I would like to go to a version 9.x. (I already have Adobe's link to older versions of Adobe Reader).

Just one question: Do I have to uninstall 8.x before I install 9.x, or will 9.x just install over 8 and/or overwrite it or delete it?

I also have Adobe Reader 7.x on my desktop PC with XP3 Media Center Edition SP3, and it really needs updating, as it's not playing nicely with my browsers anymore. I guess same question: Do I have to uninstall 7 before installing 9? I've asked at the Adobe support forums a few days ago, and no answers.

Thanks!

Times 2 on your post ......

I always uninstall them first, but I don't know if you need to.

I have not had any issues with Adobe Reader X, at least not yet, and actually this is the first of problems that I have heard.

Thanks, Mountaintree and Buttons.

Buttons, how do you upgrade? When I have versions 7 and 8 check for updates, they don't go to higher versions, just updates of the same versions, if available. Actually, I think 7 has not had updates for a long time.

When I opened a pdf on my laptop yesterday (the one with 8.x), I got a popup asking if I wanted version X. I clicked on it, and it opened IE to a page where I could download version X. I closed the browser window because I didn't have time to deal with it at the moment. I haven't had the offer come up again.

In order to upgrade Adobe Reader all you have to do is go to the Adobe website and find the version of the program you want then download and install. Searching for updates will just search for current fixes to the version that you already have.

I currently use Adobe Reader X and I have not had any problems at all. I also install it on the computers of my customers and I have not heard of any issues.

Well, after Adobe Reader 7 once again crashed my Firefox browser, I figured enough is enough. I uninstalled it and installed 10.1 on the desktop computer. Very nice, I like it. It's a lot faster, too. 7 always sort of hiccuped whenever it was used with a browser.

The issues I read of (on an Adobe Reader support forum) had to do with all the icons on someone's computer being taken over by Adobe with version 10. Didn't happen here, it all looks good. :) I'll deal with the laptop later.

I see version 10 is also sandboxed, so it can't be used to install malware on one's computer.

To everyone who replied, thanks for your feedback. :)

Guest name cool

Adobe Reader (!)'(" is not recommended ")

Adobe Reader is the first cause of injury in the regulations and this is always a brings hacker to these operating systems that used the free Adobe Reader.

someone I know has been hacked from Microsoft Office application!

Anyway, I do not use this software :P (I'll stay away from this software) :D perhaps I will remove the Adobe Flash Player.! :lol:

It is advisable to upgrade to the latest version! This upgrade will be more safe 'but is still an ongoing threat, which is an easy target for hacker

When I had Windows, I used Foxit Reader. Much lighter than Adobe Reader, with the same functionality. At least that's how it was back then.

I've beeen using visagesoft pdf reader for about a year, and it does the job. if you need a backup pdf reader.

Free PDF Reader - Version 4.0.210

eXPert PDF Reader is a free pdf viewer software that lets you view and print pdf documents on windows operating systems.

eXPert PDF reader will also allow modification of existing documents. You may modify document outlines, insert rubber stamps and modify any annotation that has been created from eXPert PDF or any other pdf creation software.

visagesoft