Database not supported

I need help to get my malwarebytes program functioning again. The problem is that an error comes up that says,"The current database is not supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-malware. Please download the latest version of the program." This has been happening now for over a week and it will not run because of this error. What I have tried is I uninstalled Malwarebytes through the control panel, ran mbam-clean.exe, to get rid of any remnants of malwarebytes on my computer, rebooted the computer. I then tried downloading the latest version of the program from filehippo.com or download.com. As soon as I begin the program the same error message comes up again. The error message is."The current database is not supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-malware. Please download the latest version of the program." Now what do I do?

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Please do the following:

• After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Hello Terry,

What is your Internet Connection?

Also, please run through Firefox's instructions once again, but this time when you get to MBAM being installed please choose to not get the latest DB (you will soon after though)

During installation: post-60618-0-12540700-1303330219.png

After Clicking MBAM.exe: post-60618-0-40922800-1303330222.png

Please let me know if MBAM.exe still throws the error for you.

Thank you very much!

Hello Terry,

What is your Internet Connection?

Also, please run through Firefox's instructions once again, but this time when you get to MBAM being installed please choose to not get the latest DB (you will soon after though)

During installation: post-60618-0-12540700-1303330219.png

After Clicking MBAM.exe: post-60618-0-40922800-1303330222.png

Please let me know if MBAM.exe still throws the error for you.

Thank you very much!

Hello Terry,

What is your Internet connection? Are you able to manually update your rules.ref and MBAM still load?

HERE is a link to download the rules.ref (it is more current than the rules with the installer). You will need to move the rules.ref into the folder:

• In Windows 7/Vista:
    • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

In Windows XP:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please be sure when doing this, to move (store in another folder on desktop) the working rules.ref before adding another one (that way you can move the working back if any problems arise).

Thank you very much!

Hello Terry,

What is your Internet connection? Are you able to manually update your rules.ref and MBAM still load?

HERE is a link to download the rules.ref (it is more current than the rules with the installer). You will need to move the rules.ref into the folder:

• In Windows 7/Vista:

In Windows XP:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please be sure when doing this, to move (store in another folder on desktop) the working rules.ref before adding another one (that way you can move the working back if any problems arise).

Thank you very much!

I'm having the same problems, and I get to this last step, and the link is an executable, mbam-rules.exe, that says it is going to install the latest version of the whole program, it is not a 'rules.ref' file, and there is no rules.ref inside, at lease by that name. I have 6 PCs, am I to have to do this on all of them, and are you going to fix this awful bug in your updating?

Hello Terry,

• In Windows 7/Vista:

In Windows XP:

Thank you very much!

Follow up, it seems that executable does indeed install a rules.ref in the indicated directory, I don't know what else it may have done, but when I started the program, I get the exact same message I have been getting, see attachment. our program is a valuable to to the whole community, but this is not acceptable. I can say that I have had more trouble with this update than with any malware ever!

Hello Terry,

• In Windows 7/Vista:

In Windows XP:

Thank you very much!

post-50462-0-15677500-1303627999.png

I am not pc savy by all means, but when I was trying to run the program, I of course wanted to do an update first. It gave me the same error that Terry received. I didnt know what to do at first, so I uninstalled the program and downloaded it again with the same results. After reading the Mainard's posting, I unchecked the update box and I am able to do the scan now. My question is when will I be able to update the software and why is it giving us this problem?

Hello mechtheist,

As a general rule of thumb, please create a new topic concerning your issue as all cases can be handled differently. Also, if you have tried items from another topic please reference them within your own topic post.

As for your specific case. Please do the following:

Ensure that you un-check the item marked: 'Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' after installing MBAM.

post-60618-0-96556500-1303749484.png

Then click no to check for updates.

post-60618-0-92008800-1303749489.png

6 PC's? Is this a business configuration you are using? Also, what is your Internet connection for these PC's?

Please let me know if MBAM does install and run correctly and the steps you did if there is an issue with the above instructions.

Thank you very much!

I am not pc savy by all means, but when I was trying to run the program, I of course wanted to do an update first. It gave me the same error that Terry received. I didnt know what to do at first, so I uninstalled the program and downloaded it again with the same results. After reading the Mainard's posting, I unchecked the update box and I am able to do the scan now. My question is when will I be able to update the software and why is it giving us this problem?

Hello lilady,

Please try to update MBAM at your earliest convenience by clicking on the update tab and updating MBAM's database. Also as a rule of thumb please create a new topic as your issues may be different as each system is set up differently from another. (If an issue occurs please create a new topic and describe the steps you took and what issue you are experiencing).

Also, in your new topic referencing what you have tried by adding a link would be greatly helpful with the helper whom is assisting you.

Thank you very much!

Hello mechtheist,

As a general rule of thumb, please create a new topic concerning your issue as all cases can be handled differently. Also, if you have tried items from another topic please reference them within your own topic post.

As for your specific case. Please do the following:

Ensure that you un-check the item marked: 'Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' after installing MBAM.

post-60618-0-96556500-1303749484.png

Then click no to check for updates.

post-60618-0-92008800-1303749489.png

6 PC's? Is this a business configuration you are using? Also, what is your Internet connection for these PC's?

Please let me know if MBAM does install and run correctly and the steps you did if there is an issue with the above instructions.

Thank you very much!

Thank you for the reply. I did not start a new topic as I was having the same issues as this thread. I also meant to make it plain [see where I said "I get to the step..."] that I followed through with these instructions, and about 10 variations of them, and I still end up with the same thing, whenever it tries to update, it fails with the message in the attachment I provided earlier. I use system 7_64, have a cable-modem-router internet hookup, and I am a geek, not a business man. I purchased a license a while back, but I quit using it as I was having real-time interference problems, and that is the only thing I bought the lic for.. I prefer to scan periodically, but unfortunately, I can't be bothered to go through this much hassle to update.

So, I tried to update normally, I uninstalled and re-installed and tried to update, I cleaned with your cleaner, and re-installed and tried to update, I cleaned, reinstalled, and ran your executable that I suppose only adds the rules.ref to the appdata folder even though it says it will install the whole program--it didn't take long enough to do that, none of these measures worked, on 2 different systems. That's about as far as my meager supply of patience will allow me to do.

Hello mechtheist,

Could you please attach your current rules.ref file in your next reply?

Please try to connect directly into your Modem then attempt to update MBAM. Then let me know if you are then able to update MBAM.

Thank you very much, your patience is appreciated!

Hello mechtheist,

Could you please attach your current rules.ref file in your next reply?

Please try to connect directly into your Modem then attempt to update MBAM. Then let me know if you are then able to update MBAM.

Thank you very much, your patience is appreciated!

I'm sorry I don't know what 'connect directly into your modem' means??? I have a device from my cable company that acts as a router and cable modem, a Ubee DDW3611, it s called a 'DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway'. The laptop is connected wired, so how is it you want me to connect to the modem?

I just now updated and ran with no problem on my two desktops, I tried to run it again on this laptop and it realized the database was a few days old, went and updated the database, but then failed again with the previous message. The current file is attached, I had to zip it, your site said I wasn't allowed to upload that kind of file otherwise. I probably could have just changed the extension to txt or something, anyway, I ultra-zipped and it made no difference in file size, you guys must compress the hell out of it, or it's just random data :)

Thanks for your time.

<h1 class="no-bullet"></h1>

rules.ref.zip

Hello mechtheist,

The rules.ref file you uploaded has no error. Is the file you attached from the computer that is experiencing the issue?

I need to test the file that is experiencing the issue.

Thank you very much!

Hello mechtheist,

The rules.ref file you uploaded has no error. Is the file you attached from the computer that is experiencing the issue?

I need to test the file that is experiencing the issue.

Thank you very much!

Hello Mainard, sorry this took so long, I had to leave town. Yes, that .ref is from the PC that can't update. What has been the source of the glitches for the others that had this problem? That info might help me figure out how that aplies to me and what makes my situation different?

Hello Mactheist,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you very much!

Hello Mactheist,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you very much!

Thanks again, here are the files, I've been in and out of town without time to work on this, sorry it's taking so long]

OTL.Txt

Extras.Txt

Hello mechtheist,

• Please download the attached zipped file.
  • Unzip the folder.
  • Delete your old rules.ref file.
  • Move the new rules.ref into the location where your old rules.ref was located.

Please then run mbam.exe if the same error occurs please let me know.

Thank you very much!

rules.zip

• Root Admin

Please try one of the following if you're having this issue.

STEP 01

Please do the following, choosing the instructions appropriate to the version of Windows that you're using:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

If that does not resolve the issue then please try STEP 2. If neither help then please start your own new topic and someone will assist you further.

STEP 02

Please do the following: