Thinking about buying Malwaybytes

Today my wife got stuck with some malware. We do not currently malwarebytes--I found you after the fact. Anyway, I was able to figure out what was going on and was able to fix it myself (it was the Windows Scan/Disk Defrag/Memory Scan/System Diagnostic scamware). So, I was wondering if the real-time protection offered by the full version of malwarebytes would have prevented her from getting this in the first place had she installed it. How does it help prevent these problems? What would happen if she went to a site that was trying to install this? What is the user presented with? She is actually pretty smart about these types of scams. We've talked about them before, and I have showed her what they look like when they are trying to install themselves. She said she recognized it right away and pressed "No", but it seems to have still installed. So, how does malwarebytes protect someone from things like this?

Also, she does have Symantec endpoint protection which I don't think does much for protecting against malware. How well does malwarebytes play with other virus scanners?

Thanks in advance.

Skip

Hello and :welcome:

Your Symantec endpoint protection along with Malwarebytes PRO working hand in hand would more than likely have stopped this infection even before it got to the computer using the Web Blocker Technology.

If she happens to visit a site that has been know to spread malware, the Malwarebytes Icon in the system try would notify her that the web page was blocked. Malware changes all the time and morphs into other infections, and the folks at Malwarebytes are fighting this malware around the clock and have updates anywhere from 4 to 6 times a day, sometimes more depending on the day and how many infections the find.

I recommend having the PRO version....

Symantec Endpoint works great together with Malwarebytes, I use both of these with no issues. I like to enter exceptions for Malwarebytes into the Endpoint (just for good measures). If you decide to get the pro version I can show you where to enter your exceptions....

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

To enter exceptions in Symantec Endpoint Protection do this:

• * Right Click on your Symantec Endpoint Protection in the system trey
    * Click on Open Symantec Endpoint Protection
    * In the Status Window Click on Options in the section Antivirus and Antispyware Protection.
    * Click on Change Settings
    * Click on File System Auto-Protect Tab
    * Click on Centralized Exceptions Button
    * Click on Add....
    * Click on Security Risk Exception
    * Click on File and browse to the location where the files are located (as listed above)
    * Repeat steps 7-9 until you have added all the files to the exceptions
    * Click Close when done adding exceptions
    * Click OK
    * Exit Symantec Endpoint Protection.

I don't know what I was thinking... I should have bought both mine and my wife's today. I see there is a volume discount for even two licenses.

I do understand that malwarebytes is not antivirus software, and I do have antivirus software running on all of my computers (except the linux box).

I do understand that malwarebytes is not antivirus software, and I do have antivirus software running on all of my computers (except the linux box).

Perhaps you should seriously consider running ClamAV on your Linux system...