Looking for a good computer, suggestions please.

Conor55

yeah ... customize one through dell (etc) and be prepared to hand over yer wallet . :)

you can buy a decent laptop and add ram and a decent video card (if the laptop has a slot for one) .

many machines come with W7/64 as the default OS . one thing you do not want is a vista(less) machine , these are still available at "attractive" prices .

i like the idea of a "bigger" laptop ... more room to put stuff in = cooler running .

post some links to a few candidates and we can sift through them .

Whatever you consider stay away from Dell's Alienware 51! If you do shop for one then buy a used one as you will be able to find barely used ones for half price. My experience is Dell support cannot fix the problems with internet connectivity issues. They will run you through an expensive and time consuming gauntlet (ISP, virus software, operating system issues) and inform you you only had 21 days to return it. Sorry.

• Root Admin

Unfortunately PRICE is the most important item. How much computing power you get does depend on how much you can spend.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=4935

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

good point AS . price is usually the first or prime consideration . having champagne tastes and a beer budget does not work .

a target amount or budget is a good place to start ... from there one tracks/drills down to get the most bang for the buck .

when building machines i always ask ; "how much do you have budgeted for this ?" .

the next question is ; "what do you (want) to do with the machine ?" .

and then i throw in a fudge factor for overhead (especially when it comes to running decent AV protection) .

one of the hardest parts is telling someone that they "can't get to there from here" .

at that point i suggest that they save up some more money and then have another go at it .