MBAM Service Terminated Unexpectedly

Hi guys,

Today upon rebooting my pc, I got a message that the MBAM Service terminated unexpectedly. Upon trying to launch MBAM, I get a message that the "Current database is not supported by this version of MBAM. Please download the latest version of the program."

But I had already the latest version 1.50.1.3, and it was working fine until a few hours ago.

I'm on Win 7x64.

I would really appreciate anyone's help with this issue.

Thanks a lot in advance.

TrDo

Hello, a clean install of Malwarebytes should fix your issue....

Please do the following:

(Perform a clean/fresh install of Malwarebytes)

NOTE: These steps need to be performed on your computer while logged in as an Administrator.....

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's HERE or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Hi Firefox,

Thanks for your reply.

Re-install is one issue. What happened suddenly and MBAM stopped working is another. All was fine and well until a few hours ago. I didn't install any new software or hardware on my pc.

How come this issue arose suddenly? Why would I have to re-install MBAM that was working fine after the latest version update (months ago).

In my opinion re-install is not the solution. If every time we get into trouble with MBAM we re-install, then this is bad business for everyone.

Any other suggestions? Like why the databases got corrupt and how should I fix just that?

I would appreciate your views please.

Thanks a million mate.

TrDo.

Let me start by saying that I am not an the staff for Malwarebytes nor am I employed by them. I am just a member here that volunteers some of my time trying to help others....

As everyone's computer and Internet access is different, and we have no control as to why data on your computer may have gotten corrupted (probably only the database file). It could be a hiccup on your Internet connection that corrupted the database file during the update download, a sudden power surge, bumping your computer while a file is being written to hard disk, there are way too many factors.

By no means am I saying that your computer is damaged or needs repair, I am just saying that this occurred most likely because the database file got corrupted during the update. Yes you could have just deleted the rules.ref file and then launched malwarebytes, that may have fixed it as well. At the moment those are the instructions I had handy. I also have instructions for deleting the rules file if you like.

Did the reinstall fix your issue?

Thanks Firefox.

I haven't performed the re-install. I was rather waiting for a different approach to solve the specific issue.

I do appreciate your time and efforts.

I'm sure this event was cataloged to the Event Log of MBAM. Should I try to upload a copy for a quick view?

Thanks a million.

TrDo

Hey guys,

Any news on this one? I'm still running my pc without MBAM, since yesterday!

These guys here have the same isuue as me. So, I'm sure that the re-install won't resolve the problem. This is something to do with the database.

This is the Event Log of the problem:

13:47:14 User ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007

15:27:31 User ERROR uncompress failed with error code 0

15:27:31 User MESSAGE Protection stopped

15:36:49 User ERROR uncompress failed with error code 0

15:36:50 User MESSAGE Protection stopped

16:02:37 User ERROR uncompress failed with error code 0

16:02:38 User MESSAGE Protection stopped

When I pointed out this problem yesterday I was the only one, but now I see that this problem multiplies.

Please try to help.

Thanks in advance.

TrDo.

Hi TrDo, good to see you :)

Please do the following, it should resolve the issue (no need to reinstall):

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Please let me know if the issue is now resolved or not.

The most likely cause was a hiccup somewhere in the update process where the database file became corrupt.

Hi X, good to see you too mate :blink:

I followed your instructions, and I'm good as new. Updated the database, enabled protection and run a quick scan. All fine and well.

Thanks very much mate. I was left a couple of days without the MBAM and I had the feeling that I wasn't wearing my pants.

All the best mate,

TrDo.

You're welcome. I'm guessing the database file (rules.ref) got corrupted somehow. Whenever that happens, the easiest solutions is to delete the file then update MBAM. Usually it will correct the problem, however, we are also currently tracking some instances of this particular error that are not resolved so easily, something we've yet to be able to replicate in-house.

exile360 will this fix work for Windows XP also? I had the same problem but I reinstalled MBAM and that fixed the problem. Would like to use the fix if this happens in the future.

Suggestion: Merge this thread with this http://forums.malwar...showtopic=75131

since both threads deal with the same problem.

Hi Popeye :)

The instructions for XP are a bit different, but it should work as well:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Hi X, good to see you too mate :)

I followed your instructions, and I'm good as new. Updated the database, enabled protection and run a quick scan. All fine and well.

Thanks very much mate. I was left a couple of days without the MBAM and I had the feeling that I wasn't wearing my pants.

All the best mate,

TrDo.

Wish I could say the same! I'm using v.1.50.1.1100 MBam for On Demand Scans on my XP SP3 Laptop

This suddenly happened 5 days ago and I still can not use MBam. I've done the 'CleanInstall after using mbam_Clean. (3-4 times) Didn't change anything.

Tried simply deleting "ref.Rules". (3 times) That hasn't helped.

So far I still get "the database isn't support" message everytime I try to use Mbam. Yet all is fine with my second computer XPSP3 Desktop.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

@Wilpower: Please create your own topic as the cause of your issue is clearly different from the others experiencing this issue since the usual fixes did not resolve it.

I have notified one of the Quality Assurance techs of your issue as he is currently investigating cases like yours where the usual fixes do not resolve the problem. He will work with you directly to attempt to find the cause and hopefully get the issue resolved.