A RAM Inquiry

Bobc11

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-KT292UT-1GB-800MHZ-...=item1c18e91ace

My laptop requires a 400-533mhz ram, ddr2 pc-4200 and i heard that you ram runs at the speed of your slowest stick.

Would this work? I need a 1gb stick for my gateway m460e/m460(major)- which is what the always call it. Will this stick work? Or will it blow up the computer?

I thought RAM was backward speed compatable 2 speeds. I think I read that on a google search.

My computer uses ddr2 PC3200, and the Crucial site said I could use THEIR PC 6400 or PC5300 OR PC4200 (I have used both PC4200-5300 and they work fine). Just make sure the number of pins is the same as DDR and DDR2 have different nr of pins and cannot interchange.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that will work, as 800Mhz RAM (PC 6400) isn't reverse compatible with speeds as low as 533Mhz (PC 4200). The only ones that would would be as fast as 667Mhz (PC 5300).

So I must purchase at the max Pc 5300?

I looked it up on Crucial's website and the only option they show is PC-5300 (667MHz). Generally they will show the fastest speeds available for your system, so I'm sticking to my original hypothesis, especially after learning that your system uses the Intel 915GM chipset, which is pretty old so it's unlikely its memory controller supports speeds as high as PC-6400.

While some RAM may be backwards compatible to those speeds, considering how cheap actual PC-5300 is anyway, to me, it wouldn't be worth wasting the money on faster RAM that's going to be clocked down to a slower speed anyway.

By the way, to get full 667 speed, you'd need to replace your existing RAM with a faster chip as well, otherwise they will both clock at 533MHz.

yep ... exile360 is correct ; PC5300

your laptop has two ram slots and supports (addresses) a maximum of 2 gigs .

and the stuff is cheap enough so going with a full boat is cost effective .

here are some 2X1 gig kits :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600006176%20600000441%20600000397&IsNodeId=1&name=2GB%20%282%20x%201GB%29

I looked it up on Crucial's website and the only option they show is PC-5300 (667MHz). Generally they will show the fastest speeds available for your system, so I'm sticking to my original hypothesis, especially after learning that your system uses the Intel 915GM chipset, which is pretty old so it's unlikely its memory controller supports speeds as high as PC-6400.

While some RAM may be backwards compatible to those speeds, considering how cheap actual PC-5300 is anyway, to me, it wouldn't be worth wasting the money on faster RAM that's going to be clocked down to a slower speed anyway.

By the way, to get full 667 speed, you'd need to replace your existing RAM with a faster chip as well, otherwise they will both clock at 533MHz.

The current stick is 400mhz. It says it cant go higher that 533 or lower than 400. Does that help?

Here is a cool site where you can enter your computer information and it will tell you exactly how much RAM you can put in your computer and what type to buy, it will also give you links of where you can buy it. The site is FOR PNY MEMORY

Thanks! I will defantly look into this! :)

I would prefer to buy off ebay, mainly because money is tight.

yep , i can appreciate money being tight .

nothing wrong with ebay ... as long as it is a reputable dealer/seller and the merchandise is of known quality .

it is false economy to buy price alone .

post a link or two to the product(s) you select and we can scope them out a little .

i had a friend that bought some ram "for a smokin' price" ...

after installing it , his comp was erroring all over the place and eventually corrupted his OS .

long story short ... it took 4 hours to re-install his system and programs after pulling the vital stuff off of the drive with my comp .

he then had to jump through hoops to get a refund from the seller of the ram and pay the cost of shipping it back .

"caveat emptor"