No context menu showing

Well, i have installed MBAM but i dont seem to have the right click context menu. I cleaned up with AppRemover, MBAM-CLEAN and then searched manually for leftovers - nothing! Installed again 1.51 with English language, and again - nothing. Preregistered the DLLs - nothing! I'm a bit shocked.

Any help appreciated.

Hi, kexul, and welcome:

See here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=70960

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=69078

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=69560

If that doesn't work, please post back with a bit more info about your system (OS and Service Pack, AV and firewall, etc).

Also, please be sure MBAM has the necessary permissions and exclusions in both your AV and firewall -- detailed instructions are in the FAQ pinned at the top of the forum.

Thanks!

daledoc1

Sorry, but i have already done that 2 or 3 times.. my Windows is XP SP2 and my running AV is ESET NOD32 with exclusions about MBAM. Firewall is WF with Exceptions(e.g the Exceptions are enabled).

MBAM is really good product, but i need the right click context option as it is a bit important for me.

Please do the following:

Do this while your ESET NOD32 is disabled.

(Perform a clean/fresh install of Malwarebytes)

NOTE: These steps need to be performed on your computer while logged in as an Administrator.....

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's HERE or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

By the way,

It would be a good idea to update to SP3 as support (including new security updates) ends July 13, 2010 for SP 2:

As Disscussed HERE

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank You :blink:

Hi, kexul:

Firefox pretty much covered it (while I was gone to work), so, thanks!

If the fixes suggested in the other threads (including a clean reinstall of MBAM with ESET NOD32 temporarily disabled) aren't working, then it may well be a subtle corruption in your OS.

As Firefox pointed out, SP2 will be "EOL" (end of life) soon -- that means MS will no longer support it. This is a stability and security concern for your system.

So, updating to SP3 will serve several uses: 1) provide you with continued support from MS in terms of stability and security patches, and 2) may resolve whatever issue you are having with the right-click context menu.

Firefox gave you the link about this in his post.

Also, just as a tip, it is generally advisable that one temporarily uninstall one's AV suite (in your case ESET NOD32), then install SP3 and any other important and recommended updates, and then reinstall your AV (and MBAM).

This is standard procedure for all major AVs.

In addition to uninstalling from the Windows Control Panel first, it is generally best to run the vendor's removal tool, as well, after the control panel uninstall, and prior to reinstalling the AV.

The link for the ESET NOD32 removal tool & instructions is here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

This may seem like a lot of work -- and it is, for us home users -- but following proper procedures ultimately saves time and aggravation by averting other issues.

I know you must be really exhausted and frustrated by all this -- computer issues take on a life of their own and can suck your energy right out.

Sometimes it helps to just take a break for a day or so and come back to it.

HTH,

daledoc1

Sorry but i really dont think I should do these exhausting steps for just one, just one software. As I am pretty happy even with SP2 and i need my computer, i dont think i should take such risks for just one.. software. As your product is totally free I dont think i have some rights to blame you, but that was pain in the ***, and im very dissapointed. At least, dont say your program is compatible with older versions of XP - thats untrue.

Never mind... lets go to the another question, and sorry if I have insulted someone with the writed up

What about your research center? As you wrote

you should check whether the file is detected by MBAM

How i would check without this context menu option. I appreciate any ideas, and sorry for the bad English - I dont have much time to check what Im wroting

Hello, kexul:

I sincerely apologize if the free advice offered in good faith by other users such as Firefox and myself doesn't meet your needs.

(By the way, this is a user forum and most of us are not affiliated with MBAM, so it's not "our" software -- we are just volunteering to help other users.)

I am really sorry as well that you are still having problems.

If you are using MBAM PRO, you may also wish to contact support at support@malwarebytes.org and start a ticket, or consider other options, as listed here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/contact.php

Perhaps one of the kind and expert folks from MBAM will join this thread and provide you with additional assistance.

Until then, good luck, & I hope you get MBAM & your computer working properly.

Best regards,

daledoc1

Sorry if you understand my words, but I dont want to insult anyone - I havent payed for your product, and in fact I dont deserve any support - so, its really your choice whether you would like to help me or not. I receive great support from ESET and I dont have any issues nor smthing. My idea was, if I want to use your research center(e.g send you samples) how I would "check if the file is detected" as the program did not provide me such option? That is pretty bad thing, and I'm really dissapointed. In fact, i expected much more as I was advised 2 years to install this product. I dont know what you mean with this "standart troubleshouting", but in fact the wroten by @Firefox(high respect!) did not help me. So what you mean with this troubleshouting.... 3 times clean install 3 times fail.. Sorry but pretty much nerves for just one software, which i have even planned to purchase. I dont know the reason about this, and in fact, I am pretty much exhausted from these "Mbam clean installations", which dont change anything. Still, if you want to help and provide some assistance - any help and ideas are welcomed.

Ofcourse, I know your help is free, but i am a bit affected - I expected something working without any troubles(if there are something like that in this world)

Feel free to publish any ideas.... and sorry if you understand me wrong.

Nice avatar by the way!

Best Regards,

Siad, Bulgaria.

Possibily you could try this little prog from NirSoft: ShellExView and see if MBAM is listed there at all.

ShellExView utility displays the details of shell extensions (DLLs) installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable and enable each shell extension.

Gerard

post-1477-1296470506_thumb.png

Note: Only attempt this if you are running an English installation of Windows XP as this tool has NOT been tested on Windows Vista or Windows 7 or on non-English installations of Windows:

Reset Default Permissions:

• Please download ResetDefaultPerms by AdvancedSetup from here and save it to your desktop
  • Close any open programs and save anything you were working on
  • Double click on restoredefaultperms.exe to run it
  • Once it completes it will restart your computer

Once that's done, open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab and UNCHECK the box next to Create right click context menu. and then check the box again and close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Now, right click on a file and see if the context menu entry shows up now or not.

Please let me know how it goes.

Hello again :)

Please do the following:

Create a Batch File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%" reg query "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "InstallPath">>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    if not exist "%programfiles(x86)%" reg query "HKLM\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "InstallPath">>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKCR\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    "%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file ContextCheck.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

InstallPath REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value

Strange, as this is exactly the location where MBAM is installed.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to read the FAQ for additional precautions and instructions on proper use.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Create a Reg File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}]
    @="MBAMShlExt Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbamext.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\ProgID]
    @="MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\TypeLib]
    @="{AFF1A83B-6C83-4342-8E68-1648DE06CB65}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\VersionIndependentProgID]
    @="MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt]
    @="{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt]
    @="{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}"

Press Enter twice on your keyboard to insert 2 blank lines at the bottom of the text file

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix.reg (the .reg extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it and click Yes and OK when prompted.
  • Restart your computer and see if the context menu entries are now there for you.
  • If it still isn't working, then create and run the tool from this post and post the contents of the new log.

Excellent, I'm glad it worked. Those are all of the registry entries that should be present when the context menu entry is installed. I used the InstallPath value to determine the correct path to the dll for the reg fix because if I didn't point it to the exact location of the file, it wouldn't work.

I'm fairly certain there's still some issue with your system that has been preventing the context menu dll from registering normally so the underlying problem has not been corrected, but at least you have your context menu scan now :wacko:.

To troubleshoot the other issue I would recommend creating a new topic here describing what the problem you were having here was, with a link back to this topic so that the individual assisting you can use the posts in this topic as a reference.

If you don't have any other issues right now you might not want to go through diagnosing/fixing the issue with not being able to register the dll normally, but if other future issues pop up with other programs because they can't register dll's and context menu handlers, you might consider creating a topic there to get help with it.

Either way, thanks for posting and thanks for your patience with us in troubleshooting this issue and getting the context menu entries working as they should :blink:.

That would be a good place to start then for sure as you're most likely correct, it's probably damaged. I'm not too familiar with SQL and troubleshooting it myself, so I'd recommend creating a new thread in the forum I mentioned above. If you can (and know how), reinstalling SQL may help by uninstalling/reinstalling it then checking for Windows Updates and installing any available patches for it.