CCleaner is not perfect.

Guest name cool

Guest name cool

Since 'a short time beginning use CCleaner, but I'm having issues with him, when I do the manual clean-up will be slow when cleaning up the Temporary Internet Files, etc.' 'It takes minutes to clean up. :blink:

Also could not clean up the Start Menu, leaving behind traces even passwords leave without cleaning. :blink:

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Guest name cool
By default the start menu is not cleaned.

Wording of the question.

Why can not clean up Start menu, and some of the tracks? :blink:

Hope this helps

CCleaner Documentation

* Caution: It is not recommended that you use the Registry feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs. In Vista and Windows 7 this issue has been fixed as far I know

Guest name cool
Probably didn't set it. Second box from the last under System.:huh:

I see it before, but what are the recommended settings to clean everything?

A question for you: What does it mean to you CCleaner.? :blink::blink:

I personally have had nothing but good use of CCleaner. I generally use the Gutmann 35-pass method, which of course takes longer than a single-pass, less-intricate one.

And does anyone know how long CCleaner has supported 64-bit? I just noticed not too long ago that it's a 64-bit application. Has it been for some time, or just a recent update? Either way it's great news, I just wondered.

A handy little program for use with all 4 Piriform products is the CC AutoUpdater .. written by Jelle Vergeer

post-35425-1294415955_thumb.gif

You can set it to check for UPDATES at StartUp or on a schedule.. You'll always have the latest versions of your Piriform products.

The home page is in Dutch *BUT* in upper, left corner of this link, http://www.jesconsultancy.nl/CCAuto-updater-nl.html , click on the BRITISH flag for ENGLISH.. The downloaded program can be set to English; beware and unclick the Yahoo Toolbar in the installer..

~Shy

And does anyone know how long CCleaner has supported 64-bit? I just noticed not too long ago that it's a 64-bit application. Has it been for some time, or just a recent update? Either way it's great news, I just wondered.

When version 3.0 was released, October 28, 2010,

Changes include:

* A new 64-bit native EXE designed specifically for 64-bit systems.

~Shy

ShyWriter, another program of interest to you (and others) is FileHippo.com's Update Checker. It is similar to the one you posted as it scans for updates for software installed on your system, that is hosted on FileHippo's website. It supports the 4 Piriform programs, as well as lots of others from different vendors. A useful little tool (and a good website, too), although my avast! anti-virus flagged it as malware; a false positive and nothing more in reality.

The feature I like the most is if there is a more recent version available for download, it provides a link to the installer itself, and not just the general download page. Really handy in my opinion.

Guest name cool

Everyone talks about how to pass 35.

But 'What does it mean that thing? and how to do it?

open ccleaner ...

go to : options -> settings

you will find "secure deletions" ... set this for "secure file deletion"

open the drop down menu and set it for "simple overwrite (one pass)"

select the appropriate drives you want cleaned .

check "wipe MTF free space" .

overwriting means that those areas that are marked for cleaning have the data in those areas "scribbled over the top of" ...

sort of like the same thing that you would do with a piece of paper and a pencil .

Guest name cool
open ccleaner ...

go to : options -> settings

you will find "secure deletions" ... set this for "secure file deletion"

open the drop down menu and set it for "simple overwrite (one pass)"

select the appropriate drives you want cleaned .

check "wipe MTF free space" .

overwriting means that those areas that are marked for cleaning have the data in those areas "scribbled over the top of" ...

sort of like the same thing that you would do with a piece of paper and a pencil .

Followed what you said to me, was check the box, but the first step completed. The second step of cleaning is very slow

"slow" ... it all depends on what your comp has "under the hood" and how much stuff is running in the background ...

and how much junk has to be wiped out .

overwriting/wiping the MTF does take some time ...

again , it all depends on how much and how fast the drive is and how much "free time" and resources are available to be used for the task .

Guest name cool

CWB, :blink: What is your suggestion to me? Can I do closes the Internet Explorer browser? and then come back to you .. :blink:

personally speaking ...

i shut down all open programs (except for CC naturally) .

i turn off all unneeded programs/services running in the background (this is the way my comp is set up normally) .

i do have avg running normally .

do you mean that you are trying to run internet exploder (or another browser) while using ccleaner ?

I think that the Gutmann 35-pass method is overkill and only needed if you want to get rid of the hard drive.

I agree with CWB to shut down all open programs especially the browser.

I usually only use CCleaner before I shut down the system.

Guest name cool

Internet Explorer was running, when used CCleaner. :D

Do I have to shut down Internet Explorer every time when I use CCleaner. ? :D

• Root Admin

Yes, all programs should be shutdown for it to work it's best. It can remove a lot with the programs open but not recommended if you're trying to clean up their keys etc.

As for the Gutmann 35-pass method - that is OLD information that is no longer valid for modern hard drives.

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

I close all but my security software (and sometimes my IM client) when I run CCleaner, and typically only run it prior to shutdown.

I also use the Gutmann 35 passes.

@Ron

So the Gutmann pass in CCleaner doesn't really do anything, then?