MBAM + SAS

I have MSE for real time protection and MBAM as back-up. I am considering including SAS also. Would there be any conflict ?

Hello detsi:

Your multiposted was properly answered in the SAS forum.

If permitted, I would add is that MBAM is not a backup to MSE, but an essentially equal and integral part of a layered protection arsenal and one would hope you are running the full MBAM PRO version.

HTH

Hello detsi:

Your multiposted was properly answered in the SAS forum.

If permitted, I would add is that MBAM is not a backup to MSE, but an essentially equal and integral part of a layered protection arsenal and one would hope you are running the full MBAM PRO version.

HTH

Thanks for your reply. No harm in double checking, is there? :) I am running the free version of MBAM. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply. No harm in double checking, is there? :) I am running the free version of MBAM. Your comments would be appreciated.

Hello detsi:

Unless you have vastly under reported all of your computer security, in the minds of many your system is seriously under protected.

A significant first step in correcting this deficiency is to subscribe to the PRO version of MBAM and permit all its features.

As the next step, I would respectfully suggest you immerse yourself in a thorough course of computer security self study.

Hello detsi:

Unless you have vastly under reported all of your computer security, in the minds of many your system is seriously under protected.

A significant first step in correcting this deficiency is to subscribe to the PRO version of MBAM and permit all its features.

As the next step, I would respectfully suggest you immerse yourself in a thorough course of computer security self study.

I have MSE, MBAM (free) SpywareBlaster and Windows firewall. I am not very PC savvy but I am open to suggestion.

• Root Admin

Please run the following scanner and post back the logs so we can see what you do have on the system.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Please run the following scanner and post back the logs so we can see what you do have on the system.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Thanks. Please see log as requested.

DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFSx86

Run by tedisted at 14:42:45.56 on 31/12/2010

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18999 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22

Microsoft

I have MSE for real time protection and MBAM as back-up. I am considering including SAS also. Would there be any conflict ?

alot of people (including myself) run mbam + sas together. i have the pro versions of both running with mse with no conflict. i also saw your post at sas and think it is smart to ask at both forums. you're on the right track :)

Thanks for your reply 1PW, but, as I have explained, I am of limited PC knowledge and I am at a loss as to how to respond, practically, to your advice.

Hello detsi:

At your earliest convenience, you may wish to mitigate the critical security risks your versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader and Oracle Java are presenting to your system.

HTH

Maybe something constructive with regards to my enclosed log would be more helpful to me.

Thanks for your reply 1PW, but, as I have explained, I am of limited PC knowledge and I am at a loss as to how to respond, practically, to your advice.

Maybe something constructive with regards to my enclosed log would be more helpful to me.

Hello detsi:

Acrobat Reader and Java usually can be found in the top ten of "most susceptible" user applications. You would do well to update them ASAP. Some here would consider this to be constructive as the information was derived from your enclosed log post above.

Perhaps you could send the second of two DDS logs as requested above. i.e. "Attach.txt"

Are you familiar with your system's "HOST" file?

How does your system access the Internet?

If you do not feel comfortable maintaining your system, you may wish to engage the services of someone who does this professionally.

Hello detsi:

Acrobat Reader and Java usually can be found in the top ten of "most susceptible" user applications. You would do well to update them ASAP. Some here would consider this to be constructive as the information was derived from your enclosed log post above.

Perhaps you could send the second of two DDS logs as requested above. i.e. "Attach.txt"

Are you familiar with your system's "HOST" file?

How does your system access the Internet?

If you do not feel comfortable maintaining your system, you may wish to engage the services of someone who does this professionally.

I will not be proceeding with this thread. I feel that your attitude is far too patronising.

Hi detsi,

I've been reading this thread and I cannot believe the attitude of 1PW, no wonder you wish to unsubscribe from this thread!! All I can say is, don't let this jerk

dishearten you from starting further threads in pursuit of answers to any problems you are likely to encounter.

Having been a forum member for two years or so now, I have always found the MBAM forum to be one of the most helpful and friendly around and I am afraid

that 1PW is not a good representative of the forum.

Incidentally, like you, I'm still on a learning curve but like many others I'm running MBAM and SAS, both with realtime protection enabled and Avast!5 (previously

MSE) with nil conflicts. Having said that, you need to set exclusions for MBAM and SAS within your AV program and you should be able to search the forum for

this information. Hopefully, one of the forum's respected moderators or indeed anyone with this know how might be able to provide you with this information in

a far friendlier and less patronizing manner than 1PW!!

Cheers, Brian67

Hello detsi:

The unintended consequence of my post's phrasing has left you with an entirely incorrect impression.

However, I sincerely apologize for this misunderstanding and I will stand down from further posting in this thread if it is your desire.

I do hope you will discover the path to the knowledge you seek.

Happy New Year and best wishes.

Hello, detsi:

Until AdvancedSetup and/or one of the other MBAM mods or experts arrives, please do not leave the forum because of uncivil replies from one person.

With the holidays, the mods and expert members have been a bit more sparse than usual, but someone will be along soon to follow up and to assist you.

I am just a home user (not an expert), and I do not use MSE, but I have previously had no problems running MBAM and SAS on my systems with McAfee and Webroot.

I currently only use the "free" version of SAS for on-demand scans, but MBAM PRO with real-time, active protection module, runs fine alongside both KIS2011 and Webroot ISE on my 2 systems.

Lots of folks here use the combination of MSE + MBAM + SAS, so I am confident someone will come by to offer advice about this specific combo -- I am pretty sure it will be fine.

Someone will assist you setting up the necessary program permissions.

As for your Java and Adobe Reader (mistakenly referred to by the other poster as "Adobe Acrobat Reader" -- there is no such program, as "Adobe Reader" and "Adobe Acrobat" are 2 separate programs), you really ought to update the versions currently installed. This is a security issue.

For Java, go to www.java.com (that should be an Oracle web site), and there are links to instructions about how to 1) uninstall existing versions, and 2) install the current version. It is not hard (to uninstall Java, you only need to go to control panel > add/remove programs, select the Java program and the select uninstall). You also want to go into Firefox > tools > add-ons and delete all those "Java Console" extensions that are there b/c 1) you don't need them and 2) having them installed can create security vulnerabilities. If you are unsure about how to do this, visit the mozillazine forums at: http://forums.mozillazine.org > Firefox support, and either search the boards and KB or start a thread -- someone there can assist you (again, it's not hard).

For Adobe Reader, there is a new version recently published by Adobe, available here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/ . You MAY be able to update your existing version from within the application, by opening it, then clicking help > check for updates. However, since version X is a new version from the v.9 you have, it is probably best to uninstall v.9 from the Windows control panel > add/remove programs, then reboot, and then download and install the new version (rather than trying to install v.X on top of v.9). Please see my attached screen shot first, though, and be sure to UNCHECK the box about installing the McAfee (or other) security cr@p that will otherwise come "bundled" with the Reader, UNLESS you un-tick that box!

Finally, there is a program called Secunia PSI available here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ . I haven't yet personally tried it, but it comes highly recommended b/c it keeps all of your important programs up-to-date with their security updates. I think it can be configured to do all the updates "silently" (with little/no user interaction) or to just check and then notify you when updates are available.

Once again, the actions/words to which you have been subjected in the past day or so do NOT reflect in any way what I have found to be the norm on this otherwise MOST helpful, MOST responsive, and MOST expert, and MOST patient of user forums.

Please feel free to post back and let us know how you are getting along with all this, especially regarding the MBAM side of things. :welcome:

Regards,

daledoc1 (just a home user, MBAM fan, and old fogey brought up well enough to be likewise offended by rudeness)

PS Sorry this is long, but I was trying to provide sufficient detail for you. :)

Hi detsi,

I've been reading this thread and I cannot believe the attitude of 1PW, no wonder you wish to unsubscribe from this thread!! All I can say is, don't let this jerk

dishearten you from starting further threads in pursuit of answers to any problems you are likely to encounter.

Having been a forum member for two years or so now, I have always found the MBAM forum to be one of the most helpful and friendly around and I am afraid

that 1PW is not a good representative of the forum.

Incidentally, like you, I'm still on a learning curve but like many others I'm running MBAM and SAS, both with realtime protection enabled and Avast!5 (previously

MSE) with nil conflicts. Having said that, you need to set exclusions for MBAM and SAS within your AV program and you should be able to search the forum for

this information. Hopefully, one of the forum's respected moderators or indeed anyone with this know how might be able to provide you with this information in

a far friendlier and less patronizing manner than 1PW!!

Cheers, Brian67

Thank you for your support and advice, much appreciated.

Hello, detsi:

Will do.

Also, please use the "add reply" button when replying to threads (see attached).

That way, you won't get all of the previous post in your reply, and it will be easier for everyone to read.

Admittedly, it's a bit confusing as to which one to use... :welcome:

Regards,

daledoc1

The free version of MBAM and SAS will not conflict. No realtime protection means no conflict. Hope that helps.

Indeed!

I think that the whole issue of RTP/Pro and FREE versions of MBAM and SAS may have been lost in the shuffle a bit? :welcome:

Thanks for catching that distinction!

daledoc1

• Root Admin

STEP 01

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 23 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says JDK 6 Update 23 (JDK or JRE)
  • Click the Download JRE button to the right
  • Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6u23 with JavaFX 1 License Agreement". Click on Continue. The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add or Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java™ 6) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u23-windows-i586-s.exe to install the newest version.

• After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
        Applications and Applets
        Trace and Log Files

[*]Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window

Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.

[*]Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window

[*]Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

STEP 02

For Adobe Reader you can visit this link (personally I would uncheck any toolbar added to the list) click on their download and it should automatically update your Adobe Reader to the latest version.

http://get.adobe.com/reader

If you're having any issues with Malware or other PC issues please let us know and we'll try to assist you.

Hi guys, thanks so far for your help.

I have sorted the Java consoles, but I'm having some difficulty reinstalling Acrobat. I have uninstalled the Acrobat Reader 9 but to install Acrobat X I apparently need a missing plug-in. I have tried to install manually without success. I have installed Secunia and it looks like the problem lies with Adobe GetPlusDLM 1.x which needs updating but I cannot find a link.

Do I really need the Adobe products ? Would uninstalling them cause any problems ?

EDIT: Sorry, Haider! I was typing as you posted.

We are drifting significantly "off-topic" here, but, with the moderators' kind indulgence:

1) Adobe DLM is their "download manager" installer -- current versions are designed to uninstall themselves after they are used to install updates to Adobe programs. I would first uninstall any older version of Adobe DLM from the control panel (since these did NOT uninstall themselves) and then try again for Reader X. You will likely need to temporarily allow the DLM for the Reader install, but then you can check to be sure it is uninstalled afterward (by looking in the Control Panel). You can manually delete it, if need be.

2) No, you don't NEED Adobe products per se -- there are many alternative PDF file programs out there now, each with its own bugs and glitches (and annoying bundled software!!!). You need some sort of PDF viewer on your computer in order to be able to open PDF files. Be sure to research a bit before making a decision which to use -- Foxit, in particular is notorious for installing bundled programs, even if you tell it not to.

3) If you have FLASH PLAYER and/or SHOCKWAVE PLAYER installed (most folks do), be sure to update these, too for the same security reasons (even more so!). Just Google "what version of Flash do I have" and "what version of Shockwave do I have" to find the proper Adobe web pages for testing your system and for d/l of the current, most secure versions. You need to do this in both IE (where it's called Active X) and FF separately, since it is a different plug-in for the 2 browsers. As with the Adobe Reader, be sure to UNCHECK any boxes offering to install any bundled toolbars or security products. If you encounter problems with this -- at least for FF - I would consult the mozillazine forums for assistance (link is in my earlier post).

Once again, I sincerely apologize to AdvancedSetup & the other mods/admins for drifting so far off-topic.

Please post back in a new thread with any malware or MBAM problems.

Best regards,

daledoc1