Open-Source?

Any chance one day it would become open-source? Though if the company is relying on the profits of the software, I can kinda understand why not, though is there a chance in the future once it was popular enough rely on donations (similar to Spybot - but only open-source)?

Oh, want to add how cool it will be when StartupLite will also take out unnecessary Services.

• Root Admin

Unfortunately, I don't think Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will be open source. Reason being, we attack malicious software and if they somehow got ahold of the source, they would know how to exploit our own software. As for StartUpLite, eventually it will be able to take out unnecessary services.

Unfortunately, I don't think Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will be open source. Reason being, we attack malicious software and if they somehow got ahold of the source, they would know how to exploit our own software.

Marcin, that is good reasoning. :)

-eXaByTe

Unfortunately, I don't think Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will be open source. Reason being, we attack malicious software and if they somehow got ahold of the source, they would know how to exploit our own software. As for StartUpLite, eventually it will be able to take out unnecessary services.

Ah, good point.

• 5 years later...

this is not a valid point. a programs security does not lay in obscurity. closed source is obscurity. as an example pgp is open source and it does not mater because pgp was written in a way that there are no holes to exploit. malwarebytes does have vary good definitions for malware but that does not mean that it is not malware its self. if you have not seen the source code then malware bytes might be selling your information on the black market or mining it for the NSA. this is very unlikely but still posible and you cant prove me wrong because none of us can see the source code and say for sure.

• Root Admin

I'm sorry but the business World is not going to provide their software as open source simply because your thoughts of a Utopian World where everything is free and everything is open to everyone.  Providing proprietary software is how the computing and business World operate and makes money.  Open source is free and generates no money.

You're welcome to go ask a few thousand other software companies if they're willing to provide their software as Open Source but for now ours will remain proprietary.

Thank you

this is not a valid point. a programs security does not lay in obscurity. closed source is obscurity. as an example pgp is open source and it does not mater because pgp was written in a way that there are no holes to exploit. malwarebytes does have vary good definitions for malware but that does not mean that it is not malware its self. if you have not seen the source code then malware bytes might be selling your information on the black market or mining it for the NSA. this is very unlikely but still posible and you cant prove me wrong because none of us can see the source code and say for sure.

I'm sorry, YOURS is not a valid point.

There are very few business models on OpenSource software that make money so new projects can get funded and there is progression.  Those who hold proprietary software have the money to make investments in new software projects.  Some will fail and others will lead to new innovative products that become defacto standards..

While there are certainly some things that benefit mankind by OpenSource and not patenting (such as Dr. J. Salk's Polio Vaccination).  For the most part industries have to keep product ingredients or product information secret and must apply for patents to protect their assets so that the investments have viable profits to recoup costs of R&D.

Another reason that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can NOT be OpenSource is that if the source code is released to the General Public then the malicious actors can also get a hold of it, peer over the code, and find vectors of attack and exploitation to thwart the ability of the software to actually perform its intended function. 

While there is some really great software such as LibreOffice and VLC Media Player that use this model, one can also find fault in the software because the faults have a greater propensity due to the OpenSource model used in the product's development.

• 6 years later...

If after the developers create a new version that patches a security hole, and then release the older version's source code, that would make is less venerable to viruses made from source code exploits. It would also let Linux devlopers make a version for Linux. As well as create code patches that could be pulled into the next version.