Malwarebytes Warns About New Facebook Attack

A better option may be to use NoScript and disable i-frames in the settings - then you can allow them temporarily on other sites as needed on an individual site AND individual i-frame basis. I don't use Facebook but I do block all i-frames and all objects normally (including on trusted sites) and just allow what I need/trust. That works really well for me.

Thanks for the NOSCRIPT tip; I went to double-check mine and it wasn't.. Ooooops! I wouldn't have thought it was UNchecked as I haven't had problems but I'll not leave such extensions at the DEFAULT install values from now on.

Good Info "CC".. :P

~Shy

I have gotton a virus like this, but it has made my curser freeze. I do not know how to fix this. Im not a expert on such matters. I dont know to fix this. Any one got a idea? :P

Hi greaneyedlady, and Welcome to Malwarebytes!

Sorry to see that your post went unnoticed, normally for help with infections you need to in the appropriate section (this is why it went unnoticed), anyway please follow the instructions listed below....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. :P

Two members of our Corporate Salesforce have already fallen victim to this attack. Nothing we can do but have them send their laptops back for reimaging.

If you are a paying corporate customer you could have seek-ed assistance by sending them an email.... (then again I for one know how quick a fix to just reimage a computer) just good to know to have options....

Please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org with your Cleverbridge order reference number and they will assist you.

...Nothing we can do but have them send their laptops back for reimaging.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to issue a usb key or disc with a pre-installed image as required to each of those members of staff with clear intructions on performing a re-imaging procedure so that it could be done in the field?

Could even arrange for those key and disc images to be updated on the road if need be

Presumably the IT dept and support is only a phonecall away and can also be logged into via the web (and perhaps via a VPN) in any case.

Just my two cents' worth..

• 2 months later...
Firefox Users

In the address bar go to about:config

In the Filter: browser.frames.enabled

Double click the value to toggle from true to false.

JLYK.

Doing that totally disabled my Fakebook to the point where I had to switch to my I.E. in order for Fakebook to function.

I was able to open Fakebook; and read what was there.

BUT, it took the abilty to send anything away.

My firefox has a spell check and a better downloading file system.

I'm VERY disappointed that I tried this without first researching it first. :)

Accidentally I directed my mouse to one of those links in Facebook, but I didn't clicked it nor I didn't clicked "Like". I mean, that I only directed my mouse to one of those links, not clicked it. Am I now infected? I remember, that there was Twitter virus, what needed only directing mouse to activate it.

Just hovering over it, will most likely not execute it, hence you are probably ok. There are ways of it happening I suppose with java scripts and such, but if you want to make sure you are not infected, update your Malwarebytes and run a quick scan and see what results you get.

Let us know how it goes.

Just hovering over it, will most likely not execute it, hence you are probably ok. There are ways of it happening I suppose with java scripts and such, but if you want to make sure you are not infected, update your Malwarebytes and run a quick scan and see what results you get.

Let us know how it goes.

I ran Mbam and it found nothing, so I think, that everything is fine.

• 4 weeks later...