Update problem since Avira 10

I posted on this problem yesterday and thought it was corrected, but the problem has come back with a new error message.

I have tracked down the problem. Since I updated to the new Avira 10, the WebGuard feature of Avira is blocking the MBAM updates. If I disable WebGuard, the MBAM update works.

With WebGuard enabled, I get the following error message: "MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING(12002,0,WinHttpReceiveResponse)"

I have excluded MBAM from Avira Scan and Firewall, but there is way to exclude it from WebGuard. In WebGuard, there is an exclusion for URLs, but I do not know what to put to exclude the MBAM update. Would a URL exclusion work here?

I did not have this problem with Avira 9 WebGuard feature.

I know that many people on the forum use Avira. I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem with Avira 10 WebGuard.

I appreciate your input.

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for the URL.

I entered it as an exclusion for WebGuard. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. I still get the same errror message.

I am wondering what else I can do so that I don't have to disable Avira Webguard everytime that I want to update MBAM.

All help will be most appreciated.

• Root Admin

The correct DNS is: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

hi Ron,

I added the DNS data-cdn.mbamupdates.com to the Avira WebGuard url exclusion list and now the MBAM updates is working again.

I assume that I don't need to uninstall and reinstall MBAM--is this right?

Thank you so much for the help.

greyowl