whos behind virgin medias firewall.

mbyuser

whos behind virgin medias firewall,ie who made or maintains this product?

looking at the the av/anti spyware its kaspersky.

ive looked around and most off what i find is on pages i wouldnt visit.

so here i am.

not looking to install the software as imo i wouldnt trust it to to keep my "doors locked" not the firewall anyway.

still i might be perciving this wrong and it might be better than i think.

anyone know whos behind there firewall or have any consutrictive comments on the rest off there software?

If it's Kaspersky for the AV then more than likely they licensed Kaspersky Labs firewall as well. I know AOL had previously offered a somewhat feature limited version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus for free which they'd licensed from them but have now replaced it with McAfee. It may also be ZoneAlarm's firewall that they're using, as I know it's compatible with Kaspersky since ZA IS uses Kaspersky's AV engine.

If it's Kaspersky for the AV then more than likely they licensed Kaspersky Labs firewall as well. I know AOL had previously offered a somewhat feature limited version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus for free which they'd licensed from them but have now replaced it with McAfee. It may also be ZoneAlarm's firewall that they're using, as I know it's compatible with Kaspersky since ZA IS uses Kaspersky's AV engine.

It seems the security industry is losing quite a bit of originality. My opinion is that they need to create their own idea's and stop mimicking others or using their products. You might as well go for the real deal not some cheap knock off.

ISP's do this sort of thing all the time. They aren't trying to create a competitive security suite, they're just trying to provide protection for their users. I actually have to applaud their choice as most ISP's are simply offering limited McAfee or Norton versions these days which aren't always the best for protection or threat detection.

I see, your mainly referring to ISP. It is nice for ISP's to help you out. I'm mostly referring to products such as A2's Ikarus engine where they use part of someone else product. In my opinion it removes originality, and keeps the same old strategy we've had for years. They need to create more different idea's unique to them, to make it more difficult for the malware writers.

Yeah, but I don't expect an ISP to do that. As for other security software companies, I guess they do it to beef up their own products. If Kaspersky or whoever else doesn't like it they don't have to license their engine for use by another vendor. It helps them have higher detection rates, which certainly isn't a bad thing.