Re-organizing protection for my PC

FinnishSaint

As in a previous post suggested, you should give Online Armor firewall a go : it's light on resources and very easy to manage (I have it installed on a HP Mini Netbook as well without any problems).

I don't know whether you are looking for a free AV or a paid one but, after testing a lot of AV's, I'm very pleased now with Eset Nod 32 (which doesn't come free) but is light on resources as well and works very well together with Online Armor and MBAM Pro.

(Just putting my one cent in). :)

You can change your signature to AMD Sempron 2400+, 767 MB RAM, XP Home Edition SP3 with Avast!Antivirus

Online Armor is a good firewall and they have a free version.

Sounds like your Windows XP Home Edition could use more RAM.

I upgraded my XP Home system to 1.5GB RAM and now it works almost as fast as my Windows 7 system.

MSE is OK but not as good as avast!

Sounds like your Windows XP Home Edition could use more RAM.

I upgraded my XP Home system to 1.5GB RAM and now it works almost as fast as my Windows 7 system.

MSE is OK but not as good as avast!

RAM costs some money, which I don't have much at the moment... And I can't add anymore virtual RAM, it's already at 4000MB.

I've checked it out and my RAM usage stays under 50% while CPU is running almost 100%.

And why I swap to MSE is because Avast! requires rerribly much CPU and it slows my computer down.

RAM costs some money, which I don't have much at the moment... And I can't add anymore virtual RAM, it's already at 4000MB.

I've checked it out and my RAM usage stays under 50% while CPU is running almost 100%.

And why I swap to MSE is because Avast! requires rerribly much CPU and it slows my computer down.

Exactly :rolleyes: .

I've changed my DDR1 RAM from around 200MB to the 512MB one. I think it gave my computer a little boost but we'll see about that later. So now I have 2x512MB=about 1GB RAM + Virtual RAM converted from hard disk(up to 4GB). Now I can run umm a setup, Firefox, Online Armor, security programs at background(real-time), uTorrent and DriverGenius at the same time and not freezing up, just slowing down :rolleyes:

FinnishSaint,

I'm sure you are already aware of the dangers of torrent usage, but in case you are not, or if you would like some reading, please see these topics:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=172812

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=165284

Yes, I'm very much aware of that and have dealt with p2p related malware several times.

But I'm willing to take that risk. This is one of the reasons why I want to re-organize, to control uTorrent more effectively :)

Thanks for your attention anyway, I really appreciate it.

You're welcome :)

Not that I endorse p2p usage, but just as long as you are aware of the risks and are as careful as you can be to not get infected and spread infection to others.

Now this is getting weird,

Since I've changed Avast! to MSE and installed Online Armor free, my PC has gone a bit weird. First it started as slowing down a bit, but later my desktop started to load so freaking slow! After opening my profile it freezes for a while in the state, where the desktop image is on, but there's no icons or taskbars etc.

After that my video card(?) started not to respond some times. My screen just says, that "entering power save" and I can't get out of it. Computer still stays on, I have to turn it off from the power swich.

Those "black-outs" happen after the desktop has loaded and I've used the PC for a while, like 5 mins.

I'm working on the problem but any help would be appreciated

Hmm.

Try posting your issue in the PC Help forum, someone should be able to assist you.

Me though, unfortunately I have no idea :) Only thing I can think of is did you make sure to add exclusions to all your security softwares for each other? :)

Out of my league too, but could there be remnants of other AVs on the system? Uninstalling AVs using the normal method (i.e. via the control panel/uninstall a programme) does not always FULLY remove them and even remnants of other AV software can effect the function of your current AV and system environment. I would suggest you run the removal tool for avast! and any other AV software that has been on the computer before (most PCs come bundled with something like Norton or McAffee). I'll see if I can find a list of AV removal tools for you. If they don't work or you have already run them before installing MSE then you'll need to consult a brain bigger than mine....

EDIT Here ya go. I got this link from exile360: hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233421 It has a list of uninstallers for various AVs.

and here is a link for the MSE forum (the section you'll need for your question in this case) : hxxp://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/threads

Great, problem solved! :)

Today XP and desktop loaded like a lightning. Probably Online Armor(firewall program) was too much for my computer(Yes, I had set the exclusions). Now continuing with Avira Antivirus, Mbam Pro and that regular, XP Firewall.

Still looking for recommended firewall software(light)