Re-organizing protection for my PC

FinnishSaint

Hi buddys,

I was reading your posts about antivir programs etc and decided to ask you for help about my security programs.

I currently use Avast! 5 Home Edition as antivir(CPU hogger) as antivir, Windows Defender (!), Mbam Pro as antimalware and P2P protection and HijackThis as log creator.

One program I'm planing to add is MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) that I've heard to be quite lite. So should I replace Windows Defender with MSE or what, your comments and opinions needed!

I can say that my processor is quite old and slow(under 2 MHz or were they GHz, I don't rememb) and all the other parts are from the stone age too so please don't suggest me to pack my system up with dozens of antiviruses :) Current set has worked without bigger problems.

And if you have some more time, I'd me more than glad to receive suggestion for my old laptop that is going to reformated(fully) and updated so I need FULL combo of security programs and useful software. This machine is slow too, I think I don't have to say more(it's XP too).

I repeat, FULL combo including every protection I should get(No need to mention Mbam) :)

Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate your kind act :)

FinnishSaint,

Well firstly MSE would replace Avast!, not Windows Defender.

You should NOT run more than one AV (antivirus) at a time. AV's include: Avira, AVG, Avast! MSE, Kaspersky, ESET NOD32, Vipre, etc...

My ideal set up recommendation would be one of these AVs: Avira, Avast!, MSE, Kaspersky, or ESET.

And then with one of those, Malwarebytes Pro (of course, that's a given, hehe), HostsMan Hosts file editor, and any other protections you might like to have in place such as WinPatrol, NoScript if you are a Firefox user, etc...

What do you have for RAM?

MSE would not replace avast! as it is a much better anti virus application.

I would not run Windows Defender on XP as it is not as effective as MBAM resident protection.

It would be good to add RAM to your system if possible.

YoKenny1,

What I meant was, Windows Defender and MSE/Avast! are not in the same category as Windows Defender as WD is not an antivirus application :) That's what I meant when I said that MSE would replace Avast! if FinnishSaint wished to replace his or her AV, and that MSE would NOT replace Windows Defender; an AV would still be needed.

Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

:)

It can be effective, but generally only if used with non-default settings where you have it notify you of changes made by unknown/uncategorized applications. It works similar to TeaTimer if you've ever used that, except instead of blocking changes by default, it allows them by default, then notifies you about them and the application that made the changes and allows you to undo the changes if you wish.

Ok, I'll remove Windows Defender.

Do you recommend any other AV that would replace Avast! ? It's quite heavy and I was thinking something else. It should be very much the same type. Suggestions?

Second, what does Windows Defender do?

And finaly, should I get another firewall, I got Widows Firewall and modem/router firewall at the moment.

Still looking for those complete combos! :)

For replacing avast! with another anti virus application I would recommend MSE but if avast! is giving a performance problem then MSE might also.

In your signature you indicate Windows XP Hode Edition SP3 which does not indicate CPU processor nor speed and the amount of RAM the system has and I think it should be XP Home not Hode.

This information will help to recommend the software to use.

Congratulations on becoming an Honorary Member.

For replacing avast! with another anti virus application I would recommend MSE but if avast! is giving a performance problem then MSE might also.

MSE shouldn't cause a performance problem. My dad has a pentium 3 with 256 mb ram and performs much better then with avast.

In your signature you indicate Windows XP Hode Edition SP3 which does not indicate CPU processor nor speed and the amount of RAM the system has and I think it should be XP Home not Hode.

Congratulations on becoming an Honorary Member.

I like it pretty well :)

I don't use it personally, but I've installed it on a machine that I look after and it does quite well on there (Vista), running light and everything, and they seem to like it well enough.

I've also given two friends instructions on installing it on their machines when they were looking for an AV (one was sick of McAfee [XP] and the other had a Norton trial running out [Vista]) and I haven't heard any complaints from them.

Each machine also has Mbam free on it. :)

Hi buddys,

I was reading your posts about antivir programs etc and decided to ask you for help about my security programs.

[...]

Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate your kind act :)

Congrats on HONORARY MEMBERSHIP!

As for a firewall, I've used/tried-to-use quite a few but downloaded the free version of ONLINE ARMOR a few days ago.... liked the ease of set-up, auto-learn mode, etc, so much I bought the company.. errrr.. ahhh.. bought the Pro Version - 25% off until the end of the month. Play with the FREE version and in a couple of days, it'll pop-up the discount offer for the registered, Pro version.

Shy

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still looking for an answer to this:

Do I need a firewall program when I already have Windows Firewall(as default in XP) and modem/router firewall?

Well; the window's firewall only works in ONE direction, not both.. As for the router, unless it says it has a firewall built in (hardwire or software), it doesn't.

I'm not the sharpest toothpick on the dining room table so that's the extent of my knowledge. (*crap*) Gotta go cut up the whole chicken so the wife can work on supper.. back in a little while.

Shy

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still looking for an answer to this:

Do I need a firewall program when I already have Windows Firewall(as default in XP) and modem/router firewall?

Yes you still do. Sadly when Microsoft added the firewall to xp it was writen to the registry. Which makes it very easy to get disabled by malware. I know from experince, I had to remove entries with malwarebytes from my dad's computer. Some good one's are outpost free, online armor and pc tools firewall.

Finnish Saint,

In my opinion, Windows Firewall with a modem/router firewall is sufficient.

But if you'd like to use a third-party software firewall in place of Windows Firewall, go ahead if you wish.

This information will help to recommend the software to use.

How much RAM? CPU? As YoKenny1 pointed out, this information is needed to better help you with suggestions rather than shooting in the dark and guessing about your system specs.