AVG anti virus has a problem with Malwarebytes

laserjet

please can anyone please clarify is malwarebytes antispyware or antivirus. i just activated realtime protection on malwarebytes and AVG Free went crazy had to uninstall malwarebytes AVG Free says it detects another antivirus , yet i found out about malwarebytes on the majorgeeks website where it is listed as a antispyware. Please I need to know if its ok to run both AVG free antivirus and Malwarebytes thank you

FYI - AVG 7.5 is also giving Online Armor grief as well. AVG is discontinuing their stand alone v7.5 in favor of their new AVG 8. Suite. It's just my opinion of course, but I don't think they're maintaining the 7.5 knowing that it's going to be discontinued. They say that they will continue definition updates until the end of the year. Basically, if you've got problems caused by AVG, and your subscription runs out relatively soon, dump it and solve your problem.

I've recently heard that AVG 7.5 Free is pushing AVG 8, acting like adware. Not sure about popups but it has been said to have an advertisement for 8 inside the application.

Thank goodness there's avast home which is free! :P

I've recently heard that AVG 7.5 Free is pushing AVG 8, acting like adware. Not sure about popups but it has been said to have an advertisement for 8 inside the application.

Thank goodness there's avast home which is free! ;)

AVG can push AVG 8 all it wants. I prefer the layered protection method. MBAM has moved into my AVG AS slot and I have uninstalled AVG a few months early. :P

Thank goodness there's avast home which is free! ;)

Hi Tarun AVG 8 is force installing the Yahoo tool bar to anyone that installs. There is no opt out for the tool bar. Yup this is how malware behaves. :P

Hi Tarun AVG 8 is force installing the Yahoo tool bar to anyone that installs. There is no opt out for the tool bar. Yup this is how malware behaves. :P
I dumped AVG Free ages ago when it started to pop up adverts for the AVG 8 Suite and that was not too sweet for me.

I am not particularly fond of anything Yahoo other than Yahoo news but then that just my choice but now that AVG 8 force installs the Yahoo tool bar then they will be banished to &hotplace as far as I'm concerned.

I'm using avast! now.

• 1 month later...
Hi Tarun AVG 8 is force installing the Yahoo tool bar to anyone that installs. There is no opt out for the tool bar. Yup this is how malware behaves. B)

if you looked when you installed avg8 theres a box to agree to toolbar or not install toolbar

Then there is the whole issue with it attacking spybot and spywareblaster .

The immunizations that they use uses malicious GUIDs to prevent them from installing . AVG uses a list of bad GUIDs and locations to find them just like MBAM . The problem is that they are looking in a place where malicious GUIDs are SUPPOSED to be and calling them malware .

I made this exact mistake with MBAM months ago and fixed it in the same day I added it by mistake , its super simple to fix , AVG just does not seem to want to .

I didn't know this Bruce, thanks for pointing it out. There are a couple of other sites where users are not sure what to think now and this is a good thing to know. It's really too bad, once AVG was a great program, one of the only free reliable ones out there and it took a dive in a hurry.

I didn't know this Bruce, thanks for pointing it out. There are a couple of other sites where users are not sure what to think now and this is a good thing to know. It's really too bad, once AVG was a great program, one of the only free reliable ones out there and it took a dive in a hurry.

I've known for a few years that AVG was not the best free AV on the market, but it's sad that they had to prove it like that...

I typically recomend avast! to those who need a free AV, since it often does a better job than AVG, and they are a lot better at making a free AV than Grisoft is. Of course, if the user doesn't mind the ad while updating, AntiVir really is the best free AV as far as detection rates.

I use Avira, I don't begrudge them one attempt to get me to buy the program at update time. B) Avast is good too. I have used both, but do think Avira has the edge on adding the newest stuff, from what I see in a forum where the vendor is present.

AVG hasn't been the best for awhile but was still OK and the spy/add ware remover was good. I don't recommend either anymore.

Then there is the whole issue with it attacking spybot and spywareblaster .

The immunizations that they use uses malicious GUIDs to prevent them from installing . AVG uses a list of bad GUIDs and locations to find them just like MBAM . The problem is that they are looking in a place where malicious GUIDs are SUPPOSED to be and calling them malware .

As a result of this (I have Spywareblaster installed) I disabled my scheduled daily scan by AVG 8.0 and run a daily quick scan by MBAM now, but I'm wondering whether I need to run a daily antivirus scan in additon to MBAMs scan?

Thanks.

Mona.

As a result of this (I have Spywareblaster installed) I disabled my scheduled daily scan by AVG 8.0 and run a daily quick scan by MBAM now, but I'm wondering whether I need to run a daily antivirus scan in additon to MBAMs scan?

Thanks.

Mona.

I would say that an AV running real time is important. However I think doing additional scans are a waste of time. I have Superantispyware running real time, and MBAM for on demand scans when I think one is appropriate.

Thanks.

Mona.

Hi Mona and welcome to Malwarebytes. Yes you need an antiviurus program. Since you already have Spywareblaster installed, there shouldn't be an issue. The install is what nosirrah is saying was/is attacked.

The way MBAM scans files will trigger your AV to scan the file as well .

What I am saying is that if you scan with MBAM you are already scanning with your AV .

You can test this by doing the following :

(with AV protection turned on) Reboot and do a quick scan with MBAM .

Now reboot and disable your AV protection (if your not an expert it would be wise to turn off your internet as well) and do another quick scan .

The quick scan with AV on will take longer because your AV will be scanning the files MBAM scans as well and this will make scanning slower .

Thanks.

Mona.

Unless you do a lot of browsing for warez, pirated music/movies, or other naughty stuff, then you shouldn't need to do daily virus scans. Also, if you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer then daily virus scans are also not needed (unless you are downloading and running warez on a regular basis).

Note: Obviously alternative browsers don't garantee that you can't be infected, but remember that the authors of MPack recommend to their customers to use Opera with scripts and plugins disabled in order to avoid being infected by other sites that are using MPack. I don't know if MPack is still being actively developed, but considering the number of open holes in Internet Explorer, it's safe to assume that even an outdated version of MPack can compromise IE6.

Heartfelt thanks for all your suggestions.

I have AVG 8.0 suite as my real time AV/AS protection (together with Online Armor Firewall), MBAM with real time protection and SpywareBlaster.

I really try to practise "safe" surfing and have TrendProtect installed as well which gives me (along with Online Armor program guard) an additional protection to avoid dodgy websites, although most of the time I visit the same (considered safe) sites.

A couple of weeks ago though I got a scare by visiting My Space and getting a warning about an infected profile, and that's why I might now be a bit too concerned about getting an infected notebook, hence my question about these scans.

I also download attachments to a temp file and scan them with MBAM before opening them (very useful suggestion from joe53 at Support Dell Forums) and run CCleaner before shut down.

I do realize this may all be a bit "over the top" but I use my laptop for work too so I really want to keep it clean.

Mona.