mbamgui.exe running with very high CPU

So I recently installed mbam and registered it for the active protection. I was looking through my task manager and I saw that while the system tray icon was active (even when IP and regular protection was DISABLED) mbamgui.exe ran at about 49-50 CPU all of the time. Mbam program wasn't up and it wasn't updating or participating in an active scan. The protection has only been active for about a day. Is this a one-time thing, or does it always run this high?

I am running Win7 Pro x64 w/4GB of RAM and a dual core E8400 chip. I haven't really noticed any slowdowns from it, but a number that high is a little strange.

Hi Slacko -

Yes you are right , that is a reasonably high number - Just remember to close all other programs and other background operations when you do this sort of checking - Most report less now (1.43 - the last version was a bit high) and most of the problems seem fixed -

Also remember to disable your Anti-vius when you do these checks as some can cause a fair amount of CPU usage-

Thanks for the report - ;)

• Root Admin

Please temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and run the following.

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.

Then make sure you re-enable your Anti-Virus and make sure any file and folder exclusions are setup for it.

Look at the E,F, H examples here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Thanks for the advice. I was initially having the issue of getting error code 2 whenever I tried to enable protection. I had tried all of the suggestions including the one you just mentioned. I ended up having to manually start the service after pressing the activate protection button. Could this be causing the high CPU usage: a messed up service? Thanks.

Please temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and run the following.

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.

Then make sure you re-enable your Anti-Virus and make sure any file and folder exclusions are setup for it.

Look at the E,F, H examples here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Trend Micro Office Scan 10 usually runs in the background with the proxy service disabled. Although for the MBAM install attempts I turned it off for every step and it didnt help. Althouh TMOS was running when mbamgui.exe was running at a high CPU.

Hello ;)

What other security software do you have installed?