IP blocking instructions -

noknojon

This may have been mentioned, but I feel it still needs a review -

Several people (actually quite a few) seem to have problems understanding the IP blocking process and how to deal with the situation when it occurs -

Many do not know how to stop IP's popping up on random sites and even at times that they are not on line - These posts show the confusion that occurs -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=184519

It seems that a more detailed "screed" or other set of 'instructions' of some type could be issued that included how to react when they want a site to be allowed , even if the IP is noted as 'bad' - The 2 posts at the link show how people want the pro version , but are not too sure how to deal with it -

Thank You - :)

@ Firefox -

Agree with a 'Read me' type of file - I know it is more work for some body, but we seem to answer these questions most days -

Especially for the paying customers who do not understand the IP process, and how to allow certain sites while 'generally' blocking the IP -

The free version needs no addition except maybe a better direction towards the FAQ Section (Headlined ??)

Thank You - :)

I bet 1 eicar.com file it is matter of time before on/off enter GUI. I doubt suggesting regedit.exe or finding links to reg files can be a permanent or wanted solution. There could be a reason for delay. That some insist user should see window? I can understand that, why "support" a site with blocked content - or why not help a clueless site admin by giving useful info? And some will be curious :( But can amount of info be increased?

Right now content is pretty much meaningless. There is no need for a headline saying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for example. That gets old :) Would help a bit if Malwarebytes could show which window/app has blocked content. Hard to tell if machine is running full speed and multitasking is at its highest. And classification as well http://hosts-file.net/?s=classifications Most comes from hphosts right? So may be a click on balloon window could throw user directly to entry? May be servers need tuning first.

Entry is full of links and technical stuff but that is a question of user being interested enough. Is always 100% relevant and not generic blah blah.

I could also imagine some stats, like todays winner, weekly totals - so easy to find the worst and put them in hosts/router as to limit popups.

A pretty version of this pic with a hidden link to hphosts database would be nice. I guess not possible to use domain name instead of numbers.

post-12692-1263726943_thumb.png

Would help a bit if Malwarebytes could show which window/app has blocked content
MBAM is not capable of doing that, a tracing program or firewall would be but not MBAM, it simply detects and blocks connections to those IP's regardless of where the connection attempt is coming from, be it a program on your PC or from the malicious IP to your computer from the outside.
I guess not possible to use domain name instead of numbers.
No, unfortunately the reason MBAM blocks IP's instead of domain names is because of the fact that malicious sites change their host names too frequently to keep up with, but they change IP's much less often since it's more difficult to do and they'd have to recode their malware to connect to the new IP's (as with trojans, downloaders, rogues and backdoor infections).

Thanks for that well put answer exile360 -

There is no need for a headline saying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for example.

This is NOT what is meant by this thread - Read it slowly and you will understand -

I just meant a "head lined" FAQ Section - With a simple "Read Me File" instruction for IP blocking (like Firefox said) -

As there is a way to allow some sites without blocking a complete IP , this is the info that is needed -

Thanks - :)