Can free version 1.42 scan a single selected file?

I use the free version of malwarebytes. When I went to update defs for 1.41 on Friday 11/4/09, the update changed my version to 1.42. Thats great. But I notice that with 1.42 version, I can't select a single specific file and then run a malwarebytes scan on that one file or folder.

Example,

I go to C:\Program Files\java

I right click on the folder and I use to have the option to scan with malewarebytes. But now I don't. I can still do a quick scan, but not a specific folder or file.

Is this a chnage that came with the free 1.42 version?

I can still update defs, so I know its not some malware stopping it from working

So when you right click a file, it doesn't show up in the drop down menu as an option to scan with MWB?

On my XP Media Center Edition SP2, with MWB 1.42, I am able to right click scan a single file or folder, so I don't think 1.42 has changed anything in that respect.

Maybe you should run some scans on your system with MWB and whatever other security software you are using, just to check things over. I would suggest that rather than starting with uninstalling and reinstalling MWB right away, just in case you do have some malware that's causing this.

P.S. FWIW, XP Media Center edition is pretty much a dressed up version of XP Pro.

well I can update and run a quick scan with malwarebytes, I can update and run a quick scan with spybot S&D, and I can update and run a full scan with Norton. All scans come up clean except for the tracking cookies. My norton is working because it shows firewall blocking etc

I just can't right click a file or program fiolder and find the drop down for malwarebytes. I see the drop down for my norton, but not malwarebytes

Now I use the malwarebytes as an on demand scanner and not real time scanner

Amethyst and exile- could it be because I'm using Vista?? And maybe vista is not recognizing the newer version of malewarebytes yet in the drop down option because it just came out??

as I said I can update teh defs and run a quick scan so I don't think its any kind of infection. Why would an infection allow me to run a quick scan but not scan a single specified file?

@ CCMUA2009

I think that it might actually be because you have Vista - if I am remembering correctly, it doesn't have the right-click scan-with option, but I could be wrong. I'll let Exile or Amethyst answer that for sure :)

with version 1.41 I was able to do the right click scan on a file or folder. Now I downloaded 1.41 from Cnet but the 1.42 came as an update from malwarebytes.org when I went to up date defs. So that is why part of me is wonderuing if I just have to uninsatll 1.42 and then download it from Cnet?

Oh then maybe the installation got messed up. I'd do a clean install then if I were you.

> Download mbam from Cnet, but do not yet install.

> Uninstall Malwarebytes via the control panel.

> Restart your computer.

> Download mbam clean from here.

> Restart your computer.

> Now install the mbam that you downloaded from Cnet :)

See if that does the trick, and let us know. :)

Oh yeah, you should definitely be able to do a quick scan and get updated definitions! This is ALWAYS available to free users of Malwarebytes with NO limitations :)

As for the right click, I do not have Vista and I can't remember from the Vistas that I have used if that works, so I'll let someone with a Vista who knows for sure answer that for you.

Also, do you have the User Account Control turned on? :)

Glad you have the UAC on. (I don't think that that has anything to do with this though, I just wanted to make sure you had it on. :) )

The only thing I can think of is then, are you trying to right-click and scan the file on an administrator account?

Hmm I am not sure whats going on then if my idea above doesn't work, someone else will need to help you figure this out then. Exile will probably be able to help you figure this out next time he's on and has a moment :)

I have the context menu entry on right-clicking files and folders and can do an on-demand scan on both. (System is Vista Business ed. 32-bit edition full retail boxed version).

Thing is a right-click scan on the Windows folder just now took just over 12 minutes whereas a typical quick scan takes just under 3 minutes. There are no error messages popping up; I wonder whether MBAM is programmed to scan every file and folder when doing a right-click scan which would explain the length of time it took to perform the above scan. Thinking about it MBAM was not designed to be used primarily in that way; that ability simply makes it more "complete" so to speak. It didn't need to be included really, given the way MBAM is intended to work, in my view.

There is a very slight delay in calling MBAM to perform a given right-click scan but it's nothing to write home about.

seems that I may have figured out the answer to this without removing and installing 1.42 again

I log on my computer as a limited user account, so....

I right clicked on the desktop icon malwarebytes

then ran as admin

then went to settings tab

there I noticed that "create right click menue to scan files" WAS CHECKED

But I unchecked it and then went back through the same process and Checked it

Now it seems that I can right click any file and have the option to scan with malwarebytes, even without running as admin ( for scanning the item)

So maybe when the update happened, it caused the settings to have to be ok'd by admin me again???

Any of this make sense?