Error MB1 when trying to install V5 on Mac with Beta of Mac OS 15

Go to solution Solved by msherwood,

I am running a beta of Mac OS 15 (System Version: macOS 15.0 (24A5320a)). I have removed MalwareBytes 4 and downloaded the Beta for Malwarebytes for Mac 5 (Malwarebytes-Mac-5.5.2.1604.pkg).

When I double click the installer I get the error message shown in the attachment. 

Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Bryan

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 9.05.55 AM.png

Hello @bryanschmiedeler and welcome back:

The reply given you by Thomas over a year ago for macOS 14 Sonoma applies today with MB5 for Mac and macOS 15/15.1 Sequoia.

The Malwarebytes management simply won't want their developers releasing code for a moving target.

Please look back at this subforum in a month or so.

HTH

Edit: As this is posted, macOS Sequoia betas are at:

15.0 is at Beta 6

15.1 is at Beta 2

Edited by 1PW

Hello @bryanschmiedeler:

Au contraire Brian…

You have posted a question that other Mac/Malwarebytes users have not yet asked, but really want to.

You are always welcome to post your questions. Hopefully, someone will always have good information for you.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

On 8/17/2024 at 12:27 PM, 1PW said:

The Malwarebytes management simply won't want their developers releasing code for a moving target.

With respect, I think this is poor policy.

This forum is for technically savvy people who wish to engage in beta testing.  Unless the current beta is severely crashing or damaging Sequoia, it should not artificially be blocked from being installed.  Instead, installs should be allowed and bugs can be reported...even if MB doesn't want to work on fixing them yet.

Any knowledge gained on both sides from this testing is better for all parties.  Otherwise, why are we here?  

Please take this as constructive criticism, which is the manner in which it's intended.  Thank you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'll spare the details, but you can circumvent this pretty easily with pkgutil. If you do, back up your OS, etc... 

But now that the Release Candidate for macOS 15 is out, I'd like to hear at ETA of when the OS version will be supported. We can expect it to launch before or on September 20th.

I also wish the error message correctly reflected that you're using an OS version newer than what's supported. The generic message that implies an older OS and suggests an older version is a misleading one.

• Like 2

In case you have forgotten or not yet read what Thomas had to say about the same subject last year:

"I can't speak for the Malwarebytes beta itself, but the core engine will not be considered compatible until it has been thoroughly tested on at least later betas of Sonoma...."

• Administrators

Hi, I’m Michael and I lead our product team. We're actively working on a build that supports Sequoia and we'll have more to share on this very soon. Right now it mostly works minus some setup / permission instructions that need to change due to OS setting / permission changes.

Hang tight for a few more days and we'll be back soon!

Edited by msherwood
  • Like 3

I, too, will look forward to that. I have been beta testing MacOS 15 Sequoia. Yesterday, 9/11, Malwarebytes suggested I delete and reinstall, which I tried to do. The thing is, I have been given access to and downloaded and installed the GM version of MacOS 15 Sequoia, though it won't be widely available until next Monday, 9/16. I have used the uninstall/install tool and now have no protection or vpn whatsoever -  I feel bare! This is just to let you engineer types the final MacOS version is now out there and being shared early. It ha been the least buggy MacOS in a long time, in my experience, and Malwarebytes is the first software that refuses to work with the OS. I do get it - hacker-mania is a constant threat, a moving target. 🫠 I am going out of country soon...I should have taken that into consideration when doing beta. Any ideas on temporary free malware and vpn protection until the Malwarebytes fix comes out?

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 10.00.15 AM.jpg

@msherwood As much as your message is appreciated, the timing for -that- message was more than a month ago.  

The message coming from MalwareBytes -after- the GM of Sequoia is already in the wild to millions of developers and public beta participants should be "Here's beta xx.xx of MalwareBytes that finally allows installation on Sequoia.  Please let us know what issues you may discover as we finalize things, and understand it may not yet be complete."

Even if the goal was to not have to chase a moving target and exercise an abundance of caution, the -perception- (which is not always reality) is that MalwareBytes is not prepared for a new OS release that has been in the hands of developers since WWDC.  It's not a good look, especially from a company that is so well regarded universally.

I highly recommend that the company as a whole take a different tact for whatever Apple's next OS release is.  It reflects very poorly on the reputation of your company to appear somewhat unprepared this late in the development cycle.  It would be fine to not have a -final- version ready, but you supplied no beta versions at all since WWDC.

None of this is meant to insult.  I respect this company, and all my tech consulting clients have your software installed on their Windows and Mac devices.  I will continue to recommend and install MalwareBytes to them all, especially my Windows clients where MalwareBytes has intrinsically more value than it does to my Mac clients.  But still, as a Mac owner myself, I agree with @Redhawk72 that my Mac feels "naked" without an officially released version of MalwareBytes (even if beta) installed on Sequoia.  Thanks.

@msherwood  Separately, I should note that I joined this forum on August 14th to monitor any available beta releases for Sequoia and requested a beta key via PM (per instructions on another thread) to unlock available releases.

Though I understand none would have worked with Sequoia, I have not received a response to my key request via PM.  The lack of a key, plus a beta to test, is frustrating.

1 hour ago, MRyan69 said:

@msherwood As much as your message is appreciated, the timing for -that- message was more than a month ago.  

The message coming from MalwareBytes -after- the GM of Sequoia is already in the wild to millions of developers and public beta participants should be "Here's beta xx.xx of MalwareBytes that finally allows installation on Sequoia.  Please let us know what issues you may discover as we finalize things, and understand it may not yet be complete."

Even if the goal was to not have to chase a moving target and exercise an abundance of caution, the -perception- (which is not always reality) is that MalwareBytes is not prepared for a new OS release that has been in the hands of developers since WWDC.  It's not a good look, especially from a company that is so well regarded universally.

I highly recommend that the company as a whole take a different tact for whatever Apple's next OS release is.  It reflects very poorly on the reputation of your company to appear somewhat unprepared this late in the development cycle.  It would be fine to not have a -final- version ready, but you supplied no beta versions at all since WWDC.

None of this is meant to insult.  I respect this company, and all my tech consulting clients have your software installed on their Windows and Mac devices.  I will continue to recommend and install MalwareBytes to them all, especially my Windows clients where MalwareBytes has intrinsically more value than it does to my Mac clients.  But still, as a Mac owner myself, I agree with @Redhawk72 that my Mac feels "naked" without an officially released version of MalwareBytes (even if beta) installed on Sequoia.  Thanks.

Well said. I have too been waiting for a while now, and downgrading to macOS 14 and then upgrade is not an option.

7 hours ago, Redhawk72 said:

I have been given access to and downloaded and installed the GM version of MacOS 15 Sequoia, though it won't be widely available until next Monday, 9/16.

A small correction. According to Apple's release page, the current Sequoia is a "Release Candidate" which may or not be the GM, based on past history. Any change could still impact current developer versions.

1 hour ago, alvarnell said:

A small correction. According to Apple's release page, the current Sequoia is a "Release Candidate" which may or not be the GM, based on past history.

You are 100% correct...there -can- be a distinction between GM and RC.  But according to this Apple Wiki, Apple phased out "GM" with iOS 14.1.

https://theapplewiki.com/wiki/Release_Candidate

So in Apple's official parlance, there is no distinction.  They announced to the entire world 4 days ago that 4 days from now (Monday the 16th) is release day.

Like it or not, the train is rolling down the tracks.  There's no stopping it, so hopefully MalwareBytes will be ready to jump onboard as quickly as possible.  😉

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disabled hyperlinks

Technically you might be right. However, my Mac says I have MacOS Sequoia 15 and not any version of a beta anymore. The reason I am not concerned about GM or RC is that I do not expect any updates until Sequoia 18.1, whenever that might be. My concern here is to get a version of Malwarebytes that will install on my computer so that I can be protected again. 

Glad to see it. The install and running an initial scan all went smoothly.

I do want to thank you for communicating with us. I think there's a common sentiment that earlier messaging would have been better. It might be useful to provide a pinned thread about the future macOS releases with updates as they can be provided.

Really happy to see the 5.5.4 beta come out before the Sequoia release.

• Like 1