Summer 2024

NewTricks

13 minutes ago, NewTricks said:

The thrill of coming across a huge antler topped buck at NIGHT, WOOOOO

That night I saw no less than 36 does and 6 bucks (one being "that" one)

Along with two 2 Red Fox,  I remember I saw some other mammals besides Rabbits but I can't remember what.  Skunk- maybe...

I remember once walking along a ridge above Longsleddale* in cloud with the visibility down to about 25 yards.

I came round a crag and face to face with a 'Monarch of the Glen' Red Deer stag with a full rack and 2 hinds - no more than 10 yards away.

We both froze and stared at each other for a second, I'm not sure who was the most surprised.
I didn't even have time to worry if he might charge before they disappeared over the side of the ridge.
I didn't have a camera with me, even if I had I wouldn't have had time to raise it, but I still have the memory.

*This was back in the 1970's, I was a teenager and was at 'sleddle most weekends helping restore/convert some old farm barns into an Outdor Pursuits Center, which is still functioning today although I haven't been there for years.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

We both froze and stared at each other for a second

A little snippet in time seared into memory.

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

I was a teenager and was at 'sleddle most weekends helping restore/convert some old farm barns

That sounds like fun. How about going back for a trip down memory lane? (if it's not too far)

it is a bit difficult to get to at the end of a seven mile long single track road that goes up the valley and nowhere else.
Once you get to the last farm about a mile or so past the OPC it becomes a track that you would't take a vehicle up except maybe a farmers quad bike.

I did go back in around 97/ 98 just to see how it had changed, and it was much the same as when we finished it.
There were some teenagers digging up the 50 yard trench that we had laboriously dug by hand one weekend to get an electricity cable out the the toilet shed* so we could have lights in there instead of using torches.
They were putting new cabling in for electric showers. (Pansys. We used to wash in the stream, very refreshing in the morning especially in winter when you had to break the ice).

*We had to use the existing old farm buildings. The Lake District planning rules there mean that no (or very few) new buildings are allowed, and we couldn't substantially change what was there other than repairing it.
We even had to leave the old doors on the main barn and install a new timber wall with windows and a new door that was/is hidden behind them when they are closed.

15 hours ago, nukecad said:

We used to wash in the stream, very refreshing in the morning especially in winter when you had to break the ice

"Refreshing" to a teen. 😆 Oh boy. Probably literally,  since I doubt girls would feel the same. That illustrates the difference between ages and mindsets perfectly.

15 hours ago, nukecad said:

The Lake District planning rules there mean that no (or very few) new buildings are allowed

As a regulation, I'm all for it.

This story reminds me of a commune. In my early 20's, I lived in a sparsely populated rural area. Some University students had squatted on nearby land , with a creek. I made a friend there, Nancy, who was the daughter of some bigwig in town. They had gardens, constructed a sleeping area and lived a "back to the land" lifestyle. One half mile away, I lived in a renovated schoolhouse, complete with electricity, running water and 4 cats. 

I drove by last year, slowly, since the town doesn't maintain the road. A "pothole" lattice.  A conventional structure replaced that makeshift one, and I could see ghosts of hippies past wandering around. I'd briefly considered joining them. All I did back then was dye my hair bright orange. 🙂 I always wanted red hair, but missed the mark.

A 1990's XJ-S convertible/cabriolet, but someone has stolen the cat from the bonnet.

Now to tempt you -

I believe that you may be able to buy that very one, if you have $27,500 to spare.
The dealers are in New Jersey, and it's in their current inventory (complete with a cat on the front).
https://stableltd.com/listing/1994-jaguar-xjs-convertible/

They also have a red one if you prefer, with a spoiler fitted at the back, and for slightly less money too.
https://stableltd.com/listing/1995-jaguar-xjs-convertible-2/

image.jpeg.86268e5ba9abafcdb9f7796cc4d7c729.jpeg

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've begun a late afternoon routine at the Y. The upper floor is all glass windows, so everyone could see the foreboding gray skies. At 4:47, everyone was directed to go downstairs to an interior room for a tornado warning. About 100 people filed into a locker room, where we waited 25 minutes.

The good news is: within 4 minutes, the tornado warning changed to a severe thunderstorm warning. Whew! just a brief moment of 🫣

MondayWeather.jpg

9 hours ago, NewTricks said:

I've begun a late afternoon routine at the Y. The upper floor is all glass windows,

Be careful on the treadmills then:
https://nypost.com/2024/06/24/world-news/fitness-fanatic-falls-off-treadmill-before-plummeting-to-her-death-out-of-third-story-window/

Edited by nukecad
  • Sad 1

Our treadmills FACE the windows. My machine is in the middle of the room, the only relic that is not connected to the eGYM system. But the leg press I use is right next to the window. What's most interesting is other people and their workouts. I misunderstood the process of changing gyms,  but in August I can go to a facility that used to be a free standing BlockBuster store! Now that's RETRO.

There's a large percentage of older people that are in surprisingly good shape. My ultimate goal. If they can do it, I can do it!

Flowers and foliage. Three coleus, and on the right, "droopy loopy" blossom strings. Even though it's only July 17th, but feels like autumn is creeping in.

On a positive note: perhaps I'm gaining more than I thought at the gym. My strategy is 3 sets of varying weights, and reps. I'm exceeding yesterday's efforts. The scale says so too. 🦵🦵

Midsummercoleusplus.jpg

• Like 1

At first look I thought that was a black beetle in the middle rather than a gap, amazing how the brains pattern recognition works.

Autumn? We haven't had a Summer here yet.
It's fully clouded over today - again.

Don't overdo it at the gym.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

We haven't had a Summer here yet.

What have you had?

Yes, the little black "negative space" was a bonus. After all my posts about snails, bugs and bees, it's not surprising you'd look for a beetle. 😊

8 hours ago, NewTricks said:

What have you had?

Mainly overcast low cloud, rain, and cooler than usual here.

All to do with the position of the Jet Stream, it's further south this year than usual.
Which means cooler, wetter, air is blowing over us in the North of England.

If you want technical then here's what the Met Office had to say about it on 16th July:
https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2024/07/16/whats-happened-to-summer-so-far/

Edited by nukecad

@nukecad the Met office certainly packs a punch with their deep dives. Interesting and  informative with a touch of history. The UK shows off a bit. No problem though. It's better than our bland, generic weather forecasts here, which can leave people yawning. 

By the way we did have a tornado on Monday afternoon, and the damage has been extensive. The governor issued a state of emergency.  Many trees along the lake shore, over 100 years old were uprooted. Businesses nearby along the main commercial strip were without power for 4 days. Our idyllic little town will never be the same.  😢

Massive efforts to restore were underway with utility trucks and crews working to replace and restring lines on poles, one right after another. Most were broken at the point near the highest wire, snapped clean at a 90 degree angle. 

As a result, my PT appointment was cancelled today. No problem, the gym awaits. I did take a break yesterday. I've been known to "overdo."

• Like 1