Calculator opens multiple times & files/folders delete on left-click

Go to solution Solved by JBS-PC,

Can't seem to rid a Dell PC of a pernicious nuisance.   

• Dell XPS 8950
  • Windows 11 Home, Version 23H2, OS Build 22631.3737

Whenever a file or folder is left-clicked, it is deleted.  Behaviour mimics a stuck delete key.  Ctrl-Alt is sufficient to launch Ctrl-Alt-Del.  In addition to this behaviour, MS calculator keeps launching multiple instances.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Day 1: Swapped out mouse and keyboard and deleted/reinstalled mouse and keyboard drivers. Ran sfc /scannow.
Day 2: Ran MacAfee scan. Ran Windows Repair.
Day 3: Downloaded and installed all Windows updates and ran DellSupportAssist diagnostics tool.  Disabled all non-Microsoft services and startup apps. (this appeared to do work, but behaviour returned after about 15 mins).
Day 4: Ran full Windows recovery (once retaining files and again without, this time from cloud).
Day 5: Installed Malwarebytes and scanned (included rootkit) but still found nothing.

Frankly, I'm a bit stumped.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers
Steve

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Please rename FRST.EXE or FRST64.EXE to FRSTEnglish.exe image.png.08b987105a3f991c3bd3c5b02d550ebc.png

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just a wee bit of additional info about the behaviour of this thing.  I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to open the FRST.txt and Addition.txt files as clicking on them would delete them, so was relieved when they opened up in notepad automatically.  Unfortunately. as soon as I clicked in the file to position the cursor for copying the contents, the text started disappearing character by character, row by row as you would expect to see if you just held down the delete key.  Fortunately, I was able to exit without saving changes, so was able to click-and-drag the unaltered files to a USB drive and have been able to open them on a spare laptop.  As far as I can tell, the USB drive hasn't infected the spare laptop.  
-----------------------------------------

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed copy pasted log info

1 minute ago, JBS-PC said:

I presume I should configure new user as an administrator?

Might as well.

If the issue does not happen in the new LOCAL account, then the issue is something being retained in the user's MS account.

• Like 1

So I created a new local account (forgot to configure as an admin) ,switched to the account and all looked well; I was able to create files and folders normally.

Restarted Windows, logged in to the new local account and immediately, the problem was back again.

Tried the regsrvr command and restarted but problem persists.

I also tried running the following DISM commands, but nothing found:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Another restart, but problem persists.

Tried that, no change.
Also tried swapping out wired mouse for Dell and then Logitech wireless mice, but also no change.

Think I'm just going to have to resort to restoring the factory-installed OS from a fresh recovery USB