Last Thursday, on May 9th 2024, I boot my laptop and I see it has 1.6GB of HDD (C: drive) remaining. I freak out, but then I remember it must be because of iCloud I have installed. I uninstalled it and I recovered around 20GB of memory on my C: drive. However, I really can't remember doing a specific task on my D: drive as 90% of my files suddenly disappeared! I saw a particular folder that I didn't recall having in there which was under the name of WindowsApp, but I couldn't even access it and something with the administrator rights would impede me to access it. It's as if my laptop forgot I am the main user who has full control! Luckily, I was able to restore my D: drive thanks to the ''previous version'', but I only recovered like 70-80% of my folders, which is incredibly bizarre and frustrating as it's something very unpredictable. I fear my laptop is currently infected and/or my security/privacy is in jeopardy. I couldn't restore my laptop to a previous point as I didn't have any. What can I do to prevent this from happening every again and why did this happen? Is there a way to recover my missing files?

9 minutes ago, 007nice1 said:

I saw a particular folder that I didn't recall having in there which was under the name of WindowsApp, but I couldn't even access it and something with the administrator rights would impede me to access it.

That is a standard protected Windows folder.

Let's get the info to get the process started. Be aware it will take many steps and scans to fully remove malware.

Please respond to all future instructions from your helper in a timely manner.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system for any possible infections.

Do these 2 steps FIRST so that files and folders are set to SHOW, plus also, Turn OFF Windows Fast Start.
Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299345-show-hidden-folders-files-extensions/

Disable-Fast-Startup
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

Then please restart the computer and then do the following.

WARNING: Do Not click the Repair option under Advanced unless requested by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool. The tool also downloads and runs a file called FRSTEnglish. Please allow it to run.
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine 
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Desktop or on the hidden Public desktop (usually C:\Users\Public\Desktop), please upload that file on your next reply
  • Then be patient for the next expert to take your case.

Thank you

• image.png.79d4442a821713608fa60808a98c2e69.png
  • image.png.98d86a6c3017d2bbba48877ea4f6ba45.png

Edited March 14 by Porthos

Welcome smile.png

I'll be helping you with your computer.

Please read this post completely before beginning. If there's anything that you do not understand, please don't hesitate to ask before proceeding.

Please take note of the guidelines for this fix:

• Please note that I am a volunteer. I do have a family, a career, and other endeavors that may prevent immediate responses that meet your schedule. Do note that the differences in time zones could present a problem as well. Your patience and understanding will be greatly appreciated.
  • First of all, the procedures we are about to perform are specific to your problem and should only be used on this specific computer.
  • Do not make any changes to your computer that include installing/uninstalling programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, nor running scanners or tools of any kind unless specifically requested by me.
  • Please read ALL instructions carefully and perform the steps fully and in the order they are written.
  • If things appear to be better, let me know. Just because the symptoms no longer exist as before, does not mean that you are clean.
  • Continue to read and follow my instructions until I tell you that your machine is clean.
  • If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask before performing the task that I ask of you, and please wait for my reply before you proceed.
  • Scanning with programs and reading the logs do take a fair amount of time. Again, your patience will be necessary. smile.png

Let's begin... 

This Fix will empty the following folders:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

FRST64 was saved as C:\Users\luigi\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe

• Download the enclosed file  Fixlist.txt
  • Save it in the same location FRST64.exe is saved. (C:\Users\luigi\Downloads)
  • Start FRST (FRST64) with Administrator privileges (FRSTEnglish.exe)
  • This time around Press the Fix button and wait
  • When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.

Please attach this file in your next reply.

Dr.Web CureIt!

Please download the Dr.Web CureIt! anti-virus utility
https://free.drweb.com/

You will need to send them an email to obtain a link to download the scanner, please do so

• The downloaded file will normally have a unique name such as:  q7a9tr4p.exe
  • Close all open applications and locate the downloaded file and double-click to run it
  • The program will take a moment to launch and bring up the License and Update screen
  • Place a check mark to agree to the terms and then click on the Continue button
  • Click the underlined link Select objects for scanning
  • On the top left click the Scanning objects that should automatically check all objects
  • Click the small wrench and make sure there is a check on Automatically apply actions to threats
  • Then click the large button on bottom right Start scanning
  • Once the scan has completed there will be a link named Open report click that and a log named cureit.log should open in Notepad
  • The log is saved in the folder named Doctor Web in the top of your user profile folders
  • Please attach that log on your next reply

Well, I haven't been able to restore 20-30% of my lost files. I haven't been experiencing the issues since last time it happened, but I don't know if it'll happen again soon.

I also can't receive notifications on my Windows 10 (WhatsApp, Outlook). Also, another strange issue I have is when I click on Internet Access > Network & Internet Settings, it crashes immediately. I can't access my wifi option, unless I click on Properties of my Wifi name and then click on back. It's very bizarre. I also get error 0xc0000225 whenever I try to "repair" Windows, but I am able to boot perfectly well. Those issues I've mentioned make me think that my laptop is not functioning well and those need to be fixed as it's frustrating to know that some basic tasks aren't behaving properly. 

Mind you I've looked up online and have tried many different things, such as chkdsk (x: drive), resetting network settings (netsh...etc.), restore to a previous point, tried some commands on cmd, but nothing seems to fix those problems. Any help and idea to what's going on?

• When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.

Please attach this file in your next reply. A logs should appear as CHKDSK_SCAN.txt on your desktop, also attach it to your reply.

This may help:

To check your notification settings on Windows 10, follow these steps:

Click the Start button (usually located in the bottom-left corner of your screen).

• Select Settings.
  • Go to System and then click on Notifications & actions.
  • In the Notifications & actions section, you can:
  • Turn notifications, banners, and sounds on or off for specific apps or all notification senders.
  • Expand the notifications area to see all available options.
  • Enable or disable tips and suggestions about Windows.

Very bizarre. Once again, when I clicked on Focus assist settings, it crashed and I had to reopen settings to back. Seems like it's not only the wifi settings that crash. I shouldn't have turn which programs? If you're referring to the things I've mentioned I've tried before, I haven't done that today at all, just things I've done in the past to try to solve the problems I have. Currently waiting for the FRST fix log to finish. Will send soon.

Lets do this again:

Open a Command prompt as an Administrator. At the prompt type the following and press Enter:

CHKDSK /F

Schedule a CHKDSK run at startup and Restart your computer.

CHKDSK will run at startup. Let it run unhindered. After a restart, run the following fix:

A log should appear as CHKDSK_SCAN.txt on your desktop, Attach it to your reply.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

This Fix will empty the following folders:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

Please attach this file in your next reply.

Okay. As I've mentioned previously, there some details that make the overall experience somewhat incomplete, such as not being able to receive notifications on my desktop from Youtube, WhatsApp, Facebook and more. It also seems that WhatsApp on my Windows is not working in the background, therefore it always needs to opened manually so it can refresh to load its content. For the Network settings, whenever I click on it, it always crashes so I can never access to my Wifi settings. Instead, I have to bypass it by going on control panel. It also crashes when I click on Focus assist settings. I also get the error 0xc0000225 whenever I try to "repair" Windows, but I am able to boot perfectly well. Finally, for the main problem I've made this tread is due to have unexpected and unpredictable behavior from my D drive as I've lost 70-80% of a specific folder, but I was able to recover by going to a previous point in its properties.