Do I have the latest version and data base for the free malewarebytes?

• Root Admin

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

You have something wrong. Please review the FAQ: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138

If that does not help then please follow the directions below.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Are you trying to update on a limited or a non-administrator account?

That could be your problem.

Also, have you had any recent malware or virus infections?

Ohh, okay. Have you actually updated thru the limited account before? Just to make sure that I am understanding you correctly.

I've run into it not updating before, with no error codes or anything, because of that, on a Vista that I keep tabs on. I had to "run as administrator" and then it updated just fine.

Are you on Windows 2000, XP or Vista? or 7?

Seems like you are most likely in the clear then as far as infections go :) yay!

I'll wait for your reply to my last post for this one, and see if I can help you.

edit: Sorry to hijack the thread prairie dog, just trying to help. I hope you don't mind.

Okay, so when you open up Malwarebytes, before you do so, right-click on the program and choose "run as administrator". A box should pop up prompting you to type in the password. Then after you type in the password, you should be able to update normally :) This is what I did at least, and it worked.

Are you the only user of this computer or?

well I went ahead and uninstalled the malwarebytes program and then reinstalled. So now I have data base version 3196

Going forward I will try the method of updating running as admin

I have 2 accounts on the computer

admin account

limited user account

almost always on as limited user account for safety reasons

thanks for your help

I do have some concerns about how I downloaded the current malwarebytes program, which I put in another post. If any of you can review that and comment, I'd appreciate it

thanks again

Okay, glad that that has seemed to work out for you :) Sure, I'll go take a look at the post and see if I might be able to help.

As for the limited account and updating, as far as I know, sometimes it will work, and sometimes not (this includes other programs too, not just MBAM). For example, I wasn't able to update Firefox on a limited account for some reason... weird.

and you are quite welcome! Glad I could be of some help :)

You're very welcome! Sounds like you've got it all figured out now. I had a feeling it had to be run as admin when on a limited account. But at least you can run as admin (and therefore update Mbam) while on the limited account (at least on Vista). :)

Now when I'm logged on under the limited user account, which is nearly 100% of the time, I now know I need to run malwarebytes updates as administrator.

But to run a quick or full scan ( using the free version of malwarebytes) do I need to do that as admin, or is it "set" to accept running a scan even without admin rights?