Spring 2024

NewTricks

15 hours ago, NewTricks said:

Sigh, that is a poor way to make changes of any kind. Upfront, transparent and authentic gets my vote. I'm sorry you are caught in the middle, so to speak.

In the middle, but firmly on the side of the users.

It's all gone a bit weird at the moment, we can see company staff and even senior staff frequently logging onto the forum to read the posts/reaction about it - but nobody from the company is saying anything, either in public or to us moderators in the private rooms

As you can imagine that's just annoying us all, users and mods, even more.

There was briefly an oddly worded announcement banner on the forum, but it got taken down again after about only 10 minutes.

Personally I'm giving them some benefit of the doubt and think the change was slated for a future version update but it's leaked early due to some cack-handed testing; so they weren't ready to say anything about it and have been told to keep shtum while they work out some damage limitation strategy.
The issue with that though is that it still appears to be being tested, or possibly it is indeed now being pushed out delibrately but slowly to a limited number at a time and with no notification or warning.
Each day we seem to be seeing a new crop of affected users.

The first registry hack to remove the paywall has now been posted by a user, I don't expect that to work for long though.

For the moment I've decided that even though the staff aren't talking to us mods in the private room I'll stay 'inside the tent' where I can p in any direction I choose.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

Staying inside the tent is a perfect strategy. Altough management is not the enemy, it probsbly falls into that adage about "keeping your enemies closer(than your friends)"

I've always wondered about tech decisions that "leak", are "pushed" or generally mishandled in ways which disrespect users, whether paying or not.  That 10 minute disappearing banner is a good example.  

I'm old school when it comes to, what is now called, customer service. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Zoom and all other applications have their own settings for audio and video

All their permissions are on the address bar with an options symbol. Both Meet & Zoom virtually identical. 

Zoom "helps" the user a bit more by showing a pop up  that directs to appropriate help. Yesterday's screenshot.

0605241056~2.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
replaced attachment

1 hour ago, NewTricks said:

That 10 minute disappearing banner is a good example. 

For what it's worth the disappearing announcement was subsequently posted in the existing 'user support requests' thread in the private staff room where only mods and admins can now see it. We don't publicly share posts made in that room.
However before it got taken down a user had captured and then reposted it's corporate marketing babble for all to see:

CCleaner has been available as a free download since its launch in 2004 and has become one of the top choices for comprehensive PC optimization. As part of our pursuit to maintain product quality and innovation, we're exploring new avenues to sustainably support our development efforts. This includes potential changes to certain features, such as Custom Clean. By regularly reviewing the CCleaner feature set we can ensure the continued evolution of CCleaner and bring even greater value to our customers.

Translation to plain English - "We will do what we want, it's our product and our decision".

It's noticable that not one of the CCleaner staff has logged onto the forum this morning, they're probably having a damage limitation/strategy meeting.

Edited by nukecad

"we are exploring new avenue$ to $us$tainably $upport our development effort$"

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

It's noticable that not one of the CCleaner staff has logged onto the forum this morning, they're probably having a damage limitation/strategy meeting.

Agree. I wonder if they have the soundtrack to Twist and Shout on - Shake it up,  baby. 

I've always loved this ToonBarn composite and see it as the phases of learning & discovery. 

In recent days, this might apply to Stack Social deeply discounted Office products and the unexpected conflict between Libre Office and MS 365.

In the end, it's all good.

Source: PinkPantherTurns45  Created in 1964, this feline has been with me as a toy or on a screen nearly all my life.

Pink Panther.jpg

• Like 1

I'm grateful to live in a county which allows people 60 years and older to use resources at the community college without cost.

It's been six delightful, accommodating years of auditing courses and having fun. Central to the college function is the IT department, with labs scattered all over the campus.

My support person IRL is as happy inside as outside. Moving up the ranks, he's now 2nd in command. Personable, helpful & the source of great tips, he's streamlined my log in by correcting a glitchy MS issue. They still run Win10. Staff keeps an eye out and rescues forgotten USB drives. 🙏 The answer to my prayers, more than once! I implemented a new strategy on the last recovery; a dedicated lime green purse 4 inches by 6 inches!

There's is a new shortcut for when the room printer is not showing in the device list. I no longer need to kept little "add a printer" notes on my phone.

"Free paper, free ink" all for the price of gas. A great trade.

HEAVEN

Salvation.jpg

• Like 1

My new best friend! In a 3 mile radius, this is the ONLY air machine that works. This comes attached to a "new" 6 month old store.  Simple, accurate and best price around. 😍

In my quest, I've learned that $2.00=3 minutes and $2.50= 3 minutes. Like the price of bread, I wonder how high this is going to go in the next 5 or 10 years. 🤔

Just curious, what's the cost of gas in different pars of the USA and world? Unleaded in northeast is $3.69 a gallon.

Byrne Dairy.jpg

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

Have you considered getting your own 12v inflator and keeping it in the car?

Yes, I've looked at some, but wanted to know if they really worked before I took the plunge.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

surprisingly it did work.

Now, I'll plan on a fall purchase. Winter is the pits.

I just so happens I used my Husky AC/DC digital inflator [HD12120] this afternoon.

Image.jpg.8bbf5ed0bb648733d3385959aa7f875b.jpg

I dropped the air pressure on my Mountain Bike tires to ride some gnarly trails.

When done, I set the unit to 52 psi and refilled my tires for street riding using the 12vdc outlet in my car.

When I had to change the rear inner tube recently (faulty tube valve caused leakage ), I used AC to slightly increase the pressure of the new inner tube so that it was easier to install within the tire.

My Husky HD12120 is an older unit and may no longer be available OTC but a newer version is available and is quite affordable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-Volt-120-Volt-Home-and-Auto-Inflator-HD12120/302752823

Image.jpg.b5803c12039908bd7bec5bbb26964f4b.jpg

NOTE:  When using the automobile's 12v DC for a tire inflator, it is best practice to inflate while the engine is running.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

It won't hold charge for a 3 minute tire inflation, David?

Not if it is a low battery.  So just to avoid an issue starting the engine ( which draws a lot of current ) running the engine while using the inflator will avoid an engine starting issue.

1 hour ago, David H. Lipman said:

So just to avoid an issue starting the engine ( which draws a lot of current ) running the engine while using the inflator will avoid an engine starting issue.

Great idea and in my price range.

• Root Admin
8 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Not if it is a low battery.  So just to avoid an issue starting the engine ( which draws a lot of current ) running the engine while using the inflator will avoid an engine starting issue.

Wow, that sure does not look that powerful to be able to drain a good battery under any conditions. I suppose looks can be deceiving though

• Haha 1