UI sizing

Thanks.  It turns out that's the same as Scaling - mine shows 150%, but does have more options - I could increase it to 200%, which would no doubt cause problems with more software :)  I'm used to 150% though, after using it for several years.

"

5. To Select a DPI Size -

a) Dot a size that you want for the Display DPI size. (See the screenshot above.)

•Smaller - 100% = 96 DPI (Pixels/Dots Per Inch)

•Medium - 125% = 120 DPI (Pixels/Dots Per Inch)

•Larger - 150% = 144 DPI (Pixels/Dots Per Inch)

"

It's a shame they force us to log out, to apply the change.  It makes it a lot less useful since Windows has no concept of picking up where it left off.  It's only a little bit better than having to reboot.

Another possibility would be to use be to adjust the compatibility for the the MB app, though whether that would be for

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\Malwarebytes.exe

or

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAM.exe

or both, as in this tutorial:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

I suspect that this is where @ChuckOP was also headed based upon his request.

Edited by John L. Galt

• 1 month later...

Just to update this, I had previously tried the Properties->Compatibility settings, for MalwareBytes and other things that don't cope with 720p and 150% scaling, but I never found any settings that helped.  That's still the case, so I gave up and bought a 1080p monitor.

I also gave up leaving MalwareBytes running, because the scans were grinding my PC to a halt and I couldn't find a way to stop them happening automatically.  Newer is not always better, but that's another topic.

2 minutes ago, Andy2No2 said:

because the scans were grinding my PC to a halt and I couldn't find a way to stop them happening automatically.

Did you turn this setting on?

Are you running full scans instead of the recommended threat scans?

image.thumb.png.6ab637bbc3e734da669f043024239686.png

@Porthos I had it set to prioritize system, yes.  It didn't seem to help.  Once it started scanning, it was difficult to make any use of my PC, which as a Core i7.  Where is the setting for full vs threat scans?

I can't even find the Scheduler tab you're showing, in this version.  The new UI is unintuitive and quite poor, IMO.

I see.  Thanks for that. 

So, I have to press the button I expect to start a scan (which it does, immediately) to be able to get to the relevant Scanner settings, even though there's a three dots menu with Settings, right next to the Scan button.  That makes no sense at all.  As I said, it's unintuitive.  In fact, that's just plain wrong.  The old UI was much better and I didn't need to ask anyone how to use it.

Someone should revisit this part of the UI.  It's ridiculous.

Edited by Andy2No2

If the new UI made sense, there would be no need to refer to the help section for such a basic feature.  Bear in mind, I used MBAM for well over a decade.  The UI should make perfect sense to me, and I should have no trouble finding things in it.

Edited by Andy2No2

• Staff
15 hours ago, Andy2No2 said:

I see.  Thanks for that. 

So, I have to press the button I expect to start a scan (which it does, immediately) to be able to get to the relevant Scanner settings, even though there's a three dots menu with Settings, right next to the Scan button.  That makes no sense at all.  As I said, it's unintuitive.  In fact, that's just plain wrong.  The old UI was much better and I didn't need to ask anyone how to use it.

Someone should revisit this part of the UI.  It's ridiculous.

There is a large "Settings" button to the left.  You do not have to hit the three-dot menu.  The three-dot menu is there to provide context-appropriate shortcuts. 

The user interface provides multiple paths - explore a little and see what works best for you.

For example, to adjust scan settings you can:

1. Click Settings
  2. Scan and detections

Or

1. Click the three-dot menu, and click Settings

Same for Advanced scans:

1. Click anywhere in the Scan card to bring up the scanner detail page
  2. Click Advanced scans

Or

1. Click the three-dot menu and choose Advanced Scan

Posted (edited)

@Andy2No2  Your issue of the system being bogged down on scans is unusual.  There may be something not so obvious that is causing your problem.  I suggest you download and run their Support Tool, follow the instructions to gather the logs, and attach them to this post (or start another).  The MBAM Gurus can analyze the data for possible issues and advise. 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed link to tool

• Root Admin

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

On 7/17/2024 at 7:49 PM, f14tomcat said:

@Andy2No2  Your issue of the system being bogged down on scans is unusual.  There may be something not so obvious that is causing your problem.

I can't know for certain, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that this PC has Windows 7, and most of the focus is on supporting Win 10 or later.  I do own a PC with Win 10, and a second license, but 10 still irritates me so much that i rarely use it.  I got it so I could use software that won't run on Win 7, but I rarely feel the need.  That PC is currently turned off, and has the ethernet cable removed, after having Copilot forced on it without being asked, which I struggled to remove again.

On 7/17/2024 at 8:45 PM, AdvancedSetup said:
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks for the offer of help. but I'm not comfortable uploading logs of a scan of the contents of my PC.

I never really felt the need for daily scans and I cant actually remember Malwarebytes finding something that wasn't a false positive, so I'm fine with just doing manual scans, usually just of software I download, immediately after downloading it.  I don't mind the time taken to do a scan when I initiated it myself.  Being able to turn off automatic scans resolves it well enough, for me.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 7:09 PM, ChuckOp said:

There is a large "Settings" button to the left.  You do not have to hit the three-dot menu.  The three-dot menu is there to provide context-appropriate shortcuts. 

The user interface provides multiple paths - explore a little and see what works best for you.

For example, to adjust scan settings you can:

1. Click Settings
  2. Scan and detections

Or

1. Click the three-dot menu, and click Settings

Same for Advanced scans:

1. Click anywhere in the Scan card to bring up the scanner detail page
  2. Click Advanced scans

Or

1. Click the three-dot menu and choose Advanced Scan

As far as I can see, these methods do not provide a route to the scan scheduler, which is what I was looking for.

I now see that I can click on the word Scanner, from the dashboard, rather than having to click on Scan, but it's not clear that that's an option, from the way the UI is designed. Being able to do it once you know how is all very well, but it's not intuitive.  It's not at all intuitive that I'm looking for a setting but it's not in the Settings menu either.