Macosx-update.com pop up notifications

Just today, Feb-10-2024 I visited a site for weather data (url not noted).  Shortly after that I started getting this pop-up (see image) in the notifications (upper right corner of screen).  I did not download any software, data sets or images.   Any solutions?

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 7.14.28 PM.png

• Staff

You somehow landed on the macosx-update[dot]com website and were tricked into giving notification permissions to that site. Removing those notification permissions, as Al mentioned, is the solution. You may also wish to consider unchecking the box titled "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications" in the same preferences panel Al referred you to, to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Note that your computer is not, in fact, infected. The notification from that website is attempting to scare you into downloading something you shouldn't download.

• Like 3