Connectivity Issues

hyebba

Sorry to stick my head in but I've never seen someone try to ping 'dns' and it work before. So I tried it and it didn't work. I also tried pinging the IP that it resolved to (207.69.131.10) and it also returned as timed out. What you might want to do is do a ipconfig /all in cmd prompt and find the DNS IP from the info displayed and ping that to see what it gives. More often then not, it's your router's IP address or your ISP's address.

Regards,

Keith

Strangdays: not a problem at all my friend!

Swagger: thanks for the heads up on that. I'm getting to learn so much from all of you, so I appreciate all the input I get. I spent a bit over a week in the Infectious Disease ward of this wonderful PC virtual hospital before I was able to have a regular room here in PC Help - so I've been going crazy with not being able to get online productively (my job is through the computer). So please, feel free to interject any input you have. Exile360 has been just awesome! (as have all of you here)

Since my last post I was feeling spunky and messed with my network connection settings. (it seems they are not set up at all, if that is possible)

Instead of 'automatically obtain DNS', I entered in the OpenDNS IP addresses and while I've only been 'test surfing' for a few minutes, I swear I have never been on a computer this fast. Still have some more testing to do to be sure, but I'll be dipped.....it seems to be working fantastically!! :) :) And if I ping the opendns ip addresses, everything resolves quite nicely too! :)

But I do not know enough to get everything cleaned up. When I do ipconfig, it still shows Innomedia as a DNS suffix???? So I'll still need just a bit more help if that's okay with all of you. Should I do a copy and paste of what comes up on ipconfig, or am I way off base here?

thanks again!

I was going to say, I use OpenDNS on my router and supposedly DNS is faster with it but I haven't noticed much of a difference from TWC's DNS server. Either way, it's supposed to be safer as well when it can't resolve certain hostnames.

I can't think of much else at this point... exile helped you remove the remnants of Comodo and AVG which could have caused some conflicts, you spoke with your ISP... Have you tried a different Ethernet cable as someone suggested earlier? I'm reaching right now but it's kind of difficult at this point... Have you checked Device Manager (Start Menu -> Run... type in "devmgmt.msc"... Do you see any yellow "question mark"'s or red "X"'s? Especially for network adapters?

Regards,

Keith

Hello again :)

Please disable java deployment toolkit in FireFox as it is unnecessary (although not the cause of your issues, it may speed things up once we get the real problem fixed :) ).

As for your true issue, what is the model number of your Dell? If it's not a dell PC (it appears to be due to the presence of a Dell printer driver), then what is the manufacturer and model number of your network adapter? If it's integrated into the motherboard then I just need the motherboard manufacturer and model number.

• Root Admin

This driver from Intel should work. It's very large driver as it incorporates most of the Intel cards in it.

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP* and Windows Server 2003*

This download is NOT for Microsoft Windows 2000*, Windows Vista*, Windows Server 2008*, Windows 7*, or Windows Server 2008 R2*.

Multi language: PROXP.exe Download

Ver:14.7 Date:10/23/2009 Size:14152 (KB) Time @56Kbps:32.76 min

OS:Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional*, Windows XP Starter Edition*, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition*

Hi Ron...thank you for the link to the driver. Unfortunately after installing the driver, the connection is back to being as bad as it was before. (it took me about 20 minutes to get back to the forum)

Should I roll it back?

I'm starting to have visions of reformatting :)

Hi and good morning!

I had a few questions that I am still unsure of the answers and was hoping one of you might be able to help me understand a bit better.

If you remember, I have a new hard drive (two months old) I'm wondering if something got missed during set up which is causing these problems. AND so many changes have been made to the computer since I began trying to figure out what is wrong that I wonder if I have inadvertently turned something on or off or have otherwise caused these issues.

My LAN settings and firewall settings are empty....as in nothing checked, no data showing. Does there need to be info in there to tell the computer how to connect? If so, could someone walk me through that? (the opendns ip's are in there that i entered in yesterday, but that's it.)

Could there be some services or processes that should be on or off that are contributing to the issues?

When I go to: Windows firewall > Advanced Tab > Network Connection Settings > LAN > Settings > Services

there is nothing selected here either.

When I'm having packet loss if I hit the repair button, it will force about three packets through and then stops receiving again. (don't know if that means anything at all, it was just something I noticed.)

Thanks guys! Talk to you soon.

Greetings :)

When you say "no data showing" do you mean the windows are blank, or are none of the settings checked and none of the information (like IP, DNS etc) not filled in with anything? If the latter is the case then this is quite normal and simply means that the computer is set to auto-detect settings.

Configuring your IP address manually may correct the issues you've been having, but only if your ISP recommends it, as it is generally not needed, and wouldn't appear to be since you can actually connect, but just can't stay connected.

Have you been able to test the connection with another computer yet? If so, what were the results?

hey you! Guess what?!?! We finally got it fixed!

I knew that you had exhausted most every possible cause of the issues we were having and had faith that you are quite capable and knowledgeable, so I did some more digging on the ISP end.

I pointed my browser to the scientific atlantic modem diagnostics site and saw that my transmit power level was spiking above 57 but at no time would fall below 54.7. So even though they were out here for HOURS the other day and said they were fine on their end, I drove up to their office (can't call - VOIP phone) and asked for a real cable dog to come out and check things instead of one of their independent contractors.

there was a loose screw on the tap outside. My transmit levels are now around 46 and the computer is sailing along quite nicely!

thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the help you provided me! I cannot express my gratitude to you enough...what you guys do is an awesome service to us lost souls. :) You definitely lead the way for me to get my system optimized to it's fullest. You're rock salt, Exile!

Thanks again!

thanks swagger and strangedays :)

It WAS fixed....it seemed fine for a little bit. Left to pick my daughter up from school, got home, and bammm! Back to doing the same old stuff. Extremely slow or doesn't connect.

this has been going on over two weeks now and I have been completely unable to work and am starting to panic.(single mom) I can't really afford to take it in somewhere to have it looked at. could you guys give me some advice or direction on what I should do next? I have to get this fixed and I am stuck as to where to turn.

Any help is appreciated. thanks