Chromebook Front Camera Shows Black Screen

NewTricks

Greetings everyone, 

[Anyone who gags when reading the word Chromebook is excused.]

Please offer your best guess with this quirky problem.  I am also posting this separately from another member who didn't follow up in over 2 weeks. (ID:1604593)

@pondus has been prolific with helpful links (Thank You!) however this does not fall within those "How to Use" answers.

Ten months of trouble free camera use on my Acer Chromebook Spin 512 came to an abrupt and untimely end when I attempted a "work" (not socially oriented) meeting on Google Meet 12/21/23. Restarts, updates, permission granting, extensive point by point How to Fixes written by geeks and others has failed to solve this.

This Thursday, I need to use Google Meet again. My choices appear to be a Powerwash or driving 60 miles. Both unappealing, and resulting in the similar time expenditures.

My version is up to date: 119.0.6045.214

My camera is not covered by tape, I see the green light.

I have enabled permissions in Google Meet, as well as general Privacy and Security Front Camera (04f2:b74a)

25 Restarts but who's counting?

App permissions: camera is allowed all the time in Authenticator (how did that happen?) and Settings, and Ask every time in Android Accessibility Suite & Wire Denied in a Medical App

Something is amiss with the camera permissions in settings, since no choice is allowed.

Ideas? 

Thank you.🌺

Have a safe New Year celebration tomorrow. 💥

Edited by NewTricks
attachment deletion

Have not tried it, but a Powerwash should be quick.

After restart it is just selecting language/network logg in/ Your Google ID and you should be up and running again

Alternativ

https://support.google.com/chromebook/

https://support.google.com/chromebook/community

Edited by pondus

Thank you for the links. I visited both before posting. I also was naive enough to submit a "feedback report" to Google, with a screenshot.

The powerwash is indeed quick, but if I want to return my CB to full functionality, that means re-installing & re-configuring all my apps, 27 at present count. Google mail reinstalls on it's own.

While not impossible, certainly unappealing & time consuming. Yet this is the tradeoff for using tech. It works fine, until it doesn't. 

Maybe I'll surprise myself or BE surprised by a less than apocalyptic landscape afterward. 

Shutter1.thumb.JPG.2387021466cb18362504f25714868b8d.JPG

Shutter2.thumb.JPG.d27d5d10ac9172faf4257a7c656a8640.JPG

eekout.gif.6b7632fdc5410a4f5681273be4a81ca7.gif

• Like 1