MSE freezing when computer is booted

nccomp

Microsoft Security Essentials issue when there is no internet cnnection?

Anyone else experencing their computer freezing for 2-5 minutes after booting if the network connection is unplugged?

When computer finishes booting MSE icon is red and you can not start any apps for around 2-5 minutes.

I have seen this on about 8 XP PC's after installing MSE.

I world assume it is something to do with MSE trying to Update but just a guess.

Hello nccomp

I tried to recreate your freezing/rebooting error but had no luck. I did get this warning window when updating without internet conection only

Error code 0x8024402C

Also there is no unsubscribe option box in the Microsoft SpyNet menu via Settings > Microsoft SpyNet, which I have a problem with. Maybe if enough people complain about this forced submission it may be added.

I have notice it only seems to only happen if MSE has not been updated for around 24hrs and there is no internet access when system is booted. Which explaines why it is mainly happening on laptops.

It will go back to green after you update (Icon in task bar) or on screen (Blue) - Mine went Yellow (on line) and a quick scan updated and changed back to green -

They are just informing you it is time to update - It still works at the settings you apply -

Add Remove / Microsoft Security Essentials if you want to opt out - Or MSE/settings and 'disable' Real Time protection then just manual update next time on line -

Mine has picked up 2 items so far -

Some on the forum (with MBAM real time) have set it for manual scans only - In case there is a conflict -

Exile360 can give the exclusions/inclusions to run both together -

Yes it does eventually turn green and everything starts working when it does turn green even if you do not update. Some users are just complaining about the initial wait time.

I do not see this as a conflict with or relating to MBAM in any way.

For those who are not always online I may just have to switch to another AV and hope a future update to MSE changes this behavior.