Several "Blocked Website" actions from Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2

WilliamCas

Hello and good afternoon,

I just noticed thanks to my monthly report that Malwarebytes has been detecting and blocking several things from the games, Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2.

These games are made by Valve and are considered some of their most beloved games and I've played them for most of my life and I've never gotten these before, which is why I believe these are most likely false positives.

Looking at my history the first flag was on the 15th of September and the latest was on the 6th of this month. Most are labeled as trojan except for four of them which two are labeled comromised and two other are labeled riskware. This has kinda made me panic when I noticed them. Malwarebytes didn't light up with notifications like usual so I thought everything was fine until now.

I have attached logs of each unique block, I just want to make sure I'm safe playing these games, they are some of my favorites.

Thank you in advance for helping and for reading.

- William C.

compromised TF2 log.txt trojan L4D2 log.txt riskware L4D2 log.txt

While we wait for staff to review, I want to pass some info on to you, Staff will check the IP and if not bad anymore they will delist it.

It must be due to some server(s) the games are trying to connect to. Steam and many others use p2p connections to play online. As long as the games aren't at risk for connecting to malicious content (which they shouldn't be), you should be able to simply exclude the games' executables from Web Protection using the method described under the Allow an application to connect to the Internet section of this support article.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

While we wait for staff to review, I want to pass some info on to you, Staff will check the IP and if not bad anymore they will delist it.

It must be due to some server(s) the games are trying to connect to. Steam and many others use p2p connections to play online. As long as the games aren't at risk for connecting to malicious content (which they shouldn't be), you should be able to simply exclude the games' executables from Web Protection using the method described under the Allow an application to connect to the Internet section of this support article.

Oh, okay. so just to make sure I understand, my computer isn't in any kind of danger, correct? These are being detected as such because they use peer 2 peer and it's unsure if they're safe?

• Staff
20 minutes ago, WilliamCas said:

Hello and good afternoon,

I just noticed thanks to my monthly report that Malwarebytes has been detecting and blocking several things from the games, Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2.

These games are made by Valve and are considered some of their most beloved games and I've played them for most of my life and I've never gotten these before, which is why I believe these are most likely false positives.

Looking at my history the first flag was on the 15th of September and the latest was on the 6th of this month. Most are labeled as trojan except for four of them which two are labeled comromised and two other are labeled riskware. This has kinda made me panic when I noticed them. Malwarebytes didn't light up with notifications like usual so I thought everything was fine until now.

I have attached logs of each unique block, I just want to make sure I'm safe playing these games, they are some of my favorites.

Thank you in advance for helping and for reading.

- William C.

compromised TF2 log.txt 722 B · 0 downloads trojan L4D2 log.txt 727 B · 0 downloads riskware L4D2 log.txt 728 B · 0 downloads

Hello- This is a valid IP block that has a long history of abuse, block will not be disabled: VirusTotal - IP address - 175.11.215.5

3 minutes ago, TeMerc said:

Hello- This is a valid IP block that has a long history of abuse, block will not be disabled: VirusTotal - IP address - 175.11.215.5

Okay, I understand that, Sorry if this is obvious, but I just want to make sure, the fact this IP address was blocked means the games are safe to continue playing and my computer won't be at risk, correct?

Edited by WilliamCas

• Staff
4 minutes ago, WilliamCas said:

Okay, I understand that, Sorry if this is obvious, but I just want to make sure, the fact this IP address was blocked means the games are safe to continue playing and my computer won't be at risk, correct?

We can't ensure with certainty you're safe from that IP, that's up to you to decide the risk. Odds are you are safe, many of these gaming sites use IPs that are not too safe in a heavy rotation.

• Like 2

Thank you both for your help. I'm still a little confused on the situation but I believe I'm safe.

After all, the games have tens of thousands of people playing them daily, I feel like I would've heard something about this if it was genuinely a problem.

Sorry for my confusion and I hope you both have a great rest of your week.

1 hour ago, WilliamCas said:

Thank you both for your help. I'm still a little confused on the situation but I believe I'm safe.

After all, the games have tens of thousands of people playing them daily, I feel like I would've heard something about this if it was genuinely a problem.

Sorry for my confusion and I hope you both have a great rest of your week.

Thousands of players and many servers. The only problem of no make exception would be the game will select other server, or you unable to connect to certain servers (the ones on the blocked IP)