MBAM Quick Scan Slows and than Stops - Windows 7

Greetings - Need help please.

Have been running MBAM for some time on XP systems with never an issue. Recently I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (fresh install) and loaded MBAM 1.41.... When running Quick Scan (usually takes 5 minutes +/- on XP systems), scan starts slowing less than one minute into scan, slows, clucks forward in blocks and than locks up... Right around the 18,000 count mark....

From other posts read... I have uninstalled, tried to run the MBAM-clean.exe (received error)... Re-installed MBAM 1.41.... Did not re-enter my registration code. Tried Quick scan right after re-install... Same issue....

Running Windows 7 Ultimate on an NC8230 laptop with an 80Gb HD, 2Gb RAM and 2.26Ghz processor... Will someone please review and advise as to possible correction action.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Tucson, AZ

Could be your AVG.

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Thank you for your quick response...

Tried your suggestion.... Was able to copy all lines except for C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref... AVG wouldn't accept it in the PUP Exclusions listing... As for the other lines, they entered fine. In any event, there was no positive impact for Quick Scan.... Still hangs up around 17,000 +/- and eventually lapses in a coma ("not responding")... Have to run Task Manager to quit.

Jim

Tucson, AZ

• Root Admin

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

??? "We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums."

This post/thread is not about malware removal. It's about a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate and the subsequent loading of Malwarebytes and it not apparently running correctly (slowing than stopping around the 17,000+/- count which ultimently results in a "not responding" error and a ctrl-alt-del into Task Manager to kill MBAM). The advise provided so far eluded to a possible AVG anti-virus issue/conflict... I tried the suggested remedy which did not solve the issue. I than removed AVG altogether and reinstalled Malwarebytes which did not resolve the issue. So I would have to assume the issue does not lie with AVG anti-virus... In that this is a new install of Windows 7, I doubt that it has anything to do with an infection of malware... Hence the ??? with regard to your response "We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums."

Additionally... I can't complete your request of "Please print out, read and follow the directions here...." because MBAM won't complete to generate a report to post. As mentioned in first post, on other machines in the family (running XP), Quick Scan takes about 5 minutes.... I've had to kill MBAM after more than 60 minutes run time / not responding which did not result in an MBAM report...

Jim

Tucson, AZ

I can confirm that there's an issue.

I just ordered 4 reseller keys & have been doing some testing before marketing the non-free version to my clients.

I have a new (March '09) Lenovo Laptop with Windows7 Ultimate x86.

My "Full Scan" completes in under 2 minutes. Yep, the full scan does.

The "Quick Scan" runs for about 5 minutes & then my machine stops responding; disk activity stops & there is no more mouse usage; I have to 'push the button.'

You can get my information from my profile, or DM me for more info.

Again, I can't sell this to my Windows7 clients until *my* issues are resolved & I feel comfortable that they won't have issues.

Ugh, no edit your own post capabilities.

<Update>

I added in all of the exceptions noted above in to Avast! Professional & a quick scan hung my machine after about 90 seconds.

I stopped Avast! completely & Malwarebytes Quick Scan didn't make it out of the 'preparing to scan' phase before it hung.

</Update>

I'll get you whatever logs you need.