Massive data load with "malwarebytes" app (ver. 3.14.0.83) and Android 10

Throwing my hat in the ring too. I should have thought it was weird when I got a text saying I hot 80% cos I never do that, but 15 minutes later I got cut off.  Thankfully it resets tomorrow which was just fortunate timing.

I've just completely disabled wifi and data for now.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 103841.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-06 103847.jpg

It looks like everyone's Mbam decided to do this all at roughly the same time. Mine decided to chug through 30GB and overheated my phone while it was charging. Thing felt like I was touching a radiator. No space taken up on the phone either, uninstalled it until whatever's happened gets fixed, thankfully I have a 100gb data limit.

@Dave77, @Freewheelin, @Hexpresso, @Icepick, @JATF, @Katmo94, @LeoXDaniels, @Mike Turner, @MrG, @Panguini, @RMac67, @Redtuxedo, @Skooby, @WuWej, @Xerksas, @capriikose, @cbull, @neverperfect, @redahan,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. The issue is due to corruption on Malware database 2023.06.05.01. Updating to the latest Malware database 2023.06.06.01 will resolve. You can resolve this issue by performing a force update on Malwarebytes for Android: Manually update database in Malwarebytes for Android

We are investigating the root cause of this issue to prevent any future problems.

Once again, we apologize for this issue,

5 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

@Dave77, @Freewheelin, @Hexpresso, @Icepick, @JATF, @Katmo94, @LeoXDaniels, @Mike Turner, @MrG, @Panguini, @RMac67, @Redtuxedo, @Skooby, @WuWej, @Xerksas, @capriikose, @cbull, @neverperfect, @redahan,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. The issue is due to corruption on Malware database 2023.06.05.01. Updating to the latest Malware database 2023.06.06.01 will resolve. You can resolve this issue by performing a force update on Malwarebytes for Android: Manually update database in Malwarebytes for Android

We are investigating the root cause of this issue to prevent any future problems.

Exactly how will you be compensating users for demonstrable financial loss incurred as a direct result of this debacle?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mbam_mtbr said:

@Dave77, @Freewheelin, @Hexpresso, @Icepick, @JATF, @Katmo94, @ItMeTheDoon, @Mike Turner, @MrG, @Panguini, @RMac67, @Redtuxedo, @Skooby, @WuWej, @Xerksas, @capriikose, @cbull, @neverperfect, @redahan,

Can we confirm then that the data use was a perpetual download loop of some sort and not any sort of upload of the data from our devices? I was more worried about that as my phone doesnt show me the split between up and down

OK so I've followed instructions but hitting the "force update" does absolutely nothing; completely non-responsive...

MouseHouse: 

I thought the same thing after hitting the button.  Just wait a few minutes. 

It appears the update happens in the background and there is no "update in progress" kind of notification. 

Once the database is updated you'll see the Last Update response change to "June 6, 2023 x:xx:xx AM" and you'll breath a sigh of relief.

Another observation:  My update frequency is set to every three hours.  Apparently, when the app is busy downloading it won't stop to update the database.  Otherwise, this problem would have resolved itself after 3 hours instead of chowing down on bandwidth overnight.

RICK

3 minutes ago, RICK-T-FIED said:

MouseHouse: 

I thought the same thing after hitting the button.  Just wait a few minutes. 

It appears the update happens in the background and there is no "update in progress" kind of notification. 

Once the database is updated you'll see the Last Update response change to "June 6, 2023 x:xx:xx AM" and you'll breath a sigh of relief.

Another observation:  My update frequency is set to every three hours.  Apparently, when the app is busy downloading it won't stop to update the database.  Otherwise, this problem would have resolved itself after 3 hours instead of chowing down on bandwidth overnight.

RICK

Thank you, rick! XD Wasn't really thinking clearly, yet, given the shock of all this first thing in the morning.

I believed and trusted Malwarebytes wholeheartedly and even bought a new upgraded subscription just yesterday from 3 a device to a 5 device with privacy add-on for 2 years.

My 42GB data quota was reset yesterday and today I have went passed the limit by 3+ GB by midday, signed a 6 months contract to add another 10GB, not an hour later I am left with 700MB. I still have 28 days to go till reset.

I am sure we all appreciate that the issue has been resolved but I think we would also appreciate if something can be done about the predicament that we are in also? It has impacted our day-to-day activities significantly.