Massive data load with "malwarebytes" app (ver. 3.14.0.83) and Android 10

This happen to me as well. Android 5.5 GB on my mobile data. Luckily I was at the limit of my mobile data ! That being said I connected to my wifi so I hope I didn't let hackers get more information!!! Is this a hack???

12 minutes ago, Xerksas said:

Today (06/06/2023) the "malwarebytes" app (ver. 3.14.0.83) had a massive data load on my Android smartphone (Android Version 10).

Within a few hours there was a data load of ~40GB.

This could only be prevented by deinstalling the app.

Screenshot_20230606-074047_Settings.jpg

20230606_075251.jpg

Have you heard of there was anything virus or scammer related ?  I emailed Malwarebytes support but no answer.  And I can't find a phone number for them.  I'm concerned that my private data was stolen!  Doesn't make sense what would be large data transmission for.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It can take a few days for an answer.

There is no phone number for consumer support.

@mbam_mtbr will be able to advise.

Thanks porthos ..I hope it's not any type of hack. Irony is I did a scan with Malwarebytes and it says no viruses found lol... furthermore I have a pixel and google says my phone doesn't even need 3rd party virus apps as it's impossible to hack the new chip they put inside lol.

Another victim, exact same as above, this is clearly not us, something is wrong with the app, this has cost us $s & massive inconvenience due to getting limited while we were out & about.

We pay $s for a premium subscription, who is going to reimburse us for the data we have to now go & buy, not happy :(

Another victim, exact same as above, this is clearly not us, something is wrong with the app, this has cost us $s & massive inconvenience due to getting limited while we were out & about.

We pay $s for a premium subscription, who is going to reimburse us for the data we have to now go & buy, not happy :(

EDIT: I should also add that it was draining the battery fast as well, not surprisingly given the data it is chewing through.

This app that is supposed to protect us  chewed through data that would normally last us months & got us limited, & left us with a flat battery, not happy at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Freewheelin said:

EDIT: I should also add that it was draining the battery fast as well, not surprisingly given the data it is chewing through.

This app that is supposed to protect us  chewed through data that would normally last us months & got us limited, & left us with a flat battery, not happy at all.

Yes, forgot to mention my battery also drained overnight. Now while waiting for answers/solutions/compensation from MB I have to decide if MB should be switched off to prevent further financial loss plus possible damage to battery before I shell out more money for additional data allowance from my provider and explain to my provider what has happened so they don't blacklist me for using my phone for nefarious purposes. I'm in the UK, this happened at night while asleep so had no chance to see any sudden surge in data consumption.

Just now, Mike Turner said:

I'm up to 133 GBytes. It appears to have started soon after midnight British Summer Time.

so far as I can tell, my data surge started around 2am & have no idea when it stopped or even if it's stopped, O2 cut me off at 05.20.

Same here for me, both phones sharing the same data plan and boom just exploded my data quota. And today is the first day of reset too. Thanks so much MalwareBytes for bursting my data and even exceeding my limits, my Telco is so happy to charge me the excess data usage.

Even on WiFi the data transfer doesn't stop. Just what is it doing.

Screenshot_2023-06-06-11-55-47-820_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-06-13-53-12-926_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

Same, chewed 36Gb mobile data while phone locked and no visible indicators it was doing anything. App has been set to only update via wifi since it was installed.  $60 extra data bill and no data left for three weeks. Wow. What a great service I've paid for, Malwarebytes. Uninstalled, will be unsubbing if support ticket response doesn't give me confidence. 

>The same thing happened to me. It depleted my 20GB mobile data package. I bought a new 20GB data pack and that got depleted in 10 about minutes time. I'm concerned what data has gone out and to where. 40GB is a LOT of data!

Submitted a support ticket. Not holding my breath :)