Visited website, they sent me an email (worried possible threat)

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

I had visited a website and they sent me an email shortly after, I never submitted my email to the website. 

I don't know how they got my email address, but I think it *might* be that I have a profile with my browser (it has my email address in the profile, it's for syncing across devices -- having a profile) but I wanted to make sure my computer is clean just in case.

I have malwarebytes premium and nothing flagged upon visiting the site.

I did a full malwarebytes scan and:

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 4/7/23
Scan Time: 11:32 AM
Log File: c6c3e212-d561-11ed-adb8-3003c89a2fcc.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.5.25.256
Components Version: 1.0.1957
Update Package Version: 1.0.67681
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: DESKTOP-ON0R3NL\kacie

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Custom Scan
Scan Initiated By: Manual
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 1453093
Threats Detected: 0
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 1 hr, 50 min, 14 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect

-Scan Details-
Process: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 0

Physical Sector: 0

WMI: 0

(end)

I also ran a adwcleaner scan and it found nothing but 2 preinstalled HP things (they are for support purposes -- I don't want to remove them yet)

I have attached a FRST scan txts to this post.

Addition.txt FRST.txt

Hello @kelizabeth and welcome back:

While you are waiting for the next qualified/approved malware removal expert helper to weigh in on your topic, and even though you may have run the following Malwarebytes utility, or its subsets, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  2. In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file.
  3. In the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation.
  4. Run the MBST Support Tool.
  5. In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced.
  6. In the Advanced Options, click only Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your computer.
  7. A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please attach that file in your next reply to this topic. Please do NOT copy and paste.

For the short time between when you post the diagnostic logs, and when your helper weighs in, please take no further self-directed remedial actions that will invalidate the diagnostic logs you will have sent.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Hello @kelizabeth

It's difficult to say how it may have happened but we'll do some scans and see what we can find.

Please run the following

Please run the following ESET Online Scanner and perform a Full Scan

Click the following link to save the installer for ESET Online Scanner

https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET screen, click on "Get Started". Read and accept the Terms of use
  • On the "Before we start..." screen chose if you want to send anonymous data and if you want to provide feedback or not, then click Continue
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on the Full Scan button
  • Enable  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click the Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take a few hours or more.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log and give it a name and location you remember.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false postive, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at the bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to turn off the offer for “periodic scanning”.
  • Enable "Delete application data on closing" - You do not need to submit feedback unless you want to. Simply ignore and close the program.

Note: If you do need to do a File Restore from ESET please follow the directions below

[KB2915] Restore files quarantined by the ESET Online Scanner version 3

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2915-restore-files-quarantined-by-the-eset-online-scanner

Please attach the ESET scan log you saved at the end to your next reply

@AdvancedSetup The scan completed with no items found, I have attached the txt here, thank you! Sorry it took a bit to reply, the scan took a long while. 

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Can you share what that website was?

Yes, A client sent a list of links to me to visit to see site styling it was one of these:
intoxalock.com or lifesafer.com

The first one is what the email says in the subject (I did not open the email), not the second but I'm including both just in case. All others I visited that they sent were all fine.

I'm not noticing any odd behavior in my browser. I did clear my cache though just in case.

Thank you so much for helping with this @AdvancedSetup

eset.txt

Edited by kelizabeth

• Root Admin

Great the ESET scan found nothing as well.

The first site appears to have site code error, not an infection though

image.png

The other site no issues found.

Please go ahead and run the following @kelizabeth

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire about the current security update status of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24: https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • If Microsoft SmartScreen blocks the download, click through to save the file
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • If SmartScreen blocks the file from running click on More info and Run anyway
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"  and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open a text file named SecurityCheck.txt Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you

• Root Admin

Please uninstall, update, or otherwise address the following as appropriate for your computer. @kelizabeth

Discord v.1.0.9006 Warning! Download Update
Git v.2.38.0 Warning! Download Update
Mozilla Firefox (x64 en-US) v.108.0.1 Warning! Download Update
Node.js v.16.18.0 Warning! Download Update
QuickTime 7 v.7.79.80.95 Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it and use another software.
Zoom v.5.12.3 (9638) Warning! Download Update

---------------------------- [ UnwantedApps ] -----------------------------
Bonjour v.2.0.2.0  Uninstallation recommended.

Then restart the computer and check for Windows Updates

Keep me posted

26 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

From what I see in the logs the computer looks to be clean.

Please let me know if you're seeing any signs of an infection or other issues before we close up here @kelizabeth

Thanks

Thank you! My computer is running a little slow today (nothing else at all other than that) but it could be the tabs or my battery running low, thank you so much again! I truly appreciate it! @AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

• Like 1