Motherboard
    HP 8533 (U3E1)
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620 (HP)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce MX110 (HP)    52 °C
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    1907GB SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD (Silicone Power NVME Gen3  Drive Model: SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD Drive 2TB)
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

6hour scan started with 40°C , which is the idle temp and quickly rose to 70°C, which is the max intended for the SSD and even jumped to 74°C
It was a normal manual scan, nothing different!

That was felt with my hand when placed on the left side of the touch pad, where the SSD is!
(The Person responsible for the laptop design placed the SSD AWAY from ANY COOLING! Yes, HP engineers must rip their diplomas apart)
Here a random pic from the net of such laptop so you get the idea: Bottom Right is where my left hand stands when flipped, the place for the M.2 SSD

But the problem is also with Malwarebytes, because no other game, software, like say Kaspersky KVRT scan will ever go above 55°C

Malwarebytes: 4.5.13
Logs attached.

Note: This is an extremely bad situation, where the battery is right next to the M.2 SSD. Because of the previous usage / scans, the heat probably damaged the battery already, adding to another problem.

I suggest: Malwarebytes monitoring temps of the system, specially HDD and SSD temps and lowering it's scanning force to prevent overheat.
Or just figure it out, you are smart kids.
But until the temps during scan drop to a NORMAL levels, I'd never use your product again to avoid hardware damage!

OIP.jpg

mbst-grab-results.zip

28 minutes ago, ldgrinn said:

6hour scan

I guess you were doing a full scan of one or more of your drives.

That is the issue. You should not run FULL drive scans as it is not needed with Malwarebytes.

How long does a standard threat scan take?

I just did a threat scan. 1:23 seconds. No time for any overheating.

image.png.b3d1e75f4e76b2c8342297b127495c13.png

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I guess you were doing a full scan of one or more of your drives.

That is the issue. You should not run FULL drive scans as it is not needed with Malwarebytes.

How long does a standard threat scan take?

I just did a threat scan. 1:23 seconds. No time for any overheating.

image.png.b3d1e75f4e76b2c8342297b127495c13.png

I don't get it, why wouldn't I want a full drive scan? Makes no sense, KVRT scanned for 14+ hours and had no overheating problem.

As for what you requested, I've started with 35°C, which slowly rose to 50°C and then dropped to 43°C at the end of the scan, atm 34°C upon writing this post.
Scan took almost 5min.

image.thumb.png.fbfa068a9841855d0015684c7ad15e88.png

2 minutes ago, ldgrinn said:

I don't get it, why wouldn't I want a full drive scan? Makes no sense, KVRT scanned for 14+ hours and had no overheating problem.

Malwarebytes is not designed to function like normal AV scanners and uses a new kind of scan engine that relies mostly on heuristics detection techniques rather than traditional threat signatures.  Malwarebytes is also designed to look in all the locations where malware is known to install itself/hide, so a full or custom scan shouldn't be necessary, especially on any sort of frequent basis (like daily), especially since the default Threat Scan/Quick Scan checks all loading points/startup locations, the registry, all running processes and threads in memory, along with all system folders, program folders and data folders as well as any installed browsers, caches and temp locations.  This also means that if a threat were active from a non-standard location, because Malwarebytes checks all threads and processes in memory, it should still be detected.  The only threat it *might* miss would be a dormant/inactive threat that is not actively running/installed on a secondary drive, however if the threat were executed then Malwarebytes should detect it.  Additionally, whenever a new location is discovered to be used by malware the Malwarebytes Research team adds that location dynamically to the outgoing database updates so the locations that are checked by the default Threat/Quick Scan in Malwarebytes can be changed on the fly by Research without requiring any engine or program version updates/upgrades.

If you need a flat file scanner to check archived data/drives, I would recommend using one of the many available free AV scanners such as Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool, ESET's Free Virus Scan, or even the built in Windows Defender that ships with Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10.  Links to the first two scanners I mentioned can be found below:

https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-virus-removal-tool
https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Also,

Malwarebytes does not target script files during a scan.. That means MB will not target; JS, HTML, VBS, .CLASS, SWF, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.

It also does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.

It also does not target media files;  MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

Malwarebytes will block execution of malicious files like these only with the anti-exploit module of the paid program.

10 hours ago, ldgrinn said:

Hello, I've scanned my laptop: HP 250 G7  Notebook PC

Bios F.35
Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 8265U @ 1.60GHz    61 °C
    Whiskey Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB
Motherboard
    HP 8533 (U3E1)
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620 (HP)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce MX110 (HP)    52 °C
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    1907GB SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD (Silicone Power NVME Gen3  Drive Model: SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD Drive 2TB)
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

6hour scan started with 40°C , which is the idle temp and quickly rose to 70°C, which is the max intended for the SSD and even jumped to 74°C

Am I missing something ?

The Subject of this Thread is "SSD Overheating" but temperatures shown are for CPU and Graphics.  If you are reaching said Temperatures then make sure all air entry and exit ports and the fan are clear of dust, debris or obstructions to make sure the system is adequately being cooled.

I have often seen BIOS Updates fix these issues where the BIOS algorithm for turning on the fan and its speed are improved leading to better cooling.  Current BIOS is newer and appears to be;  F.41 Rev.A

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2