[ RESOLVED ] Malwarebytes is interfering with the ejection of a PortableApps USB stick

Go to solution Solved by Amun,

As per the title. It used to work fine, but is now failing to eject the stick. If I try to eject the stick manually, then Windows says that a file or files are open and I have to force it through.

If I close down Malwarebytes completely, it works perfectly. If I disable each of the four protections, or disable all at once, it doesn't work.

Please advise.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi Amun:

See juantho's 04-Jun-2022 Malware and PUP PROTECTION Does not allow me to eject my USB after Run .exe (currently locked to prevent further comments).  I opened a support ticket on 07-Jun-2022 and submitted Process Monitor logs to the Technical Product Team on 08-Jun-2022 but haven't heard anything since then.

Just note that the latest Malwarebytes v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 (released 15-Jun-2022, see Erix's change log in Malwarebytes 4.5) does not fix this problem.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Hi Amun:

For some reason, I  can't safely eject my USB thumb drive after running a portable app, even if I choose "Quit Malwarebytes" from the system tray icon, so I used to power off my computer and allow Windows to shut down what ever process was holding a handle to the USB drive so I could unplug it. That wasn't a satisfactory workaround for me so I've prevented Malwarebytes real-time protection from starting at boot-up (i.e., Settings | Security | Windows Startup | Launch Malwarebytes in the Background When Windows Starts Up | OFF) and I imagine it will stay that way until Malwarebytes releases a bug fix.  I hope the fix comes sooner rather than later or I'll have to deactivate my Premium license and just use Malwarebytes Free as an on-demand scanner.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

• Root Admin
14 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Hi Amun:

For some reason, I  can't safely eject my USB thumb drive after running a portable app, even if I choose "Quit Malwarebytes" from the system tray icon, so I used to power off my computer and allow Windows to shut down what ever process was holding a handle to the USB drive so I could unplug it. That wasn't a satisfactory workaround for me so I've prevented Malwarebytes real-time protection from starting at boot-up (i.e., Settings | Security | Windows Startup | Launch Malwarebytes in the Background When Windows Starts Up | OFF) and I imagine it will stay that way until Malwarebytes releases a bug fix.  I hope the fix comes sooner rather than later or I'll have to deactivate my Premium license and just use Malwarebytes Free as an on-demand scanner.
-----------

That is terrible advice. Do Not disable any protection unless you wish to risk some type of infection. There are so many new methods of exploits and attacks these days.

You know you can open Disk Manager and eject and it works.

23 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Hi Amun:

-----------

Although it does work properly if I quit MB, I haven't found any file issues by using the system to eject it - even though it warns that files are still open, it still works OK once the USB stick is re-inserted.

For that reason, I don't think that it's worth losing the protection aspect at the moment.

4 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

That is terrible advice. Do Not disable any protection unless you wish to risk some type of infection....

Hi AdvancedSetup:

You might recall that I opened a second support ticket on 11-Jun-2022 about an Exploit Protection issue (see Adam2022's 10-Jun-2022 Excel macro 4.0 abuse protection prevents opening password protected files) that I assume is unrelated to my problem ejecting a USB thumb drive after running a portable app.  I wasn't giving Amun advice, just stating how I've decided to deal with some of the bugs and other glitchy behaviour I've encountered these past few weeks since Component Packages v1.0.1689/v1.0.6899 were released.  I was disappointed to learn that neither of these bugs was fixed by Malwarebytes v4.5.10.200-1.0.1702 (released 15-Jun-2022), and as I noted <above>, I've haven't heard back from the Technical Product Team handling the support ticket for my USB ejection problem since I uploaded a Process Monitor log on 08-Jun-2022.

You know you can open Disk Manager and eject and it works.

That is not true, at least in my case.  Ejecting from Disk Manager (or any other method you suggested) did not work on my system.  I was unable to post that feedback in juantho's 04-Jun-2022 Malware and PUP PROTECTION Does not allow me to eject my USB after Run .exe because that thread was locked immediately after I submitted my support ticket.
-----------

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/281762-malwarebytes-45/?do=findComment&comment=1522874

Some Issues now addressed:

• Fixed: Windows MB4 Consumer hindering Safely Eject USB

Hi AdvancedSetup:

Thanks for the heads up. I ran a manual update (General | Application Updates | Check for Updates) and installed the latest Component Package v1.0.1709 (released 30-Jun-2022) and that seems to have solved the problem on my system.  I tested by running a few different portable apps and had no problem safe ejecting my USB afterwards, so it looks like this bug has been fixed.

1034176978_MBv4_5_10CUv1_0_1709EjectUSBFixed30Jun2022.png.5101f0032555683be5fdcf20cd8f4a95.png

I'll contact the Help Desk and let them know they can close my support ticket.  Would it be possible to unlock juantho's 04-Jun-2022 Malware and PUP PROTECTION Does not allow me to eject my USB after Run .exe ? That thread was locked to prevent further comments while I was working with the Help Desk and the OP juantho might not know a bug fix has been released.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1709 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0

• Thanks 1