DCIservice found in Windows 10 System Configuration Services

Kelpie

In troubleshooting long delays in Firefox accessing websites, I isolated the problem to " DCIservice" found in Windows 10 System Configuration Services. Google states this is a PUP.GEN.

Malwarebytes nor Windows Defender caught it. I searched my C: drive for "DCIservice" but came up empty.

In order to reset the PC start-up back to normal, I need to remove this service.  How do I delete it?

Screenshot 2021-12-08 200021.jpg

• Root Admin

Hello @Kelpie and :welcome:

Why are you looking to RESET the computer? Let us get some logs and perhaps we can help you out.

Please do the following so that we can get started and see what's going on.

The Farbar Recovery Scan Tool is a free Windows utility designed to create troubleshooting logs for your computer. These logs help our Support team to identify and resolve issues with your computer.

There are two versions of the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool available for download: 32-bit and 64-bit.
To find which operating system is installed on your computer, refer to Microsoft's article: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: Frequently asked questions

Download and launch Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

1. Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
    Do not click on any Ads.

2. Locate the file you downloaded on your computer.
    Downloaded files are often saved to the Downloads folder.

3. Double-click the downloaded file to run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.

DOC-1318-1.png

4. Windows protected your PC notification may appear. This notification is from the Windows Defender SmartScreen Filter which prevents unfamiliar apps from running on your PC.
    Disable smart screen ONLY if it interferes with software we may have to use:  What is SmartScreen and how can it help protect me?

a.  Click More info.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/article_attachments/360051190254/DOC-1318-2.png
         b.  Click Run anyway.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/article_attachments/360051190294/DOC-1318-3.png
  5. When the User Account Control window appears, click Yes.

image.png

6. To accept the Disclaimer of warranty, click Yes.

image.png

7. Ensure only the boxes listed below are checked

image.png

Registry  Services  Drivers
    Processes  Internet  One month
    Addition.txt

image.png

8. Disable any Antivirus software you have installed ONLY if it stops software we may use from working.
    Please remember to re-enable any Antivirus software when we are finished running scans

Click Scan. The scan may take a few minutes to complete.

image.png

9. When the scan completes, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool shows two messages:

• Scan completed. FRST.txt is saved in the same directory FRST is located.

image.png

• Addition.txt is saved in the same directory FRST is located.

image.png

• Click OK to close each message window

Please attach both of those logs on your next reply, DO NOT copy/paste the contents of the logs directly

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mmalware/monthly_2018_10/_mb_attach.jpg.dbd89b8e360d3763b3bbe33ce83d680d.jpg

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

Advanced Setup,

You ask "Why are you looking to RESET the computer? " I am not sure what you mean by trying to RESET the computer. Several days ago I suddenly starting experiencing delays of 20 - 30 seconds for each webpage to load. After talking with my ISP provider and assuring me everything was fine from their end, I googled the problem and found the following link to possibly isolate the problem - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-perform-clean-boot-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.html.

It took several hours but I finally isolated it down to this one service (DCIservice). As long as it was checked, my browser pages loaded slowly. According to a Google search this is a PUP.GEN, a file that neither Malwarebytes or Defender detected. As long as this file remains, and if I want normal browsing, I need to leave the System Configuration in "Selective Start-up" and DCIservice unchecked.

I'm not certain your procedure is warranted since the cause of the problem is known and just need to rid of the file(s) causing it. Please let me know.

Thanks!

• Confused 1

Hi @Kelpie,

you could try to uninstall the software/app "WebCompanion" from your system, the reported service "DCIservice" belongs to it.

"WebCompanion" is bundled with a lot of software installers. Sometimes it gets installed silently on computers withouth user's notice. Unfortunately, MBAM does not detect this software. It does not meet the PUP criteria like @TwinHeadedEagle told me some time ago, the same counts for Windows Defender.

I've already reported this service to @jboursier to add it to AdwCleaner's database... Adwcleaner is detecting "WebCompanion" as PUP.

If you can't find the software "WebCompanion" on your system, I suggest you follow the instructions given by @AdvancedSetup to guarentee a complete removal.

Edited by MKDB
  • Like 2

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection.

Thank you.

As this topic seems to be solved, I do not follow it any longer. Take care!

Edited by MKDB