Why does Chrome say my clock is wrong on Windows XP

use xppro with last chrome for xp

and am getting some messages saying my clock is ahead when I go to a web site

but my clock is set to nist and is just fine even if they dont like my time zone in london/gmt area

on the page it says click here to fix the problem

sounds like phishing to me so I do not click on it

someone said it is a normal message

i do not know as i gave up trying to be  power user long ago so still afraid to click on that fix button

so is that message from a virus or is it legit

will clicking on that link really fix my problems or not?

what would clicking on that icon to try to fix my already correct time really do?

if this really is some useless security feature of https (http does not seem to work for me any more) 

or is there another reason this 'security' is keeping me from doing what i really want to do

[I note that passwords only keep me out of my data and hackers seem to already have it all from all the companies they have hacked in the past]

how can i get around this message and start visiting sites i have used for years but now find my pc and browser unworthy

Phishing is the creation of content that masquerades as a known entity and tries to get a victim to reveal login credentials and/or Personally Identifiable Information.

Nothing you describe is Phishing related. 

What it sounds like is the web site uses HTTPS and a Certificate for purposes of non-repudiation and encryption.  The Web Browser is dependent upon the certificate and the PC Clock being set to relatively correct time and the correct time zone.

Using extremely outdated software increases the likelihood of errors in the process of a HTTPS site being rendered and must be expected.  If you conflate this with malware and malicious activity the I strongly suggest a modern PC and software and educate yourself on the threat landscape.  After all, it is...  Cybersecurity Awareness Month

Thanks for that input.

I have never done certificates in decades of using pcs so surprised to infer that somehow now I have to handle them myself.

To me that message looks suspicious and like phishing as it is unexpected and totally illogical as my clock is absolutely correct.

As to outdated the software works just fine almost everywhere else which makes these screens look even more suspicious with the erroneous claim about my clock.

If there is a problem with some certificate why doesnt the message say that instead of the totally misleading clock time claim?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have the same problem. Still haven't found the permanent solution for it.

I'd recommend trying out several different browsers "tailor-made" for Windows XP... like Centaury, MyPal and so on. That worked for me, at least.

Alternatively, if you want to keep using the official last xp-compatible release Google Chrome, you can always try using the "--ignore-cerificate-errors" command. Also works.

The problem can be caused by your CMOS battery, I heard. But I can't guarantee replacing it will fix it.

Here, from quick google search:

How do I fix the clock ahead in Chrome?

How to Fix the 'Your clock is Ahead/behind' error?
  1. Adjust the time & date. ...
  2. Cleaning / Replacing CMOS battery. ...
  3. Deleting Chrome's Cache and Cookies. ...
  4. Adding a Command-line Argument to Chrome launcher. ...
  5. Contact the Web administrator.

@sniktbub 

thanks for the tips -  I have not found ignore certificate errors command but will check that out asap.

I will check out those other browsers.  

doubt it is the battery as everything else works and the last time I had a battery issue all my new files were dated 1980. my new files have correct date/time.

I had used foxfire but it stopped working after an update and I was never able to get back to what had worked so I tried chrome and it has worked until now

as to phishing - anytime I get a message claiming I have a problem that I know is false and then it says click here to fix the non problem that *IS* phishing in my book

I set my clock by the Bureau of Standards master clock and it is more accurate than most sites that I visit.  I also choose Zulu time for convenience as that is the same where ever I may physically be.

You're welcome.

You just need to add the command. Take your time, google the subject for the exact instructions. It's pretty simple and works like a charm.

And if you decide to adjust only your Google Chrome desktop shortcut this way - then make sure to always use that shortcut when launching Chrome.

MyPal and Centaury are probably the best browsers for Windows XP you can find these days. They are no longer being updated, but they can still do more than Chrome.

--
The only alternatives to them are Chinese browsers... which, while quite amazing and successfully mimicking modern browsers, I can't really recommend, as they consume vast amounts of resources and pose a security risk - lots of users complain about their data leaking to China. So, you need to know exactly what you're doing and probably pick the modified version of those instead of the official release.
--

Back to the subject. I also doubt the battery is to blame, yes, but all articles I have read about it do mention the battery as a possibility, so it's always good to consider it.

PS. You could include some screenshots (and crop them), but this really sounds like the same issue I'm experiencing myself. And if so, then it's not an actual phishing attempt, like David said.

Still, good that you're being careful. Never click on anything you're unsure about.

• Root Admin

You cannot circumvent this on XP on purpose. They do not provide the required certificates for it.

In many cases even very old computers will still run Windows 10. If you can't purchase a new computer, perhaps you can consider buying a new SSD drive which is much faster and install Windows 10 there are some links on how to install and in many cases the installation will work and activate for free.

If you really cannot do then you'll either need to live with it or consider installing an older version of Linux

As you can see here, you can use Firefox ESR to browse most sites. But you really should look to update and get off of Windows XP

image.png

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • Like 1

Need to agree with AdvancedSetup here, good post.

And if we want to discuss wildly popular browsers, then yes, Firefox ESR indeed does try its best to work on XP.

However, neither Chrome nor Firefox are being used often these days by XP users (yes, we exist, sorry to disappoint).

If MyPal or Centaury are not enough for your needs, then I suggest visiting and carefully exploring  either

https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Browsers or https://www.xpforums.com/

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disabled hyperlink

Thanks to all.

I have  been told that chrome used to do the client side certificates automatically but apparently does not do that any longer.  dont know cant say.  While I do know a lot about security , certificates were never anything I dealt with before.

I was hoping another browser would still do that for me.  It is far more convenient to use the desktop  xp than to set up a laptop to check email. 

And FYI_all  I do have a win8.1 and win10 that I rarely use.   Also a 98SE that is used more than the laptops.   That is because of space problems now that I am retired for win81 and I have to set up the laptop every time I use it then restore the space to its previous usage.   Win10 is just a total POS from my perspective although I know some people love it.  I am just tired of learning new UIs that are harder to use to do what is needed.  Next time it will be a linux distro to avoid the nonsense that microstuff does to us.  Maybe if the 98SE died I would move the data and junk the desktop to make room for the win8.1 laptop.

Random thought -  what do tablets that check email do for certificates?  They have a browser, they access hotmail.  So what is the difference?  Do they really generate client side certificates?  

As I said I had problems with all firefox after the update that killed it totally on my XP.

I will look at that for use on my laptops.

I use Chrome because it works.  That is what I found that did work after FF died and I could not fix it after the update that failed. 

I will look at other browsers to see if they work.  All I really need to do is get to email.  But other browsing is a big plus.

Just now, veryparanoid said:

As I said I had problems with all firefox after the update that killed it totally on my XP.

I will look at that for use on my laptops.

I use Chrome because it works.  That is what I found that did work after FF died and I could not fix it after the update that failed. 

I will look at other browsers to see if they work.  All I really need to do is get to email.  But other browsing is a big plus.

I did hear you the first time, yes, and it's perfectly undestandable, but you never considered doing a 100% fresh install of Firefox ESR?

Chrome indeed is good, yes, but it really can't hold a candle to Centaury or MyPal. It's fast, yes, as almost every Chrome is, but it's also incredibly outdated.

Contact other XP users to verify my words, do your own research and take your time.

Just remember to avoid Asian browsers. They are awesome, but they can be somewhat incompatible or, at worst, do some harm to the computer or spy on it. You need a smart IT guy to use them to their full advantage. Don't even consider them now.

I considered it but the other symptoms said it was too dangerous to try.    That may have been after I did try once.   Too long ago to remember for sure.

Chrome worked.  It was so much better than IE so I just stayed with it.  

NO way will I use anything from China or Russia.  And others will be vetted carefully before consideration.  

That said, I have had to use some software from China that came with a device I used but it was worse than billyG's stuff on a very bad day at microslop.

Which is why I have totally  sworn off considering any of their stuff now. 

• Root Admin

The issue is AGE period, (well a bit of politics and money too, but you get my drift)

There is no money in supporting an OS that is now 20 years old. Could they support it, yes. Obviously they chose not to and that's pretty much the end of it. Staying on something old is up to the user (you) to find ways to make things work.
Believe me, I loved Windows XP but I don't have time and energy to stay with XP as my main computer. I have it running well on VMware 16 for testing, etc. but that's about it.

Windows XP/Initial release date: October 25, 2001

As for all these 3rd party browser developments you have to consider that both Google and Mozilla have hundreds more developers available to them and an entire software ecosystem to help support find, reporting, repairing, exploits or other security issues. In most cases these other browser projects have less than a handful of developers and rarely find or fix exploits before they're well known and already being exploited in the wild. That alone is a main reason for staying with the larger browser market.

But, staying on XP on purpose is a chosen risk. There is no software, no antivirus, that is going to protect that OS 100%. Having an image of the entire system saved to an external USB drive or using VMware  or Virtualbox is the only way to protect it well so that you can recover within minutes if something does happen to the system as it can be very difficult to build and setup Windows XP from scratch.

Macrium Reflect is probably one of the best imaging backup software programs  you can use to create that image and do scheduled backups too.

I am a hardcore XP fan... but even I won't deny any part of the post above.

AdvancedSetup is telling the harsh truth.

Especially in these parts:

Staying on something old is up to the user (you) to find ways to make things work.

(...)

But, staying on XP on purpose is a chosen risk.

You can make XP work, but it takes time, dedication and lots of experimenting. And even then, each one's way of achieving that can be somewhat different, so don't count on the easy way.

Back to the main topic, the clock issue. Try googling this particular problem, you'll find that it's quite common. Lots of legitimate articles on the web.

Annoying? Sure, no doubt, especially if your clock is set correctly, as you say. But it's still not a novelty of any kind (much to my discontent, but it is what it is).

understood and mostly agree

i still use 98se because it has an ap i use that does not run on later systems.  it also runs rings around the xp because it is totally air gapped and i ripped all the security software out of it.  i would still be using 95 if i could have changed that battery but it was buried too deep and soldered in so i gave up on that system. 

i prefer xp because i know it and it is far easier to use than 8.1 or 10.  i am just bleeping tired of constantly having to learn new opsys and how they do things.

i do not feel afraid of using xp.  i do have mbam which is a help.  and there is nothing on it that i could lose that really matters.  my data is backed up.  there is no financial or similar info on it.  and these days xp is not really targeted like some other versions are.  and i do have mbam so i am careful about ransomware phishing as mbam does not do that for xp. 

besides the learning curve there is the time and expense of buying new software to use and then learning the new way a word processor for EG works vs word 97.

like I said, if i am forced to do something it will be to use a linux distro.  first ap would be libre office for word processing.  then a browser.  and of course mbam.  actually two linuces -  one large desktop totally airgapped for wp speed,  audio DAW, and financial info security.  the other a smaller box with mbam and limited to surfing which includes email using hotmail.  also my current pop3 email client unless they finally stop supporting that at my isp. 

as to macrium reflect.  i had bought it.  when i finally went to use it total fail and that version not even listed on their web site.

recently i bought a more recent copy of macrium.   will that be DOA again when i finally get to try it?  

as to the clock - why cant the coding hackers give a meaningful error message.   my clock is absolutely correct. better than so many other sites i visit and also timestamped on emails i get.  

if they had just said my certificate had expired then i would have saved a lot of angst.  

• Root Admin

Not sure what issue you had with Macrium Reflect but it works very well on every system I've used it on. I've also performed restores to validate that it functions properly.

Here is an article about Backup software. Note that as stated before. If you want to stay on XP then everything you do will require that you do more extensive research as current documentation for XP is almost non-existent these days.

Backup Software
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136226-backup-software

Macrium Reflect: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Macrium Reflect Minimum System Requirements

PC and Windows

In order to run Macrium Reflect, you must have a system that has the following minimum system requirements:

At least 512MB RAM (1GB min recommended)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 or later

A keyboard and mouse

To use the rescue media, you will need either a CD/DVD writing drive or a USB drive

agree

that is why i bought a newer version

i had bought an old one long ago for future use when i got to doing it

but when i did get to try it then it failed and looking on line that release was not listed 

so last  year i did get another one at a local computer store

held off using it as i researched for something that might be better

then life happened as  usual and i got sidetracked so it is still on the to do list

afaik my system had all of those requirements and still does

well i bit the bullet and took a chance with a site that i trust and also based on belief that the error message is coming from chrome not a virus.  at least i did not see any ransomware like actions next.  and i had scrubbed the system with mbam before doing it.  will now be doing another scrub to see if anything new shows up after clicking on the clock fix icon. 

aaamazingly after i reset the clock with the icon given, and then reloaded the page i actually saw it.

now i have to figure if it is worth the risk of doing that on every site that has the same problem. 

so i guess if the IT weenies error message were wrong about the clock it could have fixed the certificate.  

do they still  code in basic??   so just     let clock = certificate ??

• 3 weeks later...

Revisiting this thread.

Did some reading at the XPForever wiki:

The SHA-1 Root certificate expired on the 9th of May 2021. Expect certificate errors and problems installing drivers.

Google Chrome has been showing "your clock is ahead" errors on Windows XP. Updating root certificates from BlackWingCat's root certificates update solves the problem for now. Also The IdentTrust DST Root CA X3 certificate expired on 30th September 2021, meaning many browsers will break without a certificate update.

Source: https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

--
Updating the certificates (as the wiki advises to do) seems to have worked for me, but I'm still testing.

Anyway, I thought I would let you know.

If you don't like this option or using the command for ignoring said errors (as I've mentioned before), you could always try switching to a browser that has nothing to do with Chrome/Chromium and is not even based on those... such as Firefox ESR, as AdvancedSetup suggested.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Why does Chrome say my clock is wrong on Windows XP

@Sniktbub

Thanks.  I  will check that link out.  I had tried to find ways to update root certs but have not gotten far enough to do that yet. 

Yes some certs seem to be slowly expiring and causing problems. Looking at my certificates many are still good and so far both email clients are working which is the main online use for this old PC.

I would use any browser if I could be sure it would work right.  Hopefully is not a real pain and barely useful like some.   I have tried others but they would not install AND RUN on  XP.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:22 PM, veryparanoid said:

well i bit the bullet and took a chance with a site that i trust and also based on belief that the error message is coming from chrome not a virus.  at least i did not see any ransomware like actions next.  and i had scrubbed the system with mbam before doing it.  will now be doing another scrub to see if anything new shows up after clicking on the clock fix icon. 

aaamazingly after i reset the clock with the icon given, and then reloaded the page i actually saw it.

now i have to figure if it is worth the risk of doing that on every site that has the same problem. 

so i guess if the IT weenies error message were wrong about the clock it could have fixed the certificate.  

do they still  code in basic??   so just     let clock = certificate ??

update

failed on other sites.  so I did something else that I forgot about when it worked or there is more to this than is clear to me.

what I do know is that i will NOT use win10 or 11 , ever.  For now win81 still works although I hate that one too.

Guess that  I will have to bite the bullet and install ubuntu instead of thinking about it. 

Which browsers have you tried?

Their behavior may vary, depending on the state of your certificates (as we're discussing in this very thread) or perhaps the specifics of your OS installation, etc.

Here is a list of browsers you may try:

https://retrobrowsers.com/windowsxp

More:

https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Browsers

Make sure to check out the "unsupported" section, too, as it does list some good ones:

https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:Unsupported_browsers

--
There are more browsers being made as we speak... but, alas, you can't count on the browser giants such as Chrome or Firefox to release anything after v49.0.2623.112 (2016) and ESR 52.9.0 (2018).

Thanks for the additional links.

Do not recall all of the ones I had tried.

One was firefox or foxfire which had worked great until an update to it forked it and my machine's ability (or at least mine:)  to download the old one again.

Looked at a couple of others and either they failed or I did not like them enough to get them installed as I had gotten chrome to work just fine for many years after firefox/foxfire self imploded on that update.   If it were not for their stop regenerating certificates in the XP version I would use it till the hardware died. 

• 6 months later...

This look like the solution. after the ?v= put  49PY6XJzUig  next to the = to play the video on you tube

I had a suspicion that this would work but did not know how to move the certs from one pc to another.  Now I know. Will try this real soon now. 

I