Windows warning on using Anti-Malware.

Please kindly excuse any error but as my question covers both topics ,I am unsure whether this post should be included in the General Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or the P.C.forum.

I have recently been experiencing a problem whenever I run a Anti-malware Full or Quick scan. After a few minutes, my p.c. will shut down and a blue screen will appear advising that:

This may be an issue with our Direct Disk Access driver.

Please reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware by following these instructions.

You may also want to add the following files to the exclusions list in Norton:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

This may be an issue with our Direct Disk Access driver.

Please reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware by following these instructions.

You may also want to add the following files to the exclusions list in Norton:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Thank you very much for both responses.

I shall follow the advice re the reinstalling of the programme and let you know how i get along.

With regard to my reluctance in updating to SP3,I recall a problem back in May 2008 when having installed SP3 I was presented with a message stating that Internet Explorer 7 had encountered a problem and needed to close.Only when I was able to remove SP3 could I gain access and successfully remove IE7.Restarting the p.c. confirmed that IE6 was running as the default browser."Computerworld"on 6th May,2008, advised tht Microsoft users then updating to SP3 would not be able to downgrade from IE7 to IE6 without uninstalling the service pack beforehand.

Thanks again,

westonmale

Just my suggestion:

Everybody should have all the 3, (IE, Firefox & Opera).

I mostly use Firefox & Opera.

I use IE only for some sites which do not display properly in the other 2 browsers.

I browse with Opera, and test with SRWare Iron. I never could stand Mozilla technology.

Nah, I haven't... I know it's out there, just haven't taken the time to try it.

It's fun. I have some issues with it (the spell check is terrible) but it's a solid browser. It's not that great on Linux, but then again the only good Linux browser is Konqueror.

Hi

Now you can upgrade to SP3 & IE8. The issues you have mentioned have already been fixed.

Moreover IE8 is more secure & stable than it's predecessors.

You can try Firefox.

Regards.

Thaank you .

I am now running both SP3 and IE8.

I have followed the advice on reinstallation as described earlier and have since run two Quick scans without their being stopped abruptly as previously experienced.Hopefully I shall have the same joy when running a full scan to its completion.

I have Norton Internrt Security 2009 installed on my system but unfortunately cannot find the exclusions list so that I may add the files as suggeted byGT500.

Many thanks,

westonmale

@westonmale,

Found this on the Norton forum... I don't know how accurate it is, but you could try it.

1. Start Norton Internet Security 2009.

2. In the Computer pane, click Settings.

3. Under Exclusion/Low Risks, click Configure next to Scan Exclusions.

4. Under Scan Exclusions, click Add.

5. Browse and select the folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK. If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

6. Under Auto-Protect Exclusions, click Add.

7. Browse and select the folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK. If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

8. Click Apply > OK.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=28476

Edit reason: to post link...

@westonmale,

Found this on the Norton forum... I don't know how accurate it is, but you could try it.

1. Start Norton Internet Security 2009.

2. In the Computer pane, click Settings.

3. Under Exclusion/Low Risks, click Configure next to Scan Exclusions.

4. Under Scan Exclusions, click Add.

5. Browse and select the folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK. If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

6. Under Auto-Protect Exclusions, click Add.

7. Browse and select the folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK. If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

8. Click Apply > OK.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=28476

Edit reason: to post link...

Thank you swagger, exactly what i required.Job done.

Cheers,

westonmale