Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg - can we discuss?

Go to solution Solved by AlexSmith,

Please advise (if you can) whether it's (generally) safe for Malwarebytes users to get Malwarebytes subscription licenses from Newegg.  Newegg for example offers Malwarebytes Premium 3.0....but, Newegg support cannot assure me that licenses from Newegg qualify for upgrades/updates to Malwarebytes 4.x.x
Newegg Chat Support - writes:
I'm sorry that we can not confirm that you can update it to the new version. What I can confirm that you will receive the Malware Premium 3.0 - 10 Devices / 1 Year. 

As a retailer, Newegg is not required to be an authorized dealer of a manufacturer in order to sell their products. We are only required to purchase our merchandise from an authorized dealer or vendor, which we do.

So, I'm asking Malwarebytes Forum to comment whether there are reports that licenses from Newegg create problems for Malwarebytes users. 
Whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg should generally speaking ... be okay.  

My apology in advance if my message is beyond the scope of Malwarebytes Forum.
Do Malwarebytes Forum members know whether Malwarebytes 3.0 licenses from Newegg qualify for all Malwarebytes upgrades/updates....whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg can be registered to my.malwarebytes.com....whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg qualify for official Malwarebytes support.  
Thanking you in advance.

3 minutes ago, bjm said:

What I can confirm that you will receive the Malware Premium 3.0 - 10 Devices / 1 Year. 

I can say the following that these on Amazon are supported by Malwarebytes. I assume you are looking on a 10 device license.

https://www.amazon.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-3-0-Multi-user-Year/dp/B07MSFW5F9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3EZ4O3BBFHXEG&dchild=1&keywords=malwarebytes+10+devices&qid=1601228808&sprefix=malwarebyt%2Caps%2C302&sr=8-5

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023973-Purchase-Malwarebytes-Premium-from-Amazon

• Like 1

All Malwarebytes licenses, as long as they are legit/valid licenses, qualify for application updates, so any license for v3 should also work for upgrading to v4.  Once you've purchased a license, I'd highly recommend signing up for an account at My.Malwarebytes.com as described in this support article as this will enable you to check your license status, see where each license is installed/active, and allow you to easily deactivate the license on individual devices for situations where you need to reinstall on a new device or a new Windows installation.

I hope this helps, and if there's anything else we can assist with please let us know.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I realize that, however where you get the license is irrelevant; 

Where I get the license is relevant, to me. 

My apology in advance if my message is beyond the scope of Malwarebytes Forum.
Do Malwarebytes Forum members know whether Malwarebytes 3.0 licenses from Newegg qualify for all Malwarebytes upgrades/updates....whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg can be registered to my.malwarebytes.com....whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg qualify for official Malwarebytes support.  

7 minutes ago, exile360 said:

You may also find the information in this support article helpful.  It references Amazon, however it also indicates the same for other authorized resellers which includes Newegg.

Is Newegg an authorized by Malwarebytes dealer/reseller?

Newegg support told me that Newegg is not an authorized by Malwarebytes dealer/reseller.

Newegg support told me that Newegg is not required to be an authorized dealer of a manufacturer in order to sell their products. Newegg is only required to purchase merchandise from an authorized dealer or vendor, which we do. 

Newegg support could not (would not) tell me where they source Malwarebytes licenses.  
Newegg support could
 not (would not) confirm that I'll be able to update Malwarebytes 3.0 to the current Malwarebytes version. 
Newegg support could not (would not) confirm whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg can be registered to my.malwarebytes.com....whether Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg qualify for official Malwarebytes support.  

Newegg support could not (would not) point me to the license terms and conditions for Malwarebytes 3.0 offered on Newegg.  

Please point me to Malwarebytes documentation that Newegg is an authorized dealer/reseller. 

I would go ahead and get it. The issues in the past were all about the old lifetime keys that were floating around. Since this is a subscription I would not worry.

The same instructions apply like Amazon purchases in regards to registering it in your Malwarebytes account.

It will be upgradeable to any future version during the subscription period.

Since you mentioned the 10 device license, be aware the license term begins when the first device is activated.

• Like 3

Malwarebytes Premium Lifetime licenses are still offered on Ebay... as are Malwarebytes subscription licenses.  
Malwarebytes sellers on Ebay could not (would not) answer my questions.  I even found Malwarebytes sellers on Ebay that claim to be from Newegg....that also could not (would not) answers my concerns.  

Wilders Security Forums has a long running Newegg thread -
Wilders Security Forums Savings Monitor urged me to post my questions/concerns on Malwarebytes Forum. 

So,  I searched Malwarebytes Forum ....read messages regarding old lifetime keys ... messages regarding Newegg licenses - and posted ...  Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg - can we discuss?

Malwarebytes has never restricted any valid license key to a specific version of the product; ALL valid licenses work for all versions of Malwarebytes for Windows.  The only issue would be if the licenses were pirated, which they clearly are not, especially since all modern (v3 and newer) license keys are provided by Malwarebytes to whoever is the original source for the licenses (i.e., whoever Newegg got them from).

Likewise, for registering the license with My.Malwarebytes.com, as long as it is a legitimate/valid license key you will be able to register with My.Malwarebytes.com.

Now, with all of that said, the official EULA can be found here and it definitely does specify that the agreement/rights etc. only apply to purchases from Malwarebytes directly or through an authorized Malwarebytes reseller, so I understand the reason for all the questions.  However, I also know for a fact due to my own experiences and observations both as a user and Malwarebytes employee, that they have never refused any of the updates/support/services we've been discussing to anyone who had a valid license/subscription, even for cases where the user bought it somewhere like Newegg or ebay from a source that was definitely not an authorized reseller.

Or, to put it another way, there is absolutely nothing in the licensing checkin/validation system which restricts the software from upgrading to the latest version (currently version 4.2.1) due to the source of the license key.  You could buy those licenses right now, never install v3, download the installer for v4 and activate it with your key and it will work as long as it is a legitimate key and I know of no instances where support has been refused on the basis that a user acquired their license from any such source like Newegg or any other unauthorized seller, again just with the exception of pirated keys which are a different matter.

At this point if you still aren't sure whether or not you want to make the purchase, please contact Malwarebytes Support directly and they will provide you with definitive answers.  To do so, please fill out the form on this page as all we can do is speak from our own experiences; we cannot speak officially for the company.

• Like 3

Yes, we'll agree "as long as it is a legitimate/valid license" -

Questions remain (for me) since sellers on Ebay (Newegg) still offer Malwarebytes Lifetime and subscription licenses.
I think we'll agree that there may be unknowns regarding licenses from third party sellers. 

Maybe, Malwarebytes Community members hold Malwarebytes licenses from Newegg in higher regard than Malwarebytes licenses from Ebay? 

Maybe, Newegg is Malwarebytes authorized dealer/reseller? 

Newegg was an authorized reseller at one time, though I'm not certain when that changed.

With regards to any lifetime licenses still being sold, I frankly wouldn't trust them to be legitimate just because it has been so many years since any lifetime keys were issued and I've seen numerous cases where a lifetime key turned out to be pirated.

• Like 1

Hello again,

I've done some more thinking on these issues and the EULA, and while I still stand by everything I said previously with regards to how it actually works right now, in spite of the official terms as outlined in the EULA, there is no guarantee that these things will remain true and I have to believe that they specify what they do in the EULA for a reason, meaning all of these allowances we've observed for licenses purchases elsewhere, entitlement to future product versions/updates/upgrades and the other issues under contention due to the wording of the EULA are likely going to change so if I were you, I'd play it safe and just buy from an officially authorized reseller or Malwarebytes itself rather than risking my money on older licenses/subscriptions which may or may not be honored in the future.

Again, I cannot speak for the company so if you want an official answer you'll need to contact Support as advised above, though my suspicion is that they are likely to point you to the EULA and its terms.

• Like 2

Yes, questions remain, for me, regarding - 

If you purchased a license to the Software from Malwarebytes or from a Malwarebytes authorized reseller, then upon payment of the associated fees, as and when such fees become due, and conditioned upon your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Malwarebytes grants you a non-exclusive and non-transferable license to Execute the number of copies of the Software for which you have paid solely in executable form on the corresponding number of Devices owned or used by you.

Newegg support would not (could not) confirm they're a Malwarebytes authorized reseller - 

Newegg support could not (would not) point me to the license terms and conditions for Malwarebytes 3.0 offered on Newegg.  

Maybe, I'm getting too deep in the woods.
Admitting, I do gravitate towards minutia.  

But.....
I'd like to think that there are direct simple official answers for direct simple questions.  

Just me.
Just saying. 

Well, the official answers are in the EULA which states that they only support purchases direct from Malwarebytes or through an authorized reseller.  The additional info provided by Newegg, me, Porthos and anyone else who does not officially represent Malwarebytes and their legal agreements cannot say with absolute certainty whether or not the Newegg licenses will be honored as we've only our past experience which tells us that they should be.  When in doubt, go with the official terms which state pretty clearly what the answers are.  Since Newegg isn't an authorized reseller any more, those v3 licenses will only be good/honored/valid for as long as Malwarebytes chooses not to enforce the terms of their official End User License Agreement.  If ever they do enforce those terms within the software, you'll have to deal with whatever the consequences of that are which may include your licenses being invalidated.  I don't believe Malwarebytes would ever do that, however I won't lie to you and tell you that it's absolutely impossible either because I'm not in charge of such things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bjm said:

Maybe, I'm getting too deep in the woods.

Admitting, I do gravitate towards minutia.  

But.....
I'd like to think that there are direct simple official answers for direct simple questions.  

Just me.
Just saying. 

Nothing new there. 👽 Even when your questions have been answered by 2 excellent longtime members of this Community!

Edited by Triple Helix
  • Like 3

Final thought/post on the topic.

If you need to protect 10 separate devices, The NewEgg deal can not be beat. Like i posted before, you get one key for use on 10 devices and the 1 yr timer starts when you activate the first device.

If I needed it I would actually take advantage of the deal before it expires.

Support, if you created a ticket will not get back to you before the NewEgg deal expires.

• Like 2

I have been using Malwarebytes Premium for the last 4 years on my Mac. I bought all yearly subscriptions from Newegg. When one subscriptions nears the end I will activate the new subscription a day before the last one ends. When I activate a new subscription I register it in my account. I have had no problems getting support or updating the product. Mac and PC licenses are the same.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Popeye said:

I have been using Malwarebytes Premium for the last 4 years on my Mac. I bought all yearly subscriptions from Newegg. When one subscriptions nears the end I will activate the new subscription a day before the last one ends. When I activate a new subscription I register it in my account. I have had no problems getting support or updating the product. Mac and PC licenses are the same.

Thanks - great to hear first hand experience regarding Newegg -