Fake Flash Player

HELP.. I am 82 use an iMac desk top was playing WWF when I got the Flash update popup window. Ignored at first. I have Malwarebytes of course, and I also had an extention  AdBlocker. Still that popup window would appear and I could remove it somehow and continue the game. but I am so frustrated by it, that I have stopped playing and of course my friends are "upset".  Yes it is easy to say, don't click on a popup    I even went to the Adobe site, to check if I could load it from there, but did not. I had Apple support on chat recently about something else and mentioned the pu.. she wanted me to do a screen shot/ beyond my realm of knowledge. Is there a simple fix if that window comes up again.  BTW I just uninstalled the adblocker temp since it didn't seem to be working

• Staff

This sounds like something that was caused by the website you were visiting, and not by malware on your computer. I would definitely recommend an ad blocker, as most of the time, this kind of thing is caused by a malicious ad that has snuck into a site's advertising feed. Blocking ads can go a long way towards eliminating these pop-ups.

thank you for asking. I use Safari.  I just googled how to remove the fake  flash, and followed the whole process eliminating everything, including all my bookmarks (ouch), then shut the computer off and turned it back on, and  went to WWF and dang that popup was right back there. not sure what else I can do.

MA

• Staff
3 hours ago, purplerose said:

I just googled how to remove the fake  flash, and followed the whole process eliminating everything

Oooh, be careful about that. There are a LOT of scam websites that will come up if you Google "how to remove X", for just about any "X." The majority of those sites contain worthlessly-generic instructions that probably won't do any good for the majority of cases, and they exist simply to recommend scam "cleaning" or "removal" programs. Always ask in a forum like this one rather than Googling for this sort of thing.

Regarding the fact that nobody else who plays the game sees the same issue, that's likely because ads are often targeted based on things like geolocation, what the advertiser knows about you and what ads it thinks you should see, what browser and version of the operating system you're using, etc. So sometimes one person will have no problems at all with a site, while another person will find a site to be practically unusable due to pop-up scams.

An ad blocker would definitely be the best bet for a solution. I personally use 1Blocker, available from the App Store. It's not free, but it's very effective.