Slow DNS Resolution (?) with MB (past week or two)

@AdvancedSetup:

>> You need to help us help you
Let me turn this on its head.  I'm a software developer with decades of experience, developing both user-mode and kernel-mode applications.  I've worked first hand with QA/testing personnel/customer support to resolve numerous bugs.  

At this point,

>> You need to let me help you.  

How so?  

1) Bring this bug forcefully to the attention of the Malewarebytes development team.   

2) It's hard for me to believe that the development team cannot reproduce this bug - but if so, some sort of remote debugging may be called for.  When the bug next appears on my computer I'm more than willing to let a Malewarebytes employee debug my machine.
===

If you're still reading...

You should know that I completely unintalled Malewarebytes and then resinstalled using your support tool. That didn't fix the problem as I was almost certain that it would not.

I'm now running your support tool in an attempt to collect logs.  Unfortunately, the tool is now stuck for hours on end in the "Run FRST" portion of troubleshooting.  If the tool completes within the next 10 to 12 hours (it's already run for about 8 hours) I'll post those logs.  If not, I'll need to reboot and run the tool again - against a system that is free of the bug - for whatever that's worth - likely worthless as you've received numerous such logs already.

===

I'm pretty sure that at this point I'm not going to use MWB anymore.

Final feedback - this volunteer bug support forum without recourse whatsoever to the development team and/or elevated bug response is a huge disappointment.  I would not switch products if I knew that development were actively pursuing a fix to this bug or that development was directly asking for my help.

This is not to diminish the help provided by volunteer support - I really appreciate your contribution.  However, at some point the development team itself needs to be brought into the loop.  That point, for this bug, has long, long since passed.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Greetings,

Thank you for expressing your willingness to help Malwarebytes find the cause and resolve this issue.

I do not know if they ever do any sort of remote access diagnostics, however the root admin of the forums here should know what they are allowed to do.

@AdvancedSetup would you or any other staff member be able to remote into an affected machine, and if so, would that be likely to aid in diagnosing an issue like this one?

By the way, while I cannot speak for the staff, I do know that they have numerous dedicated Support agents working issues here on the forums and documenting, replicating and working with users and Developers to get issues fixed as well as informing afflicted users by responding to the users' topics whenever a fix has been released (for issues which have been resolved).

I hope that this issue will prove to be quickly resolved for your sake and for anyone else affected by this problem.

• Root Admin

I am not aware of any remote debugging ever having been done. Generally speaking logs or crash dumps are used just like the majority of software vendors. I'm not saying perhaps some vendor might do it but in 30 years the only one that I've ever encountered that was willing to do so was Microsoft but that's because we had a dedicated TAM manager that we paid well over $100K per year. One generally attempts to find common causes that affect possibly hundreds or thousands of users. By doing basic checks, fixes, clean-ups from a support point of view helps to fix or remove the majority of issues. Then you're often left with a subset of users that actually do have a persistent problem that will require more analysis to determine the cause. In many cases we are able to locate the issues from enough logs gathered that we see a common issue. In others we sometimes need to get a crash dump file. In some cases we're able to duplicate the issue and work on a fix. But we have dozens of products that share common code so even if we believe we've found a solution it now needs to be tested for all those products on all sorts of different versions of Windows. I'm sorry but no large software vendor is going to remote into a single system, find a bug, code a fix, and deploy it tomorrow unless it's a very small shop and has a single software program that is not tied into the internal security operations of the operating system. As a kernel developer one surely must understand the complexity involved with making, testing, regression testing, etc. that is involved.

• Root Admin

As for the FRST portion not completing. If the reinstall operation has not completed in well under 30 minutes then something has happened. You should go ahead and abort, reboot the computer and ensure that there are no ongoing Windows updates and that perhaps Windows Defender Smart Screen or Windows Defender itself or Protected Folders, or other security software are not possibly interfering with the process. It is not normal to go beyond a 30-minute process.

The FRST logs alone without our MBST tool can be ran using the following method. But in the long run and in most cases we will need the full MBST set of logs.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you