Slow DNS Resolution (?) with MB (past week or two)

Seeing a lot of this in various forms in other posts.

Primarily a Chrome user, but it shows in Firefox as well. It's particularly slow on some sites, like webex.com (when visiting a team room site at a custom company url), or to-do.microsoft.com, but everything is ultimately affected.

I found I can 'immediately' remedy the issue by disabling 'Web Protection'. When I turn it on, the problem comes back. I've done the ipconfig /flushdns, tried different DNS servers, and other things ad nauseam. When I reboot, I maybe get 20-30 minutes of relief, where everything will be relatively fast, but then it slowly devolves back into slowness.

I had VPN Unlimited installed, and when that was 'active', everything was fine (even with MB's Web Protection enabled). When the VPN was off, and MB's Web Protection enabled, it was problematic. I read another post where someone uninstalled their VPN because it had a new setting that prevented DNS resolution from working properly when it was 'disabled', so thought that might affect me with the app I use, but uninstalling VPN Unlimited didn't help.

The only sure fire thing that 'solves' the problem is disabling 'Web Protection' in MB.

I turned the beta track on, and that isn't helping (unless I turn web protection off).

In the event there is something about how web protection works that could be visible to (and throttled by) our IPs, mine is Cox (Phoenix). The part where it would work fine when I had VPN Unlimited installed and enabled was interesting. Perhaps creating that VPN tunnel hid the MB Web Protection activity from Cox, and Cox is somehow throttling that, for whatever reason? Conspiracy theories abound, I suppose.

At any rate, I have Web Protection (sadly) disabled, and everything seems fine.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Also should note it's not just browsers. Games have a hard time starting up and connecting to services they need. Usually have to try two or three times until they connect and move forward. In GW2, I have to fight the issue a second time the first time I use the AH in a session. Also issues with my WebEx desktop client, trying to connect to company rooms and starting meetings in my own room. I tried this testing with all browsers closed, in the event having it running interfered with them.

But again, none of these problems exist when:

1) I 'disable' Web Protection in MB

2) When I had VPN Unlimited installed, if I 'enabled' a connection (my closest best was in Los Angeles), with Web Protection still 'enabled' in MB, the problem wouldn't exist (which is not a long term solution to the problem, but interesting to note). Still makes me wonder if there isn't something about how 'Web Protection' works that my service provider is purposely blocking (which would explain how it was able to run okay with a VPN established, as theoretically, it would be invisible to them at that point).

mbst-grab-results.zip

• 2 weeks later...

^Bump^ 

I'm having the same problem. MWB Web Protection makes DNS resolution grind to a halt and all browsers are not usable. I've tried changing the DNS on my Ethernet connection to the Google 8.8.8.8 and it doesn't help. 

Only thing that fixes it is disabling Web Protection - then everything is back to normal. 

Greetings,

Please ensure that you have the latest components and updates installed by launching Malwarebytes and navigating to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right area of the Malwarebytes window then click on the Check for updates button found under the General tab and allowing it to install any available updates.

Once that is done please restart your system and test to see if things have improved.

If the issue still persists then please do the following so that we may investigate the issue further:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes and if necessary, please provide the requested ZIP file.

Thanks

Thanks, it seems to be the same issue being reported by a few others recently.  Hopefully a fix is coming in a future update.  In the meantime you should disable the Web Protection component if the slowdown is too disruptive.  I would also recommend installing Malwarebytes Browser Guard if you haven't already.  You can learn more and download it from here.

• 1 month later...

Still rolling along with no changes. Running Browser Guard for some extra protection, but also still have to continue to run with 'Web Protection' set to 'Off' to avoid the slowness I experience, which seems to revolve around slow-to-no DNS host name resolution. I check periodically when I see an update roll through (still on the beta track).

• Root Admin

Hello @asfaraslarry

Please try uninstalling your current version using the following method.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once you've done that and rebooted the computer. Then enable Beta downloads in Setting.

image.png

Then check for updates again - the current latest version as of this posting is

image.png

Then let us know if you're still having issues or not. If you are then please gather and post the requested logs for us to review

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually

Thank you

37 minutes ago, asfaraslarry said:

Version looks good, though I'm at 1.0.20726 on the package (though I doubt that matters).

It seems you did not follow the instructions to reinstall MB with the support tool.

Installation Date:       02/25/2020

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @asfaraslarry

Please try uninstalling your current version using the following method.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once you've done that and rebooted the computer. Then enable Beta downloads in Setting.

If you indeed did the clean install please post an update log.

Sorry about that, didn't read the instructions well and made an assumption about what was being asked. I ran the through the clean install w/ reboot, re-enabled beta and updated w/ reboot, then let it sit over night to get settled, and still have the same issues on my end. Here's a new dump with all the new pieces in place.

mbst-grab-results.zip

3 hours ago, asfaraslarry said:

Sorry about that, didn't read the instructions well and made an assumption about what was being asked. I ran the through the clean install w/ reboot, re-enabled beta and updated w/ reboot, then let it sit over night to get settled, and still have the same issues on my end. Here's a new dump with all the new pieces in place.

mbst-grab-results.zip 1.98 MB · 1 download

No problem,

I would like you to try this

Remove all scheduled scans and RESTART and do no scans for a week. Turn web protection on again after restart.

I have had a few clients with slow internet that this is working for.

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

No problem,

I would like you to try this

Remove all scheduled scans and RESTART and do no scans for a week. Turn web protection on again after restart.

I have had a few clients with slow internet that this is working for.

I actually have the same problems and been following the forums closely 

I get a ticket before, but thought it was fixed and had it closed.

I am going to try this, because I find that it mostly happens after the daily scans.

Sadly, this doesn't seem it will work for me. I'm assuming the idea is, "let's see if it's okay for a week when you are not scanning". The problem is, it's a problem immediately upon rebooting. While many sites respond fine, many do not. It wasn't until something changed and many did not, that I noticed that for even the ones that do work, it's noticeable, if you are looking and realize it's there.

This makes me circle back to the top and wonder: what is it about using the VPN (which, I want to re-iterate, is not an ultimate solution for me, as the VPN causes other unwanted behavior, so I use it sparingly) that makes it work? The only thing I can think about a VPN is that it 'hides' the traffic from my ISP as it immediately leaves my home, until it reaches what I'm connected to (in my case, a server in CA). I use Cloudflare's DNS servers (though I've tried others, including Cox's), and that doesn't help. It makes me wonder if whatever ports you are using to do this extra scanning, whatever traffic that is, Cox is throttling or blocking it, but only in some cases.

If it helps, besides a custom URL WebEx site, another excellent example of a page that dies trying to resolve completely is google''s developer console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials . There are plenty of other examples, and even for the ones that don't resolve at all, they are noticeably slow.

As far as my internet speed, it's fine. I'm not sure if there was something in my logs that led you to believe it's slow or the comment was anecdotal, but I pull big downloads at nearly a gig and my up is near 40.

Happy to try any other ideas (that don't literally allow me not to function with some web sites for entire week).

• Root Admin

I've spoken with our internal support team and we hope to have a fix for this in the next beta build. For now you have 2 options.

Option 1: Disable Web Protection via the tray icon

Option 2: Revert to Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and disable program updates until the next beta is available

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install
Step 2; Download Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and install it
Step 3: Open Malwarebytes, click the wheel image.png (top right) for Settings, General, then disable Application updates.     

image.png

Step 4: Restart the computer

Thank you

The clean uninstall with the tool (no re-install) and install of 4 CU1 with auto updates off seems to be working so far, thank you. I don't see the slowness and 'resolving host' in the lower left hand corner, or have many of my pages time out. Hope you get it ironed out some day.

Is there a good place to periodically check to see if a new version is available that might fix your particular issue?

Willing to help test builds.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 10:25 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

I've spoken with our internal support team and we hope to have a fix for this in the next beta build. For now you have 2 options.

Option 1: Disable Web Protection via the tray icon

Option 2: Revert to Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and disable program updates until the next beta is available

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install
Step 2; Download Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and install it
Step 3: Open Malwarebytes, click the wheel image.png (top right) for Settings, General, then disable Application updates.      

image.png

Step 4: Restart the computer

Thank you

Hello:

Can you please let us know when (or if) the problem with website protection will be addressed.  As far as I can tell there's no open post currently in the forums discussing plans for the next beta.

• Root Admin

Hello @gunter

I'm sorry but you'll need to be a bit more specific as to what issue you're having or are concerned about. We have had several beta builds from CU1 to CU7 (the current one) that each one builds upon fixing specific reported bugs. Perhaps not in all cases but in many cases if you do a Clean Removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes 4 and enable Beta downloads and allow it to update to the very latest it will fix the majority of user posted complaints. There are still some issues that may not be resolved but again, many are resolved by using the latest Beta

Malwarebytes Clean Removal and Reinstall process

If you don't want to use the Web installer from the Clean Removal process you can decline the install when asked and use the Full download from the link below but let the tool do the removal and reboot.

MB4 Offline Installer
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

Please give that a try and if you're still having issues then please be more specific as to what issue you're having as well as listing your specific Computer manufacturer and model number details.

Thank you

The problem I'm having is that over time, host name resolution becomes slower and slower, eventually to the point where resolving host names is so slow that a reboot is required.

I've eliminated the possibility that this is a DNS issue - as host resolution using the command line tool nslookup provides instant name resolution, with no delay whatsoever.

This problem has been going on for several months now.

I don't want to install a previous version of Malewarebytes nor do I want to risk disabling web protection.

I really have liked using Malewarebytes up until now and I've used the support forums to help me out with some maleware that made it onto my computer.

In spite of this, I'm in a predicament - either I have to live with rebooting my computer every 2 or 3 days (sometimes I can't do this as I've long running programs that can't be terminated), or disable website protection - I really don't like that idea - or, ultimately, look to another product for maleware protection.

• Root Admin

Please try the method I've posted above. If it does not work out well for you or does not correct the issue then please provide us logs to review and see if we can determine what is still an issue on your system.

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually

You need to help us help you. We have millions of customers without an issue but we know there are still those that do have an issue but if you're not willing to help us help you then it simply probably never will get fixed for your system.

Thank you again @gunter