Let's be realistic about MBAM IP protection

Guest paula

@paula,

Just wanted to reiterate a few things that have been said. I am not an expert in this field, despite working in the field and helping a little around this forum. I learn something new everyday and I have a long way to go. Being an honorary member is nothing more than making 50 posts. It opens up a "honorary members" section which gives us an additional place to chat and participate in beta testing. That's about it. My original post was right on topic, but this discussion transformed into more when you brought up the size of the company and "bigger is better". As I've said before, I have nothing to gain by backing up Malwarebytes'. The product works. The staff is helpful and friendly and their response is quick.

IP protection is a little rough on the edges and I could see the argument for a whitelist... I've said this before. But I also believe it is up to the program developers and staff to decide the direction of their program based on their own philosophies. They feel that adding the IP protection feature will help prevent a lot of infections from happening while they also feel that adding a whitelist will turn the feature into an oxymoron. Essentially blocking malicious IPs but allowing the user to unblock malicious IPs.

Looks like it does, but the staff said no twice (of course, hehe). :)

Ask.com trys to get installed with all good applications:

Would you like Toolbar with your Software Order?

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/01/w...-with-your.html

IP protection is a little rough on the edges and I could see the argument for a whitelist... I've said this before. But I also believe it is up to the program developers and staff to decide the direction of their program based on their own philosophies. They feel that adding the IP protection feature will help prevent a lot of infections from happening while they also feel that adding a whitelist will turn the feature into an oxymoron. Essentially blocking malicious IPs but allowing the user to unblock malicious IPs.

Hi Swagger, nice to meet you. :)

My personal view is that the developers have got it right first time. The only addition I'd like to see are the startup options for IP blocking added to the system tray menu. They are already available elsewhere (thanks to Advanced Setup's helpful information) by registry editing.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to thank MBAM's developers and staff around the globe for having produced and continuing to develop what is one of the best antimalware products on the market. Not forgetting one of the most responsive and helpful forums I've ever come across anywhere. And in case you're wondering I do not and have never worked for the company. There is no vested interest here and I ain't being paid to say this either!

The GUI implementations take a little longer due to multiple language support. :)

Quite true. All of the non-English translations are done by volunteers, and in order to keep the same language support, we must get with all of those volunteers and ask them to retranslate everything. This takes a lot of time, in addition to the time it takes to test the new user interface, and make sure that all of the new translations are working.

Nobody forced me to use this soft.

One of my friend recommended this & I tried the free version in my home systems (desk top + laptop) for a few months.

As I was satisfied I upgraded to paid ver. for the realtime protection feature.

It has saved me from getting infected many times of course along with avira & win patrol plus which I installed recently.

Win Patrol was recommended by this forum members.

My desktop has 2GB ram, so 40MB footprint is not a prob.

Moreover I found that MBAM Forum is very helpful not only regd their soft, but on any subject related to hardware & software.