unexpected MRT Daemon install on High Sierra

We use Patricks Wardle's utility BlockBlock to notify us of attempts to install Startup Items/Launch Daemons etc. It behaves sort of like LittleSnitch, except it doesn't monitor the network, it monitors for attempts to install certain types of files.

Today, shortly after booting-up our High Sierra machine we received an alert from BlockBlock about an attempt to install a launch daemon at /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.MRTd.plist for /System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app/Contents/MacOS/MRT

I'm assuming that this is related to a silent update to the MRT.app by Apple but don't recall ever experiencing this particular scenario.

Are others seeing this MRTd activity?

MRT launch daemon install.jpg

Yes, I saw it along with about a dozen users posting to twitter today (many retweeted by Patrick).

It simply replaced the prior file (identical), so not sure why we all got the alert this time. There was also a LaunchAgent installed at the same time which nobody seemed reported, making it even more curious.

• 1 month later...

Just got new one, but it was installed by "Shove," as usual.

2019-08-16 19:35:31 +0000: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/shove installed a launch daemon or agent (/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.MRTd.plist -> /System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app/Contents/MacOS/MRT)
2019-08-16 19:36:05 +0000: user clicked: Allow

I didn't receive any alert in Mojave, probably because I checked the "remember" box after the last one. Will check on High Sierra this weekend.

The other curiosity is that BlockBlock indicates no signing authorities for the unknown process. Only processes signed by Apple are able to install anything into a System Library unless you have disabled SIP.