Win 7 to Win 10 FREE

With Win 7 coming to end of support some will be looking to upgrade their OS.

How would you like to get a FREE upgrade to Windows 10? (Latest version, 1903).

But they stopped doing that a few years back didn't they?
Well apparently not.

You can still easily upgrade to Windows 10 for free as long as your older Windows has a valid registered licence, see this article for how to do it:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

As of July 30, 2016, the upgrade notifications stopped .... In theory, that means the only way to get a Windows 10 upgrade is to pay for it.

The funny thing is, no one told the folks who run Microsoft's activation servers. Which means today, two full years after the free upgrade offer supposedly ended, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and claim a free digital entitlement.

This is still working, almost 3 years now since the offer ended, that article was updated last week.
Of course Microsoft aren't exactly advertising this, why should they if people will pay for a new Win 10 license?

Edited by nukecad

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, nukecad said:

How would you like to get a FREE upgrade to Windows 10? (Latest version, 1903).

But they stopped doing that a few years back didn't they?

I have been using this trick for some time now, I use the Window 7 key on the side of the computer to activate Windows 10 installs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

As Win7 is End of Life today I thought I would update this topic to say that the Free upgrade to Windows 10 is still working - as long as your hardware is compatible.

Updated January 7, 2020: Thank you to the many readers who have continued to provide firsthand reports that this procedure still works. The overwhelming majority of reader reports confirm that this upgrade is still available. A small number of readers have reported that the upgrade fails because of a Setup error or a compatibility block. For details on how to troubleshoot these errors, see .....

Follow the link above to zdnet for more details, and what to try if you are one of the few it fails for