Experiencing High Resource Usage

Kernel009

Hi everyone, I just started rolling out Malwarebytes trials and this thread has me concerned for obvious reasons. I know you're busy finding a resolution and hope you don't mind  me asking several questions?

How long did Mbytes work prior?

Does anyone feel installing MBytes on a server slows down network performance? 

Thank you in advance. 

23 hours ago, WORKS2016 said:

Hi everyone, I just started rolling out Malwarebytes trials and this thread has me concerned for obvious reasons. I know you're busy finding a resolution and hope you don't mind  me asking several questions?

Thank you in advance. 

I've had it deployed for about a year and a half and never had problems on a server until recently. Any issues I had before we always with workstations. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:54 AM, WORKS2016 said:

Thank you in advance. 

We had it installed on servers. Until there was an issue where it pegged the CPU at 100% awhile back. Couldn't even remote to the machines. Decided then that we would keep it off anything that critical.

Workstation performance has been on and off. Seems intermittent. However just today we had a user that said their machine was slow and unusable. We killed MB and performance was good again. (no scans running but MB was pegged at 25%) MB started back up right after and everything was fine. 

We just recently deploy to 280 endpoints. We are experiencing the same problem. It has been reported by our engineering department when using ArcGIS and InfoWater. When we uninstall the Malwarebytes client, performance goes back to normal. This is not a good experience for a new customer. 

We will do that next time it happens. Thanks

Just to add to this however. We had a user this morning having the issue. They were getting slugish performance. (scrolling, copy/pasting/etc)

We opened task manager and I didn't see high CPU. However MB service would jump to 25% or so for a few seconds when it would happen. As soon as they rebooted everything was fine.

So hopefully this catches it. But might be more then just a CPU issue. Since for us... it is not even that high all the time. More like it is holding things up.

Just to let you know, people have been complaining about this issue to MalwareBytes for over a year, you can check some of my old posts if they haven't been deleted.

Either they don't care, or enough people aren't submitting tickets for them to figure it out and fix it, but this problem plagued our machines for the entire length of our subscription. Not one of the many updates they pushed out fixed it, in a few cases the updates actually broke the software requiring us to reinstall on dozens of machines.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

3 hours ago, anyWARE-Mainz said:

Same here.

About 80 Machines. Performance issues on servers and workstations. 
Not all the time, just sporadically. 

When it happens, servers do not react in a proper way and same for clients.
Workaround: Restart mbam-service, but that's no solution.

It looks like some kind of memory leak.

Any suggestions?

Under your policies... disable "Behavior Protection". That is what we did, all problems went away. You can also add exclusions for the apps you run... but this was easier. When we hear it is fixed... we will turn back on.

3 hours ago, ShaunB said:

Under your policies... disable "Behavior Protection". That is what we did, all problems went away. You can also add exclusions for the apps you run... but this was easier. When we hear it is fixed... we will turn back on.

I'm guessing that's the same as Behavior Monitoring which is a key security layer:

Behavior Monitoring
Detects and blocks ransomware via behavioral monitoring technology

https://www.malwarebytes.com/why-us/

I wonder if a script restarting the service every hour would be a better workaround? I don't know. Have they owned the issue at least?

4 minutes ago, Christopherfest said:

I'm guessing that's the same as Behavior Monitoring which is a key security layer:

Behavior Monitoring
Detects and blocks ransomware via behavioral monitoring technology

https://www.malwarebytes.com/why-us/

I wonder if a script restarting the service every hour would be a better workaround? I don't know. Have they owned the issue at least?

With it turned off it is basically like a simple anti virus application. And it depends solely on signatures I believe. Which is fine for us. Since every thing it has ever caught for us in the past... has been signature based.

They are aware of the issue. When we submitted our performance data. They let us know they are working on it.

Hello,

I would like to provide some updates on this subject--

On Oct 8th we started pushing out a hotfix to resolve the high resource usage issue. It is being metered and watched closely at the moment as an upgrade. For highly impacted machines, reinstalling Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent will force the machine to download the latest (hotfixed) version. For impacted servers, I would advise to remove the Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent and do a reboot first before reinstalling.

Thank you very much for patience while our engineers worked hard to resolve the issue. A special thanks for the data provided by a few users that helped us identify the problem in the Behavior Protection layer.

Thank you,

Vlad B

On 10/11/2018 at 6:24 PM, vbarytskyy said:

Hello,

I would like to provide some updates on this subject--

On Oct 8th we started pushing out a hotfix to resolve the high resource usage issue. It is being metered and watched closely at the moment as an upgrade. For highly impacted machines, reinstalling Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent will force the machine to download the latest (hotfixed) version. For impacted servers, I would advise to remove the Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent and do a reboot first before reinstalling.

Thank you very much for patience while our engineers worked hard to resolve the issue. A special thanks for the data provided by a few users that helped us identify the problem in the Behavior Protection layer.

Thank you,

Vlad B

How can i tell if the hotfix has been applied to my endpoints?

• 2 weeks later...

I got tired waiting on this to be pushed out (in the hopes it fixed the memory leak) i went and created a policy with no protection turned on. Moved the endpoints into that policy...ran a check for updates...it removed the old version...then i moved the endpoints back into the policy with protection enabled and it grabbed the 3.6.1.2716 version

• 1 month later...

I have a report of at least 5 machines with this version 3.6.1.2716 where the machines take upwards of 30 minutes to boot up to a usable desktop.   Sounds crazy, but the tech that is working the issue said with the services disabled the machines go back to the 90-120 second boot window.

These are Win7 4-bit machines with 8+ GB of RAM.

Anyone else seeing this?

Unfortunately, ever since we installed the Endpoint Security this past summer we've had nothing but performance issues.  We even have a few machines where the software will not install properly and there is no resolution as of yet and it's literally been months.  Credibility of the solution is suffering.