Web Protection possible conflict - Avast also installed (1776blues)

Currently I have been unable to turn on web protection. It has nothing to do with BSOD's, and everything to do with losing my internet connection. This began to happen after Avast put out an update, which I applied on Thursday the 23rd. That's when I decided to take the plunge and turn on my web protection. Within a few hours I started experiencing internet connection issues and browser freezing. Once I couldn't open event viewer. I would have to reboot using the reset button because normal restart would hang forever. I then chose to not load Avast and left web protection on and still had the same problem. Last night I turned off web protection and I've had no issues since. 

My MWB 3 is up to date, so I'm thinking I will have to either repair Avast or reinstall it as well as reinstalling MWB 3. I've been to Avast forum and searched their forum for issues with their latest update.

That's definitely a separate issue.  Just for the sake of avoiding confusion and to make sure that you get help specific to the problems you're seeing, would you mind creating a new thread by clicking here and describing the problems you're having, also including the following?:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

That will provide info about your system and Malwarebytes installation to help the team to troubleshoot your issue.

Thanks

Awesome, thanks Bob :)

@1776blues you can just add to this thread now instead of creating a new one and we'll keep track of your issue here.  If there are any new developments on the Avast! front please let us know and I'll be sure to inform the QA and Support teams so that they can dive into it as well on their end for testing and documentation if it ends up being necessary.

First, let me correct the title of this thread. It's not that web protection won't run, its the fact that if I do enable web protection it causes some interference with internet access, access to windows programs such as network diagnosis, event viewer, etc....This happened after I updated Avast.

Also, at first my system struggled before applying the Avast update, which I do not have set to automatic since I like to apply the updates when I'm ready. There was no indication there was an update available for some odd reason. I found out by opening the program's interface due to the system struggle. That's when I updated the program and after that I turned on MWB 3's web protection. I still had a problem with the above mentioned issues, so I turned off web protection.

I found this thread on Avast's forums Avast Blocking Access to Internet After Update 18.6.2349

Excerpts;

"It seems that aswStreamFilter.dll was not updated to new version on your PC and we need to find out why."

Yes, laptop got stuck completely. I followed the advice on malwarebytesforum and turned off the real site protection. It works...for now.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/235523-possible-conflict-between-malwarebytes-and-avast/

'Hello,

We have identified the issue as a problem during program update, that left some old Avast stuff there, that should have been updated.

To fix the problem please perform a repair: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Repair-Antivirus
Or uninstall and newly re-install your Avast Antivirus.

Permanent fix for the update issue is coming in future version.

Thank you,
Filip"

I just found this about an hour ago and haven't performed the repair, but I did see 2 of the old files identified in Avast. You'll also notice that a MWB user on Avast posted a MWB thread on this issue. I'll update this with my results later after I'm done with my original plans for tonight.

• tetonbob changed the title to Web Protection possible conflict - Avast also installed (1776blues)